Best Ever Horror Films [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 07/05/2017 08:29
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
jackbrown8786 wrote:
Thanks for acknowledging how bad Aliens is compared with Alien.

Poltergeist doesn't break top 80 though? Silence Of The Lambs was like around 70.... That's the best of all time. Shaun Of The Dead is 100% comedy. It's a comedy with zombies. There isn't one scene with the littlest bit of suspense. It's not even trying to be horror. At least Evil Dead has some horror elements. And if cheese is okay, I don't know where Child's Play is, that one's so much fun. The Thing and Freaks are way too low.

The worst horror of all time though is The Exorcist. A little girl walks/talks backwards, cusses, masturbates, and throws up on priests? That's a normal saturday night, f*&^ you, what else does she do? Nothing. It's a terrible bore. Again, f*&^ you. It's the Citizen Kane of horror movies. It's the Nevermind of horror movies. It's the Bud Light of horror movies. I'll never understand why everyone who likes it doesn't also like its s*&^ty sequels, elevating them to the same heights for no legit reason.

Halloween is boring too, the first scene tricked me into thinking the movie was going to be awesome and the soundtrack further convinced me. The following scenes were no better than its sequels though, and I'm talking late sequels. One of the only deaths was the ridiculous knife all the way through the guy, sticking him to the wall, a few inches from the ground. Dumb as hell, as is the idea that the guy's just "evil." Great explanation, a&^holes. The psychiatrist gets so much credit as an actor too when he really just hams it up and this is coming from someone who has ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH WILLIAM SHATNER IN STAR TREK. Halloween 3 was better and had no Michael Myers.

What did I just read? This is all over the place. The first bit, while mostly incorrect (pretty sure Poltergeist and Silence of the Lambs were way higher, and dismissing a comedy like Shaun of the Dead while calling a suspense drama the best of all time), it seemed sincere enough. I do agree that The Thing and Freaks belong higher. Then it suddenly turned into either drunk rambling or trolling of the highest magnitude.

I wouldn't be shocked about anyone going either way on Alien Vs. Aliens, Exorcist Vs. Exorcist 3, or Halloween Vs. Halloween 3. They're all great to me.

I'm not even going back, I remember it. Silence Of The Lambs is at 68 and Poltergeist is 82, beaten by sequels to Saw, it's total bs.

Also, Halloween and Exorcist are terrible, boring movies for the reasons given and always will be. I'm guessing I felt ranty and drunk to you b/c you've never heard ppl complain about how hammy Shatner's acting is and you thought that my comment regarding him was really left field and random, but it's not. It's like if a convicted murderer called something cruel, you know that s*&^ must be cold as ice. The fact that I have no problem with Shatner is very relevant. When a Shatner fan calls something hammed up, that's saying something. The doctor in Halloween could open a pork store. Everyone sucks on his D though, "oh the doctor is such a great actor!" It isn't true, he's horrible and that's why you don't see him in anything else.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2017 21:22
  • Post subject:
jackbrown8786 wrote:
badseed wrote:
jackbrown8786 wrote:

Poltergeist doesn't break top 80 though? Silence Of The Lambs was like around 70.... That's the best of all time. Shaun Of The Dead is 100% comedy. It's a comedy with zombies. There isn't one scene with the littlest bit of suspense. It's not even trying to be horror. At least Evil Dead has some horror elements. And if cheese is okay, I don't know where Child's Play is, that one's so much fun. The Thing and Freaks are way too low.

The worst horror of all time though is The Exorcist. A little girl walks/talks backwards, cusses, masturbates, and throws up on priests? That's a normal saturday night, f*&^ you, what else does she do? Nothing. It's a terrible bore. Again, f*&^ you. It's the Citizen Kane of horror movies. It's the Nevermind of horror movies. It's the Bud Light of horror movies. I'll never understand why everyone who likes it doesn't also like its s*&^ty sequels, elevating them to the same heights for no legit reason.

Halloween is boring too, the first scene tricked me into thinking the movie was going to be awesome and the soundtrack further convinced me. The following scenes were no better than its sequels though, and I'm talking late sequels. One of the only deaths was the ridiculous knife all the way through the guy, sticking him to the wall, a few inches from the ground. Dumb as hell, as is the idea that the guy's just "evil." Great explanation, a&^holes. The psychiatrist gets so much credit as an actor too when he really just hams it up and this is coming from someone who has ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH WILLIAM SHATNER IN STAR TREK. Halloween 3 was better and had no Michael Myers.

What did I just read? This is all over the place. The first bit, while mostly incorrect (pretty sure Poltergeist and Silence of the Lambs were way higher, and dismissing a comedy like Shaun of the Dead while calling a suspense drama the best of all time), it seemed sincere enough. I do agree that The Thing and Freaks belong higher. Then it suddenly turned into either drunk rambling or trolling of the highest magnitude.

I wouldn't be shocked about anyone going either way on Alien Vs. Aliens, Exorcist Vs. Exorcist 3, or Halloween Vs. Halloween 3. They're all great to me.

I'm not even going back, I remember it. Silence Of The Lambs is at 68 and Poltergeist is 82, beaten by sequels to Saw, it's total bs.

Also, Halloween and Exorcist are terrible, boring movies for the reasons given and always will be. I'm guessing I felt ranty and drunk to you b/c you've never heard ppl complain about how hammy Shatner's acting is and you thought that my comment regarding him was really left field and random, but it's not. It's like if a convicted murderer called something cruel, you know that s*&^ must be cold as ice. The fact that I have no problem with Shatner is very relevant. When a Shatner fan calls something hammed up, that's saying something. The doctor in Halloween could open a pork store. Everyone sucks on his D though, "oh the doctor is such a great actor!" It isn't true, he's horrible and that's why you don't see him in anything else.

Jesus.

Like really, you're making this about William Shatner.

It shows how much you actually know about horror when you only have something noteworthy to say about a couple films and when everybody is sucking on "the doctor's" dick. Like you don't know his name or you can't look it up. I think you've listened to one, maybe two peoples' opinion on Halloween and disagreed so you decided those two people were the entire horror community. Donald Pleasance was talented but not phenomenal. He definitely doesn't have the look of a movie star though so that's got a lot to do with his lack of roles, although he's been in quite a few fantastic movies that you apparently have never heard of. He's a fucking character actor. Carpenter didn't watch The Great Escape and go get Steve McQueen or Charles Bronson for the role, he got the quirky little bald guy. If you didn't have some moron whispering in your ear that Doctor Loomis is the most complete character in horror history you probably wouldn't feel so butthurt about a role being overacted in a low budget horror film. Because hello Mr Spielberg produced big budget Poltergeist (talk about some hammy actors) loving, Anthony "so creepy it must be horror" Hopkins dick rider. You get that shit in a lot of horror movies and most of them worst than Halloween.

Oh and it looked drunk to me because the majority of the stuff in bold print is outrageous. It's hilarious. It's the Stella Artois of comments, no fuck you. It's the OK Computer of horror rants. Fuck you. I love William Shatner.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/10/2017 04:08
  • Post subject:
jackbrown8786 wrote:
The worst horror of all time though is The Exorcist. A little girl walks/talks backwards, cusses, masturbates, and throws up on priests? That's a normal saturday night, f*&^ you, what else does she do? Nothing. It's a terrible bore. Again, f*&^ you. It's the Citizen Kane of horror movies. It's the Nevermind of horror movies. It's the Bud Light of horror movies.

Which film do you think is The Sistine Chapel of horror movies? Also, which alcoholic beverage and which grunge album?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/17/2017 02:41
  • Post subject:
I missed out on this, but since I love horror I'll slap together a list real quick of some of my favorites.

All-time most frightening film: Night and Fog (1956) I will never watch this again, but it's still the most horrific thing I have ever seen because it's real and not fiction.

Dishonorable Mention: Begotten (1990) It's just gross and disturbing, but I don't really think of it as a movie, it's more of an experiment.

1. Eyes Without A Face
2. Freaks
3. Repulsion
4. Santa Sangre
5. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
6. Suspiria
7. The Thing
8.Diabolique
9. Dawn of the Dead
10. Altered States
11. Repulsion
12. Jacob's Ladder
13. The Man Who Laughs
14. Haxan
15. Manhunter
16. Pi
17. M
18. Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1978)
19. 28 Days Later
20. Let the Right One In
21. The Cabin in the Woods
22. Bone Tomahawk
23. Clean, Shaven
24. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
25. Frailty
26. The Wicker Man
27. Misery
28. The Shining
29. Sleepaway Camp
30. Dead of Night (1945)
31. It Follows
32. Opera (1987 Argento)
33. The Church
34. Deep Red
35. Eraserhead
  • Visit poster's website
Viibes

• Posted: 10/17/2017 00:00
  • Post subject:
This gave me some great suggestions for what to watch on nights when there's nothing else to do. I would have liked to see either of the Evil Dead films in the top 10, I personally think that they're genre defining, especially Evil Dead 2.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2017 06:25
  • Post subject:
Here we are, a year out from making our horror lists, and it's crazy. I argued about the quality of many films and that many films aren't horror. Since then I've barely made any music posts. I've been barely active at all. But holy cow. A lot of you guys are really missing out. I thought I was a know it all when we were doing this. Now I know twice as much but still don't know half of it. There's so many great gems out there. It's a genre that you really can dig deep into. I still listen to music, but it's been mostly Pandora stations so I'm a bit out of touch on the whole albums deal lately. As a result the passion I once had for BEA isn't there, although surely like all of my vices it will come (and go) again. But a year in and I'm not ready to quit this horror deal yet.

Regarding the list I've still got beef with select titles but honestly since I ventured into the online horror community I've seen way worse and that's from true horror buffs. Our list is definitely more intellectual and thus better, although a little sleaze and cheese would have made it a little spicier.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2017 01:05
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Here we are, a year out from making our horror lists, and it's crazy. I argued about the quality of many films and that many films aren't horror. Holy cow. A lot of you guys are really missing out. I thought I was a know it all when we were doing this. Now I know twice as much but still don't know half of it. There's so many great gems out there. It's a genre that you really can dig deep into.

Regarding the list I've still got beef with select titles but honestly since I ventured into the online horror community I've seen way worse and that's from true horror buffs. Our list is definitely more intellectual and thus better, although a little sleaze and cheese would have made it a little spicier.

I still consider you a know-it-all when it comes to horror films. What sleaze and cheese would you recommend?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/02/2018 01:03
  • Post subject:
jackbrown8786 wrote:
badseed wrote:
jackbrown8786 wrote:

The Exorcist is great. This is because it was conceived as a drama mainly, and it works as a drama. This is what makes it better than most horror films. I don't see how anyone can say it is not an effective movie. There's nothing boring about it. Even though we've seen it's horror effects in a thousand movies by now, it just doesn't work the same way as it does in The Exorcist. Unlike a regular horror film, it isn't just scary or suspenseful or gross out, it's actually horrifying and disturbing and truly shocking.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2018 07:57
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
badseed wrote:
Here we are, a year out from making our horror lists, and it's crazy. I argued about the quality of many films and that many films aren't horror. Holy cow. A lot of you guys are really missing out. I thought I was a know it all when we were doing this. Now I know twice as much but still don't know half of it. There's so many great gems out there. It's a genre that you really can dig deep into.

I still consider you a know-it-all when it comes to horror films. What sleaze and cheese would you recommend?

I just noticed this comment now that it was brought back up...

Anything from Troma is gonna be quite a bit sleazy and cheesy. They've got a lot of bad movies. Most of them are so cheesy it makes them all borderline horror because they're all far more laughable than scary. But the best of the bunch are charming films with great corny humor and ridiculous effects. Some of the best from the studio (though they're not all horror) include:

The Toxic Avenger
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Troma's War
Cannibal! The Musical
Tromeo & Juliet
Terror Firmer
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead

Aside from that, for sleaze (and a bit of cheese too, and lots of ham) I love the double feature of Andy Warhol-produced films by Paul Morrissey, Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula, starring Udo Kier in the wildest performances of his career. Dracula in particular is a big favorite of mine, and has a good transfer on YouTube if you wanna check it out.

Another fun sleaze/exploitation movie of the 70s is the mental institution classic Don't Look In the Basement; lots of weird shit going on but it's actually pretty clever.

Burial Ground is the sleaziest zombie movie you'll likely see. The main actress has a kid (played by a "little person") who has an incestual fascination with his mother and while it's gross it helps turn this relatively second-rate zombie flick into a camp classic. Director Andrea Bianchi is well-known for his perverted lense, with Strip Nude for Your Killer and Naughty Teen being just a couple of the interesting titles in his filmography.

I actually enjoy the entire Slumber Party Massacre trilogy. The first film may not be a top-level 80's slasher, but it's very self-aware of that fact so it doesn't take itself too seriously which is actually refreshing compared to everything else coming out at the time. The second is wild and crazy and loads of fun. The third is a step down but still watchable. By comparison I'd say it's pretty much on par with, if not better than, its contemporary, the Sleepaway Camp original trilogy, which had a good bit of cheese itself now that it comes to mind.

Of course the melt classic that I've spoken about numerous times, Street Trash, falls under that category for sure. Another really cheesy 80s flick is the throwback sci-fi creature feature TerrorVision.

If you've got Netflix (been a while since I've been on it so don't quote me on it being there), DEATHGASM is one of the most pleasant delights I've come across since I got back into horror. Just a cute, lovely little film about a high school metal band accidentally summoning demons that plague their town.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, although I'm surely forgetting some. Again, a lot of these movies are on YouTube. Troma has their own channel with most of their stuff on it and there's quite a few quality uploads of others.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2018 22:21
  • Post subject:
I missed this when it was out but i love horror so ill throw up a list. feel free to comment if you like.

1. Halloween
2. The Shining
3. Black Christmas
4. Silence Of The Lambs
5. The Thing
6. Friday The 13th Part 4
7. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
8. Psycho
9. It Follows
10. Happy Birthday To Me
11. Alien
12. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
13. Evil Dead
14. Carrie
15. Prom NIght
16. From Dusk Til Dawn
17. Jaws
18. Terror Train
19. Scream
20. Rosemary's baby
21. Prom Night
22. Death Proof
23. Night Of The Comet
24. Sleepaway Camp
25. Curse Of Chucky
26. Final Desitnation
27. Happy Death Day
28. Saw II
29. Freaks
30. A Quiet Place
31. House Of Wax 1953
32. Halloween 4
33. Evil Dead 2
34. The Fly (1986)
35. The Omen
36. Jeepers Creepers
37. Fright Night
38. Poltergeist
39. Lost Boys
40. Night Of The Living Dead
41. Exorcist
42. Dawn Of The Dead
43. Zombieland
44. Scream 2
45. Halloween (2018)
46.Misery
47. Candyman
48. Basket Case
49. An American Werewolf In London
50. Shaun Of The Dead
51. It
52. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
53. The Cabin In The Woods
54. Nosferatu
55. The Island Of Lost Souls
56. The Burning
57. Maniac Cop
58. The Birds
59. Aliens
60. Re-animator
61. Slumber Party Massacre
62. Friday The 13th Part II
63. Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers
64. Toxic Avenger