Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2017 14:11
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Quite the contrary. Contemporary jazz is trendy as hell, much more than, say, 10 or 20 years ago. Do you remember 80s jazz?

I think that's partly dependent on which side of the pond you're on. Thank God for Europe, doing far more to keep jazz alive and thriving, than my fellow Americans.
  • Visit poster's website
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2017 15:09
  • Post subject:
I think I'm a lot like you. I like Jazz, but it really has to be in the right setting. The lack of melody really gets lost on me.

That much said, Charlie Parker is pretty great. Maybe as a classical fan, the Album Charlie Parker with Strings might be more accessible to you.

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a very accessible album. And, there is pretty good reason it's also often touted as the best Jazz album ever.

I have found that with Jazz, you're better off focusing on one artist at a time and growing accustomed to their style. Listen to full albums -- multiple albums, even. If you try to listen to a bunch of different songs by a bunch of different artists, the contrasting styles can be a bit jarring.

Maybe as a suggestion listen to Bird with strings. Then follow that with Bird & Miles, which will transition you to Miles Davis. Then listen to Kind of Blue. then sketches of Spain.

Jazz is a pretty big and widely varied genre, and this roadmap doesn't give you the most broad view of everything their is to hear... but, I think it's a good place to start and build off of.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 05:21
  • Post subject:
What I learned while discovering Jazz is that there are A LOT of sub-genres. I learned I'm not crazy about free jazz or avant-garde jazz, so if all I did was discover that and not know it... well then I'd never really discover I liked Jazz.

Probably easier to find the artist you like and then look up which genre, but eh, here's what wikipedia lists:

Avant-garde jazz
bebop
big band
chamber jazz
cool jazz
ECM jazz
free jazz
gypsy jazz
hard bop
Latin jazz
mainstream jazz
modal jazz
M-Base
neo-bop
post-bop
progressive
jazz soul
jazz swing
Third Stream
traditional jazz

Take a look at these genre's and perhaps there's an artist in it that you know you actually kind of have a inkling towards liking. Then like Lastings suggested, listen to it and get familiar with it until it's the back of your hand. Of course don't do this with a record you don't like - something you already almost immediately like.

Here are the jazz records I like and I you'll notice they aren't the traditional suggested ones because of that discovery of different types of Jazz (mostly). Listen to the first track or so of each of these albums and see if they settle better with you - if none of them do, perhaps keep digging - find that one jazz album that gets you into it. Idk - that's kind of what I do. Find that one song/one album/one artist and really fall in love with it and it likely will be a gateway.

But also what's said before is true - maybe you just don't like jazz and that's ok too.

The Wildest! by Louis Prima

The Essence Of Billie Holiday by Billie Holiday
^^^this one has recordings on it from earlier times and that's why I really dig this comp

Lady Sings The Blues by Billie Holiday

At Newport by Ray Charles

The New Sound by Les Paul

Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins

Soulville by Ben Webster

The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Conc...ny Goodman

Glenn Miller by Glenn Miller

Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus

Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Clifford Brown and Max Roach by Cliffor... Max Roach
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 08:57
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
I think that's partly dependent on which side of the pond you're on. Thank God for Europe, doing far more to keep jazz alive and thriving, than my fellow Americans.

josh abrams tho
https://eremiterecords.bandcamp.com/alb...etoception
  • Visit poster's website
deasla

• Posted: 04/30/2017 08:37
  • Post subject:
Hi !

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I listened to some of them.

I really really liked charles mingus "blues & roots" and "the black saint and the sinner lady".
I don't know there's something devilish about the songs on these albums that I never felt in any other musical style.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about ? this rythm and feelling.

If there's others artists who emits this kind of vibe (or something different but still sort of "demonic") I'd like to check them out ^^
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/30/2017 11:08
  • Post subject:
deasla wrote:

I really really liked charles mingus "blues & roots" and "the black saint and the sinner lady".
I don't know there's something devilish about the songs on these albums that I never felt in any other musical style.

If there's others artists who emits this kind of vibe (or something different but still sort of "demonic") I'd like to check them out ^^

Always good to have another Mingus convert Wink

I've been chasing that sound elsewhere myself, and it really is what makes Mingus unique, and so great. Definitely give 'Let My Children Hear Music' a try, a personal favourite of mine - also Mingus, and has some similarly wild moments.

Sun Ra is the closest thing after that in my own collection, 'Jazz In Silhouette' for something a bit more traditional, and 'Lanquidity' for something a bit more screechy and cosmic (a bit closer to Mingus).

Also, if you haven't already, Tom Waits is basically the Charles Mingus of Rock, and their records suit a simlar mood.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/30/2017 21:02
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
deasla wrote:

Also, if you haven't already, Tom Waits is basically the Charles Mingus of Rock, and their records suit a simlar mood.

Yup.
  • Visit poster's website