Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2017 23:44
  • Post subject:
You must worship the goofiness. Laughing

Just kidding. I get where people are coming from... I just don't usually agree with it... especially when they also think some terrible album is better.

Also, what probably could be discussed here is what do you think about the remixes which is why it was re-released?

I think they sound terrible - probably one thing about The Beatles is their music almost sounds live sometimes because of the way it was originally mixed. That's my take at least - the way the panning took place and all was actually some of the most exciting parts of it (even if at times not perfect and maybe annoying to listen to on headphones).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2017 02:35
  • Post subject:
Actually I only listened to the first two tracks... Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' mix is pretty fantastic.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2017 03:31
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

Link

Haha, pretty sure I saw Simon Pegg in there.

Puncture Repair wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:
A lot of The Beatles's music was goofy. If you're gonna criticize Sgt. Pepper for it, you can criticize every Beatles album for it.

And I think it's totally a fair criticism when we're talking about what the greatest records of all time are.

I can agree with this.

Puncture Repair wrote:
Sgt Pepper sometimes feels a bit more like Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da on repeat.

Don't think I can agree with that.

Concept album..hmm. You could call the Sgt. Pepper fictional band a concept, but it isn't played out for entire album. I always viewed it as merely a bookend to how the album opens and closes. Everything in between seems disjointed like murmur said earlier.

seth, A Hard Day's Night isn't terrible. With the Beatles is terrible, lol.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/30/2017 14:07
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

I think they sound terrible - probably one thing about The Beatles is their music almost sounds live sometimes because of the way it was originally mixed. That's my take at least - the way the panning took place and all was actually some of the most exciting parts of it (even if at times not perfect and maybe annoying to listen to on headphones).

Just skipped through the release and yeah, damn, I don't know why they feel the need to remaster everything every 25 years. The opening track is just stunningly bad, so we must be on the same page. Sounds like they cranked up the bass and treble and added reverb to the vocals, which seems like a very modern approach, but it's not subtle at all. There's definitely a sharper sound to the whole thing, and instruments sounds cleaner and more separated, but any kind of warmth has just been thrown out the window.

I've always kind-of liked the flat sound to The Beatles, so maybe it's just me. It's a sign of the times that they come from. They had fewer audio tracks to work with so they did the most they could with each one, so you usually get maybe four or five very distinct things to listen to, and they all feel very deliberate.

I know some people think the 'pure' way to listen to The Beatles is in Mono, because The Beatles themselves never actually did the mixing and that's what they heard. Maybe that's too extreme, but then so is the stereo job on most of their tracks.
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 05/30/2017 18:28
  • Post subject:
As a sucker for remasters, I think this one is especially excellent. The vocals and music are a lot more clear, and there seems to be more emphasis on Ringo's drums. "A Day In The Life" sounds especially great. I deleted the original version of Sgt. Pepper, which now sounds dated to me, from my iTunes because I know I'll never listen to it again.

I used to think that Sgt. Pepper was an overrated album, and that "A Day In The Life" was an overrated song, but this remaster is making me reconsider.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2017 20:08
  • Post subject:
My first memory of Pepper is being age... 18...?... at a friend's house and him playing the CD through his small but decent entertainment system speakers. Roughly 1 or 2 in the morning. He fell asleep but I made sure to take the whole record in. My most vivid memory about the album is hearing A Day In The Life that night and being half amazed and half scared to death as the first humongous crescendo kicked in while I sit in this pitch fucking black room. Only the light of the disc player aglow. The McCartney part kicked in and was one of the most incredible feelings of tension and release I'd ever experienced in music. Then back to the Lennon part and I'm like "Perhaps it's time I get into this band."

I do agree this is not the Beatles' best album (Abbey Road has been a much better friend for me). Pepper is an amazing moment for them and a high watermark in the canon of rock music and pop culture, just not their best. Incredible detail, layering, etc.. overall for me though, experimentation that worked. I don't love everything on Pepper (in fact I think Lovely Rita is a very blase McCartney moment and it's the main track I find myself skipping), but overall it's a record I can always enjoy. It's almost like a big display of arts and crafts.

I have not yet listened to the 50th anny remaster but I'm very eager to. I can't wait to see if they tackle the White Album and Abbey Road.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2017 04:34
  • Post subject:
LordMark wrote:
As a sucker for remasters, I think this one is especially excellent. The vocals and music are a lot more clear, and there seems to be more emphasis on Ringo's drums. "A Day In The Life" sounds especially great. I deleted the original version of Sgt. Pepper, which now sounds dated to me, from my iTunes because I know I'll never listen to it again.

I used to think that Sgt. Pepper was an overrated album, and that "A Day In The Life" was an overrated song, but this remaster is making me reconsider.

You know, I think I spoke too soon.

I'm somewhere inbetween your opinion and Punture Repairs... something about the way it used to sound was uniquely Beatles, yet this modern approach (especially for the high range instruments and specialty sounds (violin, organ, oboe, sitar, etc... I feel those REALLY pop well in this mix).

But alas, my favorite part of the Beatles... the bass, has totally lost its unique melodic sound... and is thuddy and terrible. The drums sound fantastic. Kind of surprised Sir dufus passed off on this being the Beatle bass sound that like Lord Mark, perhaps will be what they know. I much prefer the punchy mids we got before.

Also totally unrelated, Scaruffi can suck it.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/31/2017 09:10
  • Post subject:
I'll have to give this a full listen with headphones then, probably not fair to judge it on a skip through.
Allabaster

• Posted: 05/31/2017 12:31
  • Post subject:
The Sgt. demands we dress up for the show. It's a matter of form, you see. But as we dance and sing, it's as if half in a dream, both mocking the universal and towing its proverbial line. The show must go on, but complete commitment is more than we can give. It is more than we should give.
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 05/31/2017 13:30
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
The Sgt. demands we dress up for the show. It's a matter of form, you see. But as we dance and sing, it's as if half in a dream, both mocking the universal and towing its proverbial line. The show must go on, but complete commitment is more than we can give. It is more than we should give.

How does he know what everyone's thinking? Think
  • Visit poster's website