POLL: Greatest Works of Art of All Time?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/29/2017 16:25
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Okay. Tried my best. Took 10 albums, 10 films, 10 paintings, 10 books and then 10 miscellaneous. It's essential in no order, because I think ranked them altogether is silly, but I gave a vague idea. I put music first, cause BEA Mr. Green

1. Ys - Joanna Newsom (2006)
2. Nympheas - Claude Monet (1897-1926)
3. Breathless - Jean-Luc Godard (1960)
4. The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus (2006)
5. Ratatouille - Brad Bird (2007)
6. The David - Michelangelo (1504)
7. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (1998)
8. The Wire - David Simon (2002-2008)
9. Taj Mahal - Ustad Ahmad Lahauri (1663)
10. Breaking Bad - Vince Gilligan (2008-2013)

11. Starry Night - Vincent Van Gogh (1889)
12. Moonrise Kingdom - Wes Anderson (2012)
13. The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)
14. The Trial - Franz Kafka (1925)
15. Game of Thrones - David Benioff & D. B. Weiss (2011-)
16. La Nascita Di Venere - Boticelli (1485)
17. Nausea - Jean-Paul Sartre (1938)
18. The Beethoven Frieze - Gustav Klimt (1902)
19. Pink Moon - Nick Drake (1971)
20. Pulp Fiction - Quentin Tarantino

21. Philistines - Basquiat (1982)
22. Alchemy - Pollock (1947)
23. The Master & Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov (1967)
24. La Dolce Vita - Fellini (1960)
25. Spirited Away - Hayao Miyazaki (2001)
26. The Kiss - Rodin (1889)
27. Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Salinger (1951)
28. Guernica - Pablo Picasso (1937)
29. Funeral - Arcade Fire (2004)
30. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Stanley Kubrick (1968)

31. Crime & Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1867)
32. Donuts - J Dilla (2006)
33. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway (1926)
34. Dutch Interior II - Joan Miro (1928)
35. Community - Dan Harmon (2009-2015)
36. Just Another Diamond Day - Vashti Bunyan (1970)
37. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - Gondry & Kaufman (2004)
38. Trevi Fountain - Nicola Salvi (1762)
39. The Music Lesson - Vermeer (1665)
40. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine (1991)

41. Waiting For Godot - Samuel Beckett (1953)
42. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan (1975)
43. Stalker - Andrei Tarkovsky (1979)
44. On The Road - Jack Kerouac (1957)
45. Conversion On The Way To Damascus - Caravaggio (1601)
46. Ulysses - James Joyce (1922)
47. Bird In Space - Constantin Brâncuși (1923)
48. There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson (2007)
49. Howl - Allen Ginsberg (1955)
50. The Stranger - Albert Camus

The Odyssey and A Love Supreme should probably be on there somewhere.... might tack them near the end.

Note that all Monet's Nympheas can't be included as a single entry (unless you have evidence to the contrary). However, you can include the Musee de l'Orangerie group as one.

AfterHours wrote:
souplipton wrote:
The Seagram Murals were commissioned to be on display together, and a group of them were donated to the Tate Modern by Rothko on certain conditions. The paintings had to be displayed together in a room devoted to those works (and only those works), and the paintings had to be hung in a sequence specifically determined by the artist. It's iffy (but reasonably arguable) whether the entire series should count as one work, so I'm just going to go with the group on display in the Tate Modern, which I believe definitely qualifies as one work. (sources http://www.galleryintell.com/mark-rothk...am-murals/ and https://www.theguardian.com/culture/200...tsfeatures)

The Water Lilies are a different story. The entire series was never intended to be on display together. However, eight large scale works were donated by Monet to be displayed together in a room specially designed (with Monet's input) for those eight paintings. Putting the entire series as one work wouldn't meet criteria you laid out, but I would say the Musee de l'Orangerie group should qualify as one work. (source http://www.musee-orangerie.fr/en/articl...ter-lilies)

This works for me anyways, since I haven't seen all 30 Seagram Murals, nor all ~250 Water Lilies canvases, but I have seen the Tate Modern Seagram Murals and the Musee de l'Orangerie Water Lilies, so I can reasonably put those on my list.

Ok great, sounds legitimate to me. We can roll with the Rothko's as a single work, and the Musee de l'Orangerie group as one as well. Thank you for looking into this.

• Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/29/2017 16:31
  • Post subject:
Well....Nymphéas is considered a series, much like TV show in a sense. They weren't created in a sense of individual pieces. I have no idea why the handful in the Musee de l'Orangerie would be considered as something, when the rest aren't. Musee de l'Orangerie owns 8 of the series and hangs them in a room, but it's not the full series. It's just what they had the money and space for Laughing There's a section of the series at MoMa too.

I dunno... Monet didn't create the series with the intention they'd be split up and purchased by different institutions. I'm going to argue that it should be allowed as a collective.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/29/2017 16:58
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Well....Nymphéas is considered a series, much like TV show in a sense. They weren't created in a sense of individual pieces. I have no idea why the handful in the Musee de l'Orangerie would be considered as something, when the rest aren't. Musee de l'Orangerie owns 8 of the series and hangs them in a room, but it's not the full series. It's just what they had the money and space for Laughing There's a section of the series at MoMa too.

I dunno... Monet didn't create the series with the intention they'd be split up and purchased by different institutions. I'm going to argue that it should be allowed as a collective.

It's not that what you're saying doesn't make some sense, but I am pretty sure I've read somewhere that Monet never intended them to be on display together, and then souplipton reiterated this in his post, so I'm going with that for now, unless there is other information you have. Much more than any of us, it's up to the artist what is to be considered a single or whole work. If he didn't paint them to be on display together, it suggests very strongly that he considered them separate works to be seen on their own.

RE: Musee de l'Orangerie paintings ... "However, eight large scale works were donated by Monet to be displayed together in a room specially designed (with Monet's input) for those eight paintings." (source http://www.musee-orangerie.fr/en/articl...ter-lilies)
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 04/29/2017 17:11
  • Post subject:
Damn, I'm really bad at these lists (where is listmeister when We need him), after 2 or 3 hours of research in my archives, I decided for 5 movies, 5 paintings, 5 misc, 5 albums (and one song) and 5 books

1 - As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty - Jonas Mekas (2000)
2 - Loud City Song - Julia Holter (2013)
3 - The Birth of Venus - Sandro Botticelli (1483)
4 - Eureka - Jim O' Rourke (1999)
5 - Portrait of Edith Schiele - Egon Schiele (1915)

6 - The Birth Of Tragedy - Friederich Nietzsche (1872)
7 - David - Michellangelo (1504)
8 - Pulp Fiction - Quentin Tarantino (1994)
9 - Portal 2 - Valve (2011)
10 - Souvlaki - Slowdive (1993)

11 - Os Retirantes - Candido Portinari (1944)
12 - Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace (1996)
13 - Eternal Sunshine Of a Spotless Mind - Michel Gondry (2004)
14 - Tago Mago - Can (1971)
15 - Starry Night - Vincent Van Gogh (1889)

16 - Ecstasy of Saint Theresa - Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1652)
17 - Memorias Póstumas de Brás Cubas - Machado De Assis (1888)
18 - 2001: a Space Odyssey (1968)
19 - 1984 - G. Orwell (1949)
20 - The Sistine Chapel ceiling - Michelangelo (1512)

21 - La La Land - Damien Chazelle (2016)
22 - Hollywood - Charles Bukowski (1989)
23 - Mount Eerie - The Microphones (2003)
24 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Rockstar Games (2004)
25 - The Christ Redeemer - Paul Landowsky, Heitor Da Silva Costa, Albert Caquot, Gheorge Leonida (1922)

Last edited by Antonio-Pedro on 04/29/2017 19:25; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/29/2017 17:20
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

RE: Musee de l'Orangerie paintings ... "However, eight large scale works were donated by Monet to be displayed together in a room specially designed (with Monet's input) for those eight paintings." (source http://www.musee-orangerie.fr/en/articl...ter-lilies)

Ah, wasn't aware of that (the link you posted doesn't work, but I looked it up). I guess I'm okay with swapping it out for that. It doesn't really showcase the massiveness of the series, but it gets the gist across. I'll switch it for the 8 paintings in Musee de l'Orangerie Smile

Quote:
Portrait of Edith Schiele - Egon Schiele

Dying Edith Schiele almost made my list. Possibly one of the most heartbreaking works ever made. That's a great choice too though.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/29/2017 18:17
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
Damn, I'm really bad at these lists (where is listmeister when We need him), after 2 or 3 hours of research in my archives, I decided for 5 movies, 5 paintings, 5 misc, 4 albums (and one song) and 5 books

1 - As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (2000)
2 - Julia Holter - Loud City Song (2013)
3 - The Birth of Venus - Sandro Botticelli
4 - Eureka - Jim O' Rourke (1999)
5 - Portrait of Edith Schiele - Egon Schiele

6 - The Birth Of Tragedy - Friederich Nietzsche
7 - David - Michellangelo
8 - Pulp Fiction (1994)
9 - Portal 2 - Valve
10 - Souvlaki - Slowdive (1993)

11 - Os Retirantes - Candido Portinari
12 - Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
13 - Eternal Sunshine Of a Spotless Mind (2004)
14 - Tago Mago - Can (1971)
15 - Starry Night - Vincent Van Gogh

16 - Ecstasy of Saint Theresa - Gian Lorenzo Bernini
17 - Memorias Póstumas de Brás Cubas - Machado De Assis
18 - 2001: a Space Odyssey (1968)
19 - 1984 - G. Orwell
20 - The Sistine Chapel ceiling - Michelangelo

21 - La La Land (2016)
22 - Hollywood - Charles Bukowski
23 - Sister Ray - The Velvet Underground (1968)
24 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Rockstar Games
25 - The Christ Redeemer

Ok great, thank you.

Though I understand your choice of Sister Ray, it is not eligible on its own, though of course White Light/White Heat is. Also know that the entry of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel will include The Last Judgment, as that is his complete statement/work, even though they were completed almost 30 years apart, and even if, had we done this poll way back then in the years between we would infact consider the Sistine Chapel Ceiling the complete work. But Michelangelo, being one of the most ambitious artists ever, had more to say on the matter... Also, please add the artists to any of those you've missed (As I Was Moving Ahead..., La La Land, 2001, The Christ Redeemer, etc). I'm not going to have time to go through and fix these for the various entries whether here, at talkclassical.com, or potentially, other site(s) that will be included in the poll. If needed, the OP should resolve any questions/clarifications.

All of these lists are quite interesting in their diversity and to see what people consider the pinnacles of their genres. Again, thank you for the submission.

Last edited by AfterHours on 04/29/2017 18:20; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/29/2017 18:18
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Ah, wasn't aware of that (the link you posted doesn't work, but I looked it up). I guess I'm okay with swapping it out for that. It doesn't really showcase the massiveness of the series, but it gets the gist across. I'll switch it for the 8 paintings in Musee de l'Orangerie Smile

Quote:
Portrait of Edith Schiele - Egon Schiele

Dying Edith Schiele almost made my list. Possibly one of the most heartbreaking works ever made. That's a great choice too though.

Great, sounds good!
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 04/29/2017 19:01
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Ok great, thank you.

Though I understand your choice of Sister Ray, it is not eligible on its own, though of course White Light/White Heat is. Also know that the entry of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel will include The Last Judgment, as that is his complete statement/work, even though they were completed almost 30 years apart, and even if, had we done this poll way back then in the years between we would infact consider the Sistine Chapel Ceiling the complete work. But Michelangelo, being one of the most ambitious artists ever, had more to say on the matter... Also, please add the artists to any of those you've missed (As I Was Moving Ahead..., La La Land, 2001, The Christ Redeemer, etc). I'm not going to have time to go through and fix these for the various entries whether here, at talkclassical.com, or potentially, other site(s) that will be included in the poll. If needed, the OP should resolve any questions/clarifications.

All of these lists are quite interesting in their diversity and to see what people consider the pinnacles of their genres. Again, thank you for the submission.

No problem at all, shame I can't get sister ray in, will edit the original in a few minutes then.
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/29/2017 19:03
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Ok great, thank you.

No problem at all, shame I can't get sister ray in, will edit the original in a few minutes then.

Re: Sister Ray ... I hear ya. It is certainly deserving from a qualitative standpoint! One of the few single songs/tracks that would probably make my own top 50 works of art, so I understand.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/30/2017 08:39
  • Post subject:
There's something oddly defensive and aloof about the way you post. Your posts also give me the impression that you think your opinion is more worthy than the vast majority of others'.