Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/16/2017 03:37
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Nah, haven't seen it yet, but I've seen enough clips from it to tell that it's somewhat embarrassing looking. It just looks like a giant, slopped together mess. Everything about it feels so random and lifeless. It's like Malick took Coachella and turned it into jell-o. I might watch it eventually, but I can barely seem to get through the 1-2 minute clips because they're so boring and awkward. It looks like something a hipster grad student with a GoPro would make.

But like... this is one of the strangest turns in a directors career that I can think of. He went from releasing a film every 7-20 years (literally) and now he's shelling them out like potato chips. I haven't even had a chance to watch Voyage of Time yet, and there's rumours flying around that his next film (Radegund, not Song To Song) will be shown at Cannes. It's just so bizarre... I've also felt like everything he's done since The Tree of Life has felt like some amateur trying to make a Terrence Malick film. I feel like he just doesn't care anymore and he's hoping that people will just eat up whatever he has to dish out because it looks like you're watching it through a fishbowl.

It's just... weird Laughing

Cause I really like everything he's done apart from this strange downward spiral he's taken.... so it's also a bit of a shame I guess. I dunno. Anyone else feel similar?

I totally get it. To be honest I've only seen his widely known classics - namely Badlands, the one with Richard Gere, Thin Red Line, Tree of Life and that's it. I really like Badlands and Days of Heaven. I was perplexed but impressed by Tree of Life (#1 film requiring a rewatch), and I wasn't a huge fan of Thin Red Line - yet the cinematography and some of the moments are just too good.

I am personally looking forward to song to song. I've seen no footage of it, but I'm eagerly looking forward to its release. It will be the first time as a real deal movie fan that a major Malick movie was released so hopefully it kills and exceeds all expectations.

But I definitely have heard from other more hardcore Malick fans that there is a sad downturn in quality lately.

As for his strange Volte-vis in style (to some degree), perceived quality of output, and especially the sudden 5-10X increase in films....it is weird and a bit unprecedented. I can't think of something quite like it. It would be somewhat like if Tarkovsky from 80-90 released 8 movies which were all nothing compared to his first 20 years. Idk...does anyone else know of a similar situation in film history?

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/19/2017 20:20
  • Post subject:
http://www.openculture.com/2010/07/tarkovksy.html
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2017 23:10
  • Post subject:
Norman thank you so much I've been wanting to watch the mirror forever thank you!
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/19/2017 23:24
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
http://www.openculture.com/2010/07/tarkovksy.html

I didn't realize so many full-length Soviet films were on Youtube. There's tonnes of stuff in the suggested sections on the films.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/23/2017 23:29
  • Post subject:

Link

Just felt like sharing this. Looks like a blast.

Anyone have any other major 2017 anticipations?
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2017 02:04
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

This might be obvious but Edgar Right's Baby Driver looks fantastic, I'm also super excited for dunkirk.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/28/2017 03:42
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Hayden wrote:

This might be obvious but Edgar Right's Baby Driver looks fantastic, I'm also super excited for dunkirk.

Yeah, I'm stoked for both. You'll be glad to hear that Baby Driver just got pushed up over a month. It's coming out late June now. Haven't read a single negative thing about it so far. Apparently it's something along what Drive would have been if it was directed by Wright Laughing Should be great.

I'm not too big on Nolan, but Dunkirk looks like a home-run. Excited for that one too. I wouldn't be too surprised if it's in the main line up at Cannes this year.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/28/2017 23:37
  • Post subject:
lol
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2017 02:52
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Dunkirk and of course the new Spider-Man and Star Wars films are my clear choices.

Also, definitely check out the just released trailer for A Ghost Story, starring Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck. It received great reviews at Sundance, and it looks like A24 is going to knock it out of the park again.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2017 13:22
  • Post subject:
Just watched Upstream Color the other day.

It's interesting to me how divisive the film is, it seems like people either come away from the film saying "that was brilliantly written and so creative" or they say "that was such a jumbled, pretentious mess"

I fall more into the former camp than the latter. I can understand that the film is difficult to follow, it definitely is, but I think it's clear enough. It's one of those films that shows you everything and tells you very little. Even then, what it shows is kind of all over the place, but I think it all comes together pretty well and tells a great story. Plus, the thematic parallels with Thoreau's "Walden", which is obviously featured prominently in the movie, are subtle and well done.

Overall I really enjoyed it, one of the more creative movies I've seen in quite awhile.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website