Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2017 20:30
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
One funny thing; I listened to a couple of old songs today on Youtube (Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu and some other stuff I don't remember). Saw this video and clicked and while listening scrolled down and the first comment is: "They Don't Make Music Like This No More". I've seen a version of that comment on every video that I listened to today and I'm not joking. Sometimes I feel like all Youtube comments are made by one guy.

My favorite youtube quote... see it all the time. It is a common phrase, but funny enough.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 05/18/2017 11:09
  • Post subject:
Some great stuff on this thread, i particulary enjoyed Skinny's post about why Biggie is so great. I've always wondered how on this site some rappers are much better rated than 2Pac and Biggie while literally everyone I know in real life thinks these two are the greatest.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/18/2017 11:22
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Some great stuff on this thread, i particulary enjoyed Skinny's post about why Biggie is so great. I've always wondered how on this site some rappers are much better rated than 2Pac and Biggie while literally everyone I know in real life thinks these two are the greatest.

Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few rappers I think are as good as those two, but if somebody says they're the two greatest ever I generally think it's a fair assessment. Interestingly - to me, at least - I remember reading a poll of rappers a few years back on who was the best rapper ever. Rakim came top, KRS second, with Tupac and Biggie at numbers 3 and 4. Whilst Tupac was the choice for rappers from across the world, no rapper from outside of New York voted for Biggie, and he still ended up only a vote or two behind Pac.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/18/2017 11:36
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
This is probably the best example I can think of when it comes to Biggie on a technical level. He only has that verse near the beginning, but he changes his flow every line or two, and makes it work. It's a really impressive verse. He's actually going over the beat considerably fast, but his calm tone makes it sound tame.

It's a great verse, no doubt, and one I've not heard before - definitely a more technical side of Biggie. I dunno though, I can't justify it under 'greatest rapper of all time' ground like some do, but I can totally hear someone that was a pioneer of the time.

Flow is such a tricky thing to judge, and maybe I can't appreciate it because, like you said, he makes it seem so easy.

I've always been more of a makaveli boy.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/18/2017 12:15
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
It's a great verse, no doubt, and one I've not heard before - definitely a more technical side of Biggie. I dunno though, I can't justify it under 'greatest rapper of all time' ground like some do, but I can totally hear someone that was a pioneer of the time.

Flow is such a tricky thing to judge, and maybe I can't appreciate it because, like you said, he makes it seem so easy.

I've always been more of a makaveli boy.

First verse of this is a serious contender for greatest flow ever:

Link

"Disappear, vamoose, you're whack to me, take those rhymes back to the factory."
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/19/2017 10:24
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:

First verse of this is a serious contender for greatest flow ever:

Much more impressed with this, have to admit. Surprised I've not heard it before - great song.