Father's Day

View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/18/2017 22:04
  • Post subject: Father's Day
Post something about how your father (or other guardian) influenced what kind of music you listen to.

I'm a Deadhead by proxy from years of hearing about every song and bootleg under the moon because of my Dad.

BONUS: Best Father/Son musicians?

Best song about fathers? (Cats in the Cradle, right?)
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2017 00:02
  • Post subject:

Barry Manilow II by Barry Manilow

lol
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2017 16:42
  • Post subject:
My dad's favorite bands were always ABBA, Electric Light Orchestra, Andrea Bocelli, Claudio Baglioni, Simon and Garfunkel, Ray Charles, and Al Bano & Romina Power, as well as a lot of classical and jazz musicians. I listened to all this stuff until I was in middle school. That's when I discovered modern pop music, so that was an awful era in my music listening experience. But after deciding to look into the music on Guitar Hero and FIFA I started finding a lot of modern alternative bands that I love now. Then I found this website, and now I have a pretty diverse music taste. And I'm kinda starting to come full circle, because I've started looking into some of those bands my dad and I listened to when I was a kid and appreciating them more than I have in recent years. I'm starting to look into non-English-speaking artists that my dad loved, as well as oldies acts that I had forgotten about. And my dad's starting to listen to bands that I listen to, like Beach House, Stereolab, and Kanye West, so our musical relationship is reaching its peak.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 06/20/2017 18:56
  • Post subject:
My dad's not the most musical of folks (unlike the rest of my family), he has however been responsible for introducing me to both Marty Robbins and The Dubliners, and in turn introducing me to the world of Irish folk, so there's that!

• Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2017 17:02
  • Post subject:
Without my dad being who he is, I would probably give less than a shit about music. So strange to think because it is my life in many respects, but he's played drums off and on for 35 years. I started playing the drums he bought more than he did about 9 years ago and now he considers them mine. I will forever be grateful for that and for him.

I've gone to concerts with him, listened to full albums with him, jammed with him, done coffee shop shows with him, and most of all learned through him, as he's not a drummer with 17 million chops, but one with great feel and has given me advice and brain droppings about the drums and how to make them musical (a. yes it's possible Laughing and b. the only thing that matters essentially), wisdom that I relay to my students to this day.

He got me into a number of artists I've considered favorites over the last decade or so. Stevie Wonder, Hendrix, Van Halen, Rush, Zeppelin, Dream Theater, Soundgarden, etc. Yeah, he's a pretty cool dude.