Best Ever Films of 2016 [Poll: Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2017 04:17
  • Post subject:
I get it on born to be blue. However I will tentatively point out it was released in the US and Canada on March 30th 2016 (per the ol' IMDB.). And strictly in festivals before that going back to September of '15. Again, no release outside of festivals before march 2016.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/24/2017 19:17
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
I get it on born to be blue. However I will tentatively point out it was released in the US and Canada on March 30th 2016 (per the ol' IMDB.). And strictly in festivals before that going back to September of '15. Again, no release outside of festivals before march 2016.

Um... Well, okay. I guess. The more the merrier anyway. Met the director a while back, we talked about how he made Sudbury look like New York and whatnot. Cool guy. I love how he turned Miles into a villain.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/24/2017 19:23
  • Post subject:
My list:

1. La La Land
2. Paterson
3. Moonlight
4. The Salesman
5. Sing Street
6. Toni Erdmann
7. Manchester By The Sea
8. I, Daniel Blake
9. The Red Turtle
10. Captain Fantastic

11. Personal Shopper
12. Jackie
13. The Handmaiden
14. It's Only The End of The World
15. Arrival
16. American Honey
17. Swiss Army Man
18. The Neon Demon
19. Elle
20. Hell of High Water

21. Zootopia
22. Blue Jay
23. The Nice Guys
24. Hunt For The Wilder People
25. Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them
26. Julieta
27. The Love Witch
28. Graduation
29. Southside With You
30. Moana

31. Neruda
32. Nocturnal Animals
33. Hail Caesar
34. The Happiest Day In The Life of Olli Maki
35. Aquarius
36. Tallulah
37. Fences
38. Lion
39. April and The Extraordinary World
40. Mean Dreams

41. Burn Your Maps
42. Money Monster
43. Midnight Special
44. After The Storm
45. Love & Friendship
46. Kubo & The Two Strings
47. Cafe Society
48. Gleason
49. Everybody Wants Some!!
50. Nocturama

Male performances:

1. Shahab Hosseini (The Salesman)
2. Casey Affleck (Manchester By The Sea)
3. Adam Driver (Paterson)
4. Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)
5. Jeff Bridges (Hell or High Water)
6. Peter Simonischek (Toni Erdmann)
7. Vincent Cassel (It’s Only The End of The World)
8. Alden Ehrenreich (Hail Caesar)
9. Dave Johns (I, Daniel Blake)
10. Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)

Female performances:

1. Natalie Portman (Jackie)
2. Naomie Harris (Moonlight)
3. Isabelle Huppert (Elle)
4. Taraneh Alidoosti (The Salesman)
5. Sandra Huller (Toni Erdmann)
6. Emma Stone (La La Land)
7. Sasha Lane (American Honey)
8. Emma Suarez (Julieta)
9. Golshifteh Farahani (Paterson)
10. Kristen Stewart (Personal Shopper)

Last edited by Hayden on 04/01/2017 21:18; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2017 20:34
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

Same goes for a few other films, such as Green Room, a 2015 film in the festival circuit but no non-festival release until April 2016. Where to Invade Next and The Lobster were also 2015 festival films, but weren't released in a theater near me until spring 2016. Yes it's possible I could've watched those films in 2015...if I bought a plane ticket in addition to a movie ticket.

In my opinion, that should make them eligible for both 2015 and 2016 lists. Any film that gets a festival release in one year, and a general theatrical release the following year should be eligible for both years' lists. I'm putting Where to Invade Next, The Lobster, and Green Room on my 2016 list (Green Room probably at #1) no matter what Hayden says. I can't stop him from deleting them but I'll be disappointed if he does.

Edit: Also The Witch and The Invitation, 2015 festival films, but not released in general theaters until 2/19/16 and 4/06/16
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/24/2017 20:59
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Same goes for a few other films, such as Green Room, a 2015 film in the festival circuit but no non-festival release until April 2016. Where to Invade Next and The Lobster were also 2015 festival films, but weren't released in a theater near me until spring 2016. Yes it's possible I could've watched those films in 2015...if I bought a plane ticket in addition to a movie ticket.

In my opinion, that should make them eligible for both 2015 and 2016 lists. Any film that gets a festival release in one year, and a general theatrical release the following year should be eligible for both years' lists. I'm putting Where to Invade Next, The Lobster, and Green Room on my 2016 list (Green Room probably at #1) no matter what Hayden says. I can't stop him from deleting them but I'll be disappointed if he does.

Edit: Also The Witch and The Invitation, 2015 festival films, but not released in general theaters until 2/19/16 and 4/06/16

This is definitely what makes individual year lists difficult Think

If the general consensus for Green Room is that it should be allowed, then I'll be okay with it. However, I won't be okay with The Lobster. It was even #18 on our 2015 list. Also, from what I remember, it was released in early fall 2015. It's going to be a hard no on that one.

Where To Invade Next is fine I guess. It just came out at a really awkward time.

The Witch... well... I'm on the border for that one. I'm not even sure why it took so long to get a wide release, especially considering it's A24. If it gets enough votes (I dunno... 3 or 4), I'll allow it.

For the record, regardless of what year they came out, those are some pretty great films. Plus, this is all in good fun. If the majority include a film, it's going to be included Smile
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2017 00:09
  • Post subject:
1. La La Land
2. Arrival
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Hacksaw Ridge
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. 20th Century Women
7. Jackie
8. Demolition
9. Silence
10. A Man Called Ove

11. Midnight Special
12. Knight of Cups
13. Hell or High Water
14. Sing Street
15. Hidden Figures
16. The Sea of Trees
17. The Nice Guys
18. Fences
19. Patriots Day
20. Passengers

21. Lion
22. Moonlight
23. Eye in the Sky
24. The Girl on the Train
25. Blue Jay
26. The Handmaiden
27. Sully
28. Don't Think Twice
29. Before the Flood
30. The Edge of Seventeen

31. Captain Fantastic
32. Live by Night
33. Snowden
34. Allied
35. Equals
36. The Infiltrator
37. Collateral Beauty
38. The Magnificent Seven
39. Nocturnal Animals
40. The Accountant

41. Kubo and the Two Strings
42. X-Men Apocalypse
43. Everybody Wants Some!!
44. Jason Bourne
45. Triple 9
46. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
47. Deadpool
48. Me Before You
49. Finding Dory
50. War Dogs

Every film on this list has its initial (limited or wide) release in 2016. A few premiered at something like TIFF at the end of 2015 but, well, I didn't go, and I don't imagine more than one BEA user could have gone. And the only ones that fit that description aren't going to get enough votes from others to have much of an impact anyway.

Male Performances
1. Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
2. Casey Affleck, Manchester By The Sea
3. Jake Gyllenhaal, Demolition
4. Ryan Gosling, La La Land
5. Andrew Garfield, Silence
6. Tom Hanks, Sully
7. Rolf Lassgård, A Man Called Ove
8. Ken Watanabe, The Sea Of Trees
9. Denzel Washington, Fences
10. Woody Harrelson, The Edge of Seventeen

Female Performances
1. Amy Adams, Arrival
2. Natalie Portman, Jackie
3. Emma Stone, La La Land
4. Michelle Williams, Manchester By The Sea
5. Hailee Steinfeld, The Edge of Seventeen
6. Viola Davis, Fences
7. Taraji P. Henson, Hidden Figures
8. Janelle Monae, Hidden Figures
9. Annette Bening, 20th Century Women
10. Greta Gerwig, 20th Century Women

If we're limiting to one performance per actor, then take out Andrew Garfield, Silence, and add Dev Patel, Lion, to the end.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/25/2017 01:14
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:

16. The Sea of Trees

If we're limiting to one performance per actor, then take out Andrew Garfield, Silence, and add Dev Patel, Lion, to the end.

Performances definitely aren't limited to one per actor, don't worry.

And straight up, I didn't think I'd have to bring The Sea of Trees up because I figured no one would put it on their list (to be fair, I also don't think it's that bad of a film. Gus Van Sant has had plenty worse.). I think it's fine to include it... from what I know, it only had a handful of invite-only screenings in 2015.

Knight of Cups might be iffy too, but I think it's fine.... I know a lot of publications put it on their 2016 lists.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2017 01:17
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
This is definitely what makes individual year lists difficult Think

If the general consensus for Green Room is that it should be allowed, then I'll be okay with it. However, I won't be okay with The Lobster. It was even #18 on our 2015 list. Also, from what I remember, it was released in early fall 2015. It's going to be a hard no on that one.

Where To Invade Next is fine I guess. It just came out at a really awkward time.

The Witch... well... I'm on the border for that one. I'm not even sure why it took so long to get a wide release, especially considering it's A24. If it gets enough votes (I dunno... 3 or 4), I'll allow it.

For the record, regardless of what year they came out, those are some pretty great films. Plus, this is all in good fun. If the majority include a film, it's going to be included Smile

Of course, it's all good fun.

Individual year lists aren't difficult if you wait until later to do them. But when do you them so soon after the year ended, you run into the problem of festival releases that have yet to hit theaters. If we were doing Best Films of 2015 right now, Green Room, The Lobster, and The Invitation would be on there because by now everyone has had the opportunity to see them. But that wasn't true a year ago when we did our 2015 list. Take the The Lobster for example:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa...obster.htm
Yeah May 13, 2016 if you lived in NY or LA (which I do). Mercury over in St. Louis couldn't have seen it until probably May 27 at the earliest (poor Mercury haha).

I know, I know. Lobster was theatrically released in several countries before the US dating back to fall of 2015, thus many BEA users were able to see at this time a year ago. But hey, if we had waited longer to do our 2015 list, myself, Merc, and other Yankees on BEA could have pushed it into the Top 10 instead of #18 (not that it deserves to be in the Top 10 of 2015 because it doesn't, haha, it isn't that good. But you all see the point.).

Great list Awaiting Andrew. I disagree with Deadpool being so low and the lack of documentaries (I only see 1, but correct me if I'm wrong). Arrival, The Nice Guys, and Hell or High Water kick ass!

Based on the lists that are in so far, I may put Sausage Party at #1 on my list to give that wonderful film a few extra well-deserved points. Seriously where is everyone's sense of humor and imagination? It's the weekend, and Sausage Party is on Netflix. So tonight or tomorrow night, bring some friends over, split a 30-pack, or a bottle of Jack, or you whatever you like, put on Sausage Party and have a blast!
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2017 01:25
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Great list Awaiting Andrew. I disagree with the lack of documentaries (I only see 1, but correct me if I'm wrong)

Yeah, I admittedly don't really watch documentaries, only the one is on there - which I was surprisingly quite glued to. But I'm really interested to see I Am Not Your Negro and 13th sometime, just probably won't happen before the deadline.

I definitely think Knight of Cups is fine, but of course I would since I put it on my list haha. My #51 is The Legend of Tarzan so if you want to replace it with something that won't get many votes that's alright.

And I didn't get the hate for The Sea of Trees. I mean it's no Good Will Hunting, but in my opinion not many are (it's one of my top 10 films).
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2017 02:00
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
Yeah, I admittedly don't really watch documentaries, only the one is on there - which I was surprisingly quite glued to. But I'm really interested to see I Am Not Your Negro and 13th sometime, just probably won't happen before the deadline.

13th is a Netflix production, so if you or someone you know has it, easy to watch by deadline. But honestly 13th isn't that great. It's pretty much a history lesson, and not much more (though a very good history lesson). Where to Invade Next and Weiner are the best two 2016 docs I've seen. Also highly interested in I am Not Your Negro.

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 03/25/2017 02:35; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website