Best Ever Films of The 30's [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2017 06:25
  • Post subject:
I'd love to do another overall list since I wasn't involved in the first, but doing so I would pretty much pick from the top of all my decade lists so doing the silent era beforehand would make sense, especially since we'll get a lot of recs from it that may influence out overall lists.

An actors list is an interesting idea but personally I just tried to make one on IMDb and it was all kinds of fucked up so I deleted it.

But yeah romcoms is cool. Gonna be a tough one as it's not particularly my genre of choice but I've amounted a large VHS collection that will help me refamiliarize with some 80s and 90s films (I'm still well versed in 30s-50s, but interesting thing is I can't recall watching many from the 60s and 70s)
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2017 11:28
  • Post subject:
Should it be strictly films with both romance and comedy genre tags? Or anything with the romance genre tag? There are many great romance films that aren't comedy (Bound, Body Heat, all the Before movies, Casablanca, Eternal Sunshine, etc). What do you all think? Either way is ok with me.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/20/2017 14:49
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Should it be strictly films with both romance and comedy genre tags? Or anything with the romance genre tag? There are many great romance films that aren't comedy (Bound, Body Heat, all the Before movies, Casablanca, Eternal Sunshine, etc). What do you all think? Either way is ok with me.

This is where I'm struggling Sad I might just do the same rules that I implemented for the horror list. If you believe a film is a romcom, you'll be allowed to put it on your list. If other people agree with you, it'll get more votes, and it'll probably make the list. Films that only receive one vote never have enough points to make it on the list anyway.

It could be easier to just do 'romance' films, because it's a pretty easy filter on most movie databases.
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2017 04:25
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
This is where I'm struggling Sad I might just do the same rules that I implemented for the horror list. If you believe a film is a romcom, you'll be allowed to put it on your list. If other people agree with you, it'll get more votes, and it'll probably make the list. Films that only receive one vote never have enough points to make it on the list anyway.

It could be easier to just do 'romance' films, because it's a pretty easy filter on most movie databases.

Yeah I tried to go through both of these tags of my ratings on IMDb. Movies like American Beauty and Eternal Sunshine that would be very high on my list have comedic moments but they're not comedies, so I'm not sure whether or not to list movies like them if it's rom-coms. Romance might be easier. But then again doing romance would mean Casablanca surely in the overall top 10 versus (probably) not even in the top 100 if people held true to romcom guides.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/21/2017 17:30
  • Post subject:
Aight, I think it'll be boiled down to romance. Films where the love story is the main plot, etc... comedic and dramatic.

Also, on a side note, would you guys be opposed to an overall list being capped at 250 entries instead of 100? or is that too much?
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 01/21/2017 18:26
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Also, on a side note, would you guys be opposed to an overall list being capped at 250 entries instead of 100? or is that too much?

The more the merrier
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/10/2017 00:02
  • Post subject:
Just watched Limite (1931, Dir. Mario Peixoto), and if I had watched it before now it would have certainly been on my list. Maybe even my top 10. One of the best silent films I think I've ever seen. Highly recommend it. It has a fantastic narrative and overall it's a fascinating visual experience.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/10/2017 01:50
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Just watched Limite (1931, Dir. Mario Peixoto), and if I had watched it before now it would have certainly been on my list. Maybe even my top 10. One of the best silent films I think I've ever seen. Highly recommend it. It has a fantastic narrative and overall it's a fascinating visual experience.

Love

such an incredible film