ADP #8 These Days by Bon Jovi

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/12/2017 18:52
  • Post subject:
I’m going to be blunt, the last album I listened to Bon Jovi was over seven years ago—so any comparisons and recollections will probably be mediocre at best.

Anyway, I suppose I will get to actually giving you my thoughts on this record. That said, I’m not going to lie, every time you said “lyrical masterpiece” or something of similar notions regarding the band I smugly chuckled. But I’m not going to lie, I don’t like Bon Jovi and the idea that anyone regards them as anything beyond a blasé hair metal band attempting to invoke the working class is really surprising to me. If you ever watched Stephen Herek’s Rock Star you understand what my perspective is on the band. It’s not a flattering outlook.

The last Bon Jovi album I can recall listening to was Slippery When Wet, and skimming through that record I can tell that there are differences between the two but I’m not so sure I’d say These Days is worlds apart from it. Though maybe that’s because outside of some scattered influences from Springsteen’s camp (ala heartland rock trappings) I don’t really see much expansion outside of removing hackneyed and hokey hair metal synths from the Bon Jovi formula.

Lyrically, Jon Bon Jovi still expresses himself in the same sort of melodrama that he did years before (Livin’ On a Prayer, Wanted Dead or Alive) and I don’t really understand where the notion that he became a better lyricist comes from. This is certainly not rock music with quality lyrics per my definition and I’m trying the best I can to separate my prejudicial bias from the music itself. Hell, at the end of this record I only ended up liking a total of five songs and I only thought one (the opening track, Hey God) was anything more than passable.

That is not a good sign.

Ultimately, it’s a decent record but per the transitional period from the late eighties to the early nineties I don’t find it particularly special in any way; not musically or lyrically.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2017 01:31
  • Post subject: Re: ADP #8 These Days by Bon Jovi
Daydreamer wrote:
Have you listened to this Bon Jovi album yet?

I did today at work and agree that there are a few songs on this record that they pushed themselves on.

I didn't like the first track when I listened to it with the music video (mostly because the video annoyed me), but when I listed to the first track just as music, it was better.

I thought these tracks were songs that I'd probably settle for if nothing else was on the radio:
Hey God
Something for the Pain
Damned

Having said that, even if those songs were like a 75/80 cause they were catchy, above average rock songs, if I stopped to pay attention to the lyrical content I get turned off. It's just a little to oversimplistic.

I will say the guitar work on the album is pretty fantastic, if that's really all you look for in music.

So my takeaway is this:

Thanks for bringing this album to our attention and doing such a good write up about it.

A few of the songs seem to be a slight step above for the group. I did, however, find this to be reactionary to the music of the time (Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc.). I mean there's likely a maturity going on, but I wouldn't really put this in the class of Kid A (rock band goes electronic), etc.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 04/14/2017 13:54
  • Post subject:
Quote:
The first thing I thought of was Linkin Park's A Thousand Suns. Everybody hated that album when it came out, and many still do. Early LP fans felt betrayed by the change of direction while many early LP haters wouldn't give it a try anyway. I don't think it's a good album but I respect their attempt to try something different, more mature.

I've always loved A Thousand Suns a was always in the minority. Glad someone else at least respects it.

Back to These Days. Of course I didn't expect any of you to give it one listen and be blown away and change your opinion for 180 degrees. But I'm glad you did listen to it and if you found some enjoyable moments than I'm more than satisfied.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2017 17:43
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Quote:
The first thing I thought of was Linkin Park's A Thousand Suns. Everybody hated that album when it came out, and many still do. Early LP fans felt betrayed by the change of direction while many early LP haters wouldn't give it a try anyway. I don't think it's a good album but I respect their attempt to try something different, more mature.

I've always loved A Thousand Suns a was always in the minority. Glad someone else at least respects it.

Back to These Days. Of course I didn't expect any of you to give it one listen and be blown away and change your opinion for 180 degrees. But I'm glad you did listen to it and if you found some enjoyable moments than I'm more than satisfied.

I don't think A Thousand Suns is a bad album either. It didn't strike a chord with me positive or negative, but was well outside their established formula. For that, respect. I think it's better than Minutes to Midnight.

I agree with seth that DayDreamer did a great writeup on These Days. It persuaded me to listen to it, and I was pleasantly surprised by a few songs, but not the album as a whole.

Anyway I also agree with seth that These Days felt like BJ's reaction to the new sound of the '90s. I was thinking that while listening. This brings up a possible discussing point: Was These Days more of a sign of maturity, or more of an attempt to maintain the band's relevance in the fast-changing musical landscape of the '90s?
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 04/14/2017 23:51
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Anyway I also agree with seth that These Days felt like BJ's reaction to the new sound of the '90s. I was thinking that while listening. This brings up a possible discussing point: Was These Days more of a sign of maturity, or more of an attempt to maintain the band's relevance in the fast-changing musical landscape of the '90s?

Yeah, that remains a question we will never get the answer for. I like to believe it was because of maturity especially since they already changed their sound in the previous Keep The Faith album which already alienated some of their fanbase since it featured a more serious tone and didn't have the catchiness of their 80's albums. These Days continued the same path with even bigger departure and with bigger emphasis on bluesy ballad. I somehow don't think ballad heavy albums are usually well liked and commercially successful.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 04:56
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, that remains a question we will never get the answer for. I like to believe it was because of maturity especially since they already changed their sound in the previous Keep The Faith album which already alienated some of their fanbase since it featured a more serious tone and didn't have the catchiness of their 80's albums. These Days continued the same path with even bigger departure and with bigger emphasis on bluesy ballad. I somehow don't think ballad heavy albums are usually well liked and commercially successful.

I agree - as I was writing/thinking about the claim, I think it is fair to say it was the maturity of the band. They already had some great guitar work. And their style stayed consistent with, like you say, the Springsteen's America feel. Their look though does kind of take on that 90s alternative look instead of the hair metal look. Bands like BJ sometimes doing get a choice in things like that though - they kind of do whatever the record exec thinks will sell records.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 04:58
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I’m going to be blunt, the last album I listened to Bon Jovi was over seven years ago—so any comparisons and recollections will probably be mediocre at best.

Anyway, I suppose I will get to actually giving you my thoughts on this record. That said, I’m not going to lie, every time you said “lyrical masterpiece” or something of similar notions regarding the band I smugly chuckled. But I’m not going to lie, I don’t like Bon Jovi and the idea that anyone regards them as anything beyond a blasé hair metal band attempting to invoke the working class is really surprising to me. If you ever watched Stephen Herek’s Rock Star you understand what my perspective is on the band. It’s not a flattering outlook.

The last Bon Jovi album I can recall listening to was Slippery When Wet, and skimming through that record I can tell that there are differences between the two but I’m not so sure I’d say These Days is worlds apart from it. Though maybe that’s because outside of some scattered influences from Springsteen’s camp (ala heartland rock trappings) I don’t really see much expansion outside of removing hackneyed and hokey hair metal synths from the Bon Jovi formula.

Lyrically, Jon Bon Jovi still expresses himself in the same sort of melodrama that he did years before (Livin’ On a Prayer, Wanted Dead or Alive) and I don’t really understand where the notion that he became a better lyricist comes from. This is certainly not rock music with quality lyrics per my definition and I’m trying the best I can to separate my prejudicial bias from the music itself. Hell, at the end of this record I only ended up liking a total of five songs and I only thought one (the opening track, Hey God) was anything more than passable.

That is not a good sign.

Ultimately, it’s a decent record but per the transitional period from the late eighties to the early nineties I don’t find it particularly special in any way; not musically or lyrically.

I'd have to agree with this assessment.

Or was it... I love you Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 04/18/2017 12:00
  • Post subject:
I just remebered George Michael as an example of a previously mainstreem artist creating more mature and artistic work with Listen Without Prejudice released after his mega hit album Faith.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website