About decades and divisions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2015 23:29
  • Post subject:
i have a hard time calling any particular decade superior to another. they're all different. one decade is apples. the next is oranges. this go around is bananas. the decade we're in will always be the most exciting to me because hey, who knows what it holds, right? but even with that in mind, i'm always uncovering gold from other decades.
FlorianJones

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2015 03:18
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
i have a hard time calling any particular decade superior to another. they're all different. one decade is apples. the next is oranges. this go around is bananas. the decade we're in will always be the most exciting to me because hey, who knows what it holds, right? but even with that in mind, i'm always uncovering gold from other decades.

This is really a perfect summary of my opinion as well. 2000's and 2010's will cover my life from age 5-25, so I'm sure those years will be important to me my whole life, but that would very likely change were I born in a different time period.
On the topic of where the music I like comes from though, I've noticed a strange trend. Almost all my favorite 70's albums are British, but as you move through the decades, the proportion of American albums to British albums I listen to becomes increasingly in favor of America. This decade, almost all my favorites are American. And, when it comes to other countries, I usually only listen to albums in the English language. It's the only language I speak, and I don't get as much enjoyment if I don't speak the language.
Precedent

• Posted: 09/20/2015 03:48
  • Post subject:
i prefer the 2010s to any other decade because most of my favorite genres have had (2010-2015) essential releases that have really clicked with me
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/20/2015 12:03
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Half the fun of being young is thinking that most of the best stuff is being made right now and fuck all the crotchety old guys who think they know better. Yeah, you stop thinking that when you're older, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.

Correct it's what keeps things fresh, the arrogance of youth if you will. Personally the best time for me falls into 2 decades. That period from 1985 - 1993 really stands out for the music I love, alt rock / Shoegaze / Indie Pop. And why am I so fond of this era? Erm cause I was aged between 14-23 going to loads of gigs, getting wasted, falling in and out of love, was surrounded by the best friends and through the way I dressed felt totally connected to the music of that era.

So that period will always be most vivid and most loved for me. ojectively I think the 70's was probably the best and most exciting decade whilst I think the 2010's has been the weakest, a bit like a photo copy of a photo copy of a photocopy. But again this view is probably more to do with my age than a statement with any truth to it.

One thing I'd like to point out is for this site to work best we need as many age groups as possible adding charts. I'd imagine at least 70% of users are teenagers/early to mid 20's and experience tells me that half of that number won't have the same passion or even be that bothered with music once they get past 30/35/40 years of age. So next time someone wishes to insult another users taste with the 'dad rock' slur perhaps think about the fact that as the 'supposed dad rocker' is even participating on this site it shows that their passion for music is still intact...will your passion still be there in 20 years?

"So we go inside and we gravely read the stones
all those people all those lives
Where are they now?
With loves and hates and passions just like mine
They were born and then they lived and then they died
Seems so unfair
And I want to cry" - Morrissey 1986
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2016 20:35
  • Post subject:
Unfortunately, groupings of 10 or so great years don't fall neatly into a particular decade. For jazz, the golden era was roughly 1954 - 1966, for rock 1966-1975. Personally, I see a huge hole in music about a decade long, but it also spans decades, running roughly 1994 - 2004.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/20/2016 21:24
  • Post subject:
1820's

...off the top of my head

Most of music history can barely lift a fist in contention with the astonishing late periods of Beethoven and Schubert. It's a stroke of incredible timing (and personal misfortune) that they happened in the same decade. Schubert is the only artist short of Mozart, where it is conceivable that, if he lived quite a while longer, he just may have eventually surpassed Beethoven -- though at the same time this is tough to assert, because his greatest works were both informed by Beethoven's as well as his own personal misfortune, distressed state of mind, and ill health that was leading to his death, and seem to be inspired by the very fact that he felt he was running out of time and a profound yearning to escape that reality.
  • Visit poster's website