Eclectic music lover from India - esp. world, jazz, fusion

View previous topic :: View next topic
sachinchavan

• Posted: 06/15/2017 07:48
  • Post subject: Eclectic music lover from India - esp. world, jazz, fusion
Hello friends,

I am into my 40's and live in India. Over the past decade, I increasingly started exploring newer musical vistas beyond the Indian (Classical, Ghazal, and soundtracks) that I still enjoy. I realised as I listened to each genre, I tend to like and follow the best albums and artists in it. I realized eventually there's just 'good music' and 'not so good music'. And though the above distinction is subjective, I feel there's also an element of objectivity/universality in what constitutes good music.

A few things about my style of following music:
1. I like to learn more about the musician/band and the background behind their music.
2. I like reading others reviews.
3. I like listening to complete albums - they usually convey a story (literal or musical). Like Bob Marley's Exodus, even if they aren't concept albums like Floyd's The Wall.

Among the genres, I realized a bit of more inclination towards Jazz (from Dave Bruebeck to Norah Jones) and Classic Rock among western music. And naturally therefore, Jazz-Rock fusion starting from the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I don't listen to much Pop, somehow doesn't interest me. If I want to listen to something lighter/uplifting, I like the foot tapping music of the 70s-80's such as Boney M or Abba. But generally I like a darkish (existential) background to the music. It's on that background that the brighter stuff particularly shines.

And then I like to explore world music - from all parts. From Ali Farka Tourre to Joe Zawinul and Nusrat Fathe Ali Khan to Edith Plaf.

I look forward to this august forum and it's members to further my exploration of good music, from all across the world, and Snapple different forms of this divine art form. Please do make any suggestions you may have for me on artists/albums you feel I can enjoy.

Happy listening!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/15/2017 11:30
  • Post subject:
Wow! Great introduction. I hope you stick around. I'm excited to check out your charts. Your approach to music is similar to mine. For recs, feel free to check out my music diary in the Music Diarieries section of the forum. It's called The Mellow Zone. I'd love for you to start one of your own. I p'm pretty confident it'd be an interesting read.

As far as recs go start with this & let me know what u think. Peace!

Peace & Love by Dadawah

THE SHEEP SHALL TURN INTO A LION

Ras Michael aka Dadawah has a big heart. He feels, like few others, the suffering of the repressed. He's a true empath. And his mourning and sadness and empathy for all the repressed people of the world lives in his voice and and in his songs. But, these songs are far from sad. They're triumphant. For this is a deeply religious and spiritual album. One that essentially echoes Jesus in that the meek and oppressed will eventually rise above and inherit the Earth. For Nas (his religion’s name for God) is on their side. That with perseverance and faith, the multitude will overcome their oppression. That the walls of hatred and fear and ignorance will tumble before their triumphant and joyful love. For love is the answer. No matter what the question. No matter how you’ve been wronged. And through this love for Nas and for yourself, the sheep can and will turn into the lion. And then and only then will you truly be free.

Grade: A+. This is my favorite reggae album. I’m no Jimmy Dread. I’m no expert. Going to college with a bunch of prep school boys who literally force fed me Bob Marly’s Legend a zillion times (there was seriously no escaping it. It echoed through the freshman dorms like some kind of zombified monster) stifled my reggae growth good and proper back in my late teens. But, I’m now a late bloomer and, with the help of Jimmy, I’m beginning to see the light. I believe it was actually Hayden who turned me onto this particular record though way back when. And she’s a keeper. This is the album I play when I need to rise above.

For this is one of the most spiritually uplifting albums I’ve ever heard. The purity of Dadawah’s faith and vision comes bellowing out of the speakers and literally has the power to lift you up, take you out of your small, self-absorbed world and connect you to something far bigger than yourself - the global human struggle. It enables you to shake off the paralysis of self pity and realize that suffering is not a unique experience. That it is universal. And that most importantly, you can do something about it. You can sing. You can drum. You can believe. In Nas. In yourself. And thereby rise above and walk with the lions. And this powerful album roars itself all the way to number 3.
  • Visit poster's website