What city has the most good music come from??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2017 17:22
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I read some books by people who worked at Motown, and they tell how Motown even had its own hairdressers, dressmakers, dance teachers to teach em their moves, even wig makers. They had everything.

Wow! This is great to know. I had know idea. Would love to see a documentary/movie on this. Not so interested to read a book. lol. I'm lazy. Peace!
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2017 17:34
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Wow! This is great to know. I had know idea. Would love to see a documentary/movie on this. Not so interested to read a book. lol. I'm lazy. Peace!

Theres others, but the one I've seen is a BBC one called Dancing in the Streets. It also talks about the NY scene in addition to Motown scene. I watched it on YouTube.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2017 18:08
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Theres others, but the one I've seen is a BBC one called Dancing in the Streets. It also talks about the NY scene in addition to Motown scene. I watched it on YouTube.

Thanks! Will check it out. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2017 01:55
  • Post subject:
Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 07/05/2017 13:48
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Austin?

Austin has a strong musical history, beyond being the "live music capitol of the world."

Psychedelia arguably started there, with 13th Floor Elevators, and was carried forward by the Butthole Surfers (San Antonio and Austin active), Scratch Acid (who would become The Jesus Lizard), Ed Hall/Cherubs, and several smaller groups that formed a distinctly Texan brand of psych/noise; though from different Texan cities, The Red Krayola and Charalambides also resided and performed (Charalambides members still do) in Austin.

Austin also has a strong country strain, including at least Robert Earl Keene, Willie Nelson, and Larry McMurtry's son, though you would have to get Romanelli to tell you more about that.

There's Spoon, the most consistently acclaimed musical group of the '00s, according to metacritic.

Recently, due to a member of S U R V I V E scoring Stranger Things, there's been an explosion of interest in Holodeck Records, and Pitchfork even wrote an article on the burgeoning Austin synth scene surrounding that label (which I think is hilarious, because it's so barely existent in the city and the Holodeck groups rarely play out).

Austin has also been developing an improvised music scene (which I briefly describe in the intro notes to my Astral Spirits chart), though we are far behind Chicago, New York, San Francisco/LA. Expect to see names from Austin appearing more and more though within the next five years (if you pay attention to the music anyways).

And then every now and then there's one-offs that are well-acclaimed. Troller's album from last year is an example; Cross Record from a couple of years ago (?); USA/MEXICO from this year; And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead from the early '00s; Stars of the Lid and Explosions In The Sky from the mid '00s...

It's a strong musical city, but far from the strongest. As mentioned earlier, rising rents are to blame, due to everyone wanting to move here for the music (and other cool) culture...