Listening habits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
EarthBoundRules

Canada

• Posted: 10/17/2016 18:31
  • Post subject:
I used to listen to the same music over and over again obsessively, but I've tried to combat this by rating an album and then moving on, unless it's a favourite. So far I've had great success by limiting myself this way. I get to hear more music that I like this way too.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/18/2016 02:03
  • Post subject:
Since joining this website a few months ago I would say a 1/3 of my album listens are now new ones. I'm expanding my musical horizons man.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2017 20:39
  • Post subject:
I go in phases. Sometimes I listen to nothing but new-to-me music for weeks at a time. Others I settle into old standards, but usually only for days at a time rather than weeks.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2017 20:59
  • Post subject:
measurement of days between listens, higher the line = more frequent listens

I posted this on RYM but didnt get much response, maybe you all have some thoughts:

I started keeping a spreadsheet in the beginning of 2016 for every time I listen to a full release. I made this chart based on the days between listens for everything I listened to more than 3 times over the course of that year. So like if I listened to something on Monday and then on Wednesday, that second listen got a 2 value.

https://gfycat.com/PitifulUnfortunateCirriped

A dot appears on the date of the 2nd listen, at the very top if I listened to it more than once in a day, and lower if it was longer. And also the dots are smaller if the album listening is more frequent, and they grow as they move further down. And then as the animation progresses, the dots move up and down depending on whether the next listen was sooner or later, and the dots disappear when they weren't listened to again in the year. So what I think of this as showing is a sort of listening experience density, showing when albums get into that period of dense listening (the 0-10 range, imo), how long they stay there, and what happens to them after that. And I know it doesn't seem like anything actually stays in that range long. It is hard to follow with all the dots. But keep in mind that this is compressing a year into 14 seconds. Some of these albums do stay in that dense listening period for around a whole month.

But maybe that's not really that long? Like if someone was more into songs than albums, it doesn't seem unreasonable for dense listening periods for something to span many months, even the majority of the year.

So, do you also have these sorts of dense listening experiences, how long are they? Do you continue to hold on to and maintain relationships with your favorites, like do you keep the dots you truly value from falling below a certain level? How frequently? There's probably other questions, I don't know, I think there's something interesting here but I don't think I see all of it, and maybe I'm wrong entirely about it being interesting at all.
  • Visit poster's website
albumceleste

• Posted: 01/18/2017 01:04
  • Post subject:
My habits change overtime but for the last few years have remained like this:

I listen usually 2 albums at night after my kids are gone to bed. Sometimes one or sometimes 3 but 2 is a fair average. Usually start with the deepest one/more musically dense genre and then the second often a lighter one.

And then I have my pendrive on the car with 5 or 6 albums from my digitalized collection. On a weekly basis each one of those have 2 or 3 runs through the week. Then at weekend I change them for another 5 or 6 albums for the upcoming week.