The Beatles' Sgt Pepper at 50: comments, memories, opinions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 06/02/2017 00:36
  • Post subject:
Well, this talk of the new remaster has got me legitimately hyped so I'm going to listen to it tomorrow to see how I'd like it.
Sgt. Pepper is on most other sites considered the best album by The Beatles. I don't feel that way, but I must say that the album has one of the best if not the best flow in all music. It just goes so effortlessly from one song to another in a way rivaled only by The Dark Side Of The Moon.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Ferrington

Australia

• Posted: 06/04/2017 08:57
  • Post subject:
Insanely good album no doubt. But as far as The Beatles discography goes, Revolver and Abbey Road have it covered.
  • Visit poster's website
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 06/04/2017 09:00
  • Post subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Pepp...oundtrack)

But how does it compare to this album ^^^^^^ ??? I just googled "worst album ever" after replying to a topic on the subject and found this gem, apparently full of disco cover versions of songs from Sgt Peppers. Apparently it was the first album to go platinum and then lose it b/c all the stores sent millions of copies back to the retailers who then DESTROYED THEM ALL. LOL! How bad can it be?!
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2017 22:38
  • Post subject:
Finally got a copy of Pepper's 50th on cd. Holy shit. I must applaud Giles on his phenomenal work. For a record known for having a huge array of colors, sounds, and styles, the new version expands on all of those qualities only making the tracks fuller and more 3D in a way. Ringo's drums are breathtaking, for me being a drummer and a listener. The vocal harmonies are even more enjoyable for me now. It's not so much a wall of sound, well it is, but the parts are all there to be heard individually as well as together and you can distinguish John, Paul, George a little easier.

It's like I'm listening with new ears. This album is just so much cooler to me now. Pepper might be climbing up my chart soon and I don't know if I'll be listening to the 09 much anymore.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 06/04/2017 22:42
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Finally got a copy of Pepper's 50th on cd. Holy shit. I must applaud Giles on his phenomenal work. For a record known for having a huge array of colors, sounds, and styles, the new version expands on all of those qualities only making the tracks fuller and more 3D in a way. Ringo's drums are breathtaking, for me being a drummer and a listener. The vocal harmonies are even more enjoyable for me now. It's not so much a wall of sound, well it is, but the parts are all there to be heard individually as well as together and you can distinguish John, Paul, George a little easier.

It's like I'm listening with new ears. This album is just so much cooler to me now. Pepper might be climbing up my chart soon and I don't know if I'll be listening to the 09 much anymore.

What is this 09 version? I'm not familiar with it

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2017 05:47
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:

What is this 09 version? I'm not familiar with it

My fault. Just referring to the original stereo remaster from the box set from 2009.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/05/2017 20:06
  • Post subject:
I still remember very well the first time I listened to the album. It was in 1977 and I was fourteen year old and on my first trip out of Europe. My uncle had migrated from Belgium to Carmel California and we were visiting him, my aunt and two nieces. My niece Linda was a big fan of Kiss but also had Sgt Peppers. She insisted on playing lots of Kiss (she was begging her dad to be allowed to go to one of their concerts) but all I wanted to hear was Sgt Peppers because I already was a big fan of The Beatles and especially Help!
And on that holidays I listened to the album a lot and became an even bigger fan of the Beatles. Especially A Day In The Life sounded so revolutionary to me at the time.

And oh: a bit after that that same niece came in the living room crying that Elvis had just died.

The re-issue of this album was a very good reason to listen to the full album again and I must say it still blows my mind.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2017 04:13
  • Post subject:
I spend me honeymoon in Carmel by the Sea. Nice little bed and breakfast on the coast (PCH). Then up a bit to Monterrey Bay Aquarium and SFO.
  • Visit poster's website
davidhuret

France

• Posted: 06/06/2017 09:54
  • Post subject:
The new mix makes me love Sgt Pepper even more than ever before: everything is so... right there, almost physically. What a band, what a piece of work... Can't get enough of it.
If one album is worth splurging for a multi-disc box set, this is it. Until the white album?
  • Visit poster's website