Drum Talk, Recommend me some Drum Albums!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2017 00:00
  • Post subject:
AfterHours, thanks a lot for the suggestions, only heard a couple of them. A Love Supreme being one of my all time favorites. Elvin's creativity, physical independence, musicality, and ability to drive those songs was impeccable. He and Coltrane were meant to create together. Mingus' Black Saint also has some phenomenal drumming on it, took me a minute to latch on to that album, but it's beauty as an entire piece is matched by few. I love Art Blakey's playing too but haven't heard that album yet.

Also some records that have been on my To-listen List for a while like NEU!, Can, and Meshuggah (Tomas Haake is a fucking clock). Plenty of stuff for me to dig through though regardless, thanks again.
AfterHours

• Posted: 07/06/2017 00:11
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
AfterHours, thanks a lot for the suggestions, only heard a couple of them. A Love Supreme being one of my all time favorites. Elvin's creativity, physical independence, musicality, and ability to drive those songs was impeccable. He and Coltrane were meant to create together. Mingus' Black Saint also has some phenomenal drumming on it, took me a minute to latch on to that album, but it's beauty as an entire piece is matched by few. I love Art Blakey's playing too but haven't heard that album yet.

Also some records that have been on my To-listen List for a while like NEU!, Can, and Meshuggah (Tomas Haake is a fucking clock). Plenty of stuff for me to dig through though regardless, thanks again.

You're welcome, hope you enjoy the ones you plan to listen to that you haven't heard yet Smile
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2017 17:02
  • Post subject:
So I would like to thank everyone once again for their recommendations. Add more by all means if they come to you. I've listened to a number of the records listed and this is exactly what I hoping for. Cheers!

I've always loved this site because of the music it has helped turn me on to, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that there's always going to be more from you fine people.

So to keep this going, like I said above, keep sending recommendations if you'd like. Also, just to keep with the theme of Drum talk, answer the following:

1.) Who is your favorite drummer/percussionist and why? Top 3 if you are feeling adventurous, or just a drum nerd like myself.

2.) If you play the drums or any kind of percussion, who has influenced your playing the most? Who makes you want to pick up the sticks, yet throw them away at the same time? Laughing

3.) Finally, if you were to take a 1 hour drum lesson from any player, living or dead, who would it be and what would you ask them?
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2017 18:06
  • Post subject:
1) I have hard time picking just one;
Clyde Stubblefield- The creator of one of the most sampled beats in music, Funky Drummer by James Brown

Bernard Purdie- For somebody who is self taught, I still go back to his videos for the rudiments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAT9sed_XFw

Matt Cameron- as I mentioned earlier. The odd time signatures and hybrid punk/metal drumming have always been a favorite of mine.

2. The people above are influences as well as some of the others I listed earlier. No professional drummer makes me want to throw my sticks down, because it's their job to play drums. I get frustrated with this kind of shit, and wonder why I'm doing it in the first place. According to her description this girl has only been drumming for 5 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKuEw3mHGc

3. If you watched the Purdie video, then obviously you would want him. He's so much fun, and very knowledgeable.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2017 18:27
  • Post subject:
I suppose I'll get to answering my own questions

1.) My favorite drummers change all the time depending on what and who I'm listening to, but my all time favorite player is Neil Peart of Rush.

I once saw a publication describe Neil's playing as Focused Intensity and I have to this day struggled to come up with a more fitting, all encompassing term for his drumming. I'm not one to label Neil as the BEST DRUMMAR EVAR, as it's impossible and at the end of the day probably not worth crowning anyone with that title. Too many great voices all lending their art to the greater good. But he's certainly one of the greatest as drumming would look very different without him. As a younger man, I spent consistent practice hours every fucking day playing along to songs and albums, much of them being the works of Neil and Rush. His style has left an imprint on my playing as many of his beats, fills, soloing ideas, and creative phrasing for songs influenced me in a way that I still draw inspiration from today. How many players changed their bands the minute they joined? How many bands have a drummer whose style is so recognizable you could not possibly see any other player filling the void? Rush and Neil just mesh with all 3 guys being brilliant but goofy virtuosos. Neil's personality shines through in his playing, a smart and genuine man who is always looking to grow.

2.) Neil is my biggest overall influence, but Tony Williams, Danny Carey, Dave Grohl, Billy Cobham, Ringo Starr, Mike Portnoy, John Bonham, Alex Van Halen, Dennis Chambers, Phil Collins, Ian Paice, Matt Cameron, Elvin Jones, Lars Ulrich, Dave Lombardo, Will Calhoun, Dave Weckl, Steve Smith, Vinnie Colaiuta, Brann Dailor, Taylor Hawkins, Jojo Mayer, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Paul, Matt Halpern, Chad Smith, Virgil Donati, and probably 100 others have all played a notable part in me trying to find my voice on the drums.

3.) I might have to pick Tony Williams for my dream drum lesson. The guy is the most musical drummer I think I've ever heard. Blows me away everytime I hear him, no matter if it's fusion, bop, jazz, rock, solo, doesn't matter. I'm struggling to create a set in stone question I would ask Tony, but it might be something along the lines of "What is the key for you to play musically?"
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2017 06:01
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
1) I have hard time picking just one;
Clyde Stubblefield- The creator of one of the most sampled beats in music, Funky Drummer by James Brown

Bernard Purdie- For somebody who is self taught, I still go back to his videos for the rudiments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAT9sed_XFw

Matt Cameron- as I mentioned earlier. The odd time signatures and hybrid punk/metal drumming have always been a favorite of mine.

2. The people above are influences as well as some of the others I listed earlier. No professional drummer makes me want to throw my sticks down, because it's their job to play drums. I get frustrated with this kind of shit, and wonder why I'm doing it in the first place. According to her description this girl has only been drumming for 5 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKuEw3mHGc

3. If you watched the Purdie video, then obviously you would want him. He's so much fun, and very knowledgeable.

The Funky Drummer is just one of Clyde's beautifully crafted funk grooves. I love his style and he, to me, was to James Brown what Elvin Jones was to Coltrane, or Mitch Mitchell to Hendrix. The perfect drummer to compliment a once in a lifetime talent and propel that artist's songs into the stratosphere merely by playing on them.

I love Bernard Purdie as well. Super unique and identifiable style and feel. His pure joy and love for what he does shines through, seemingly never a moment of seriousness, but never in a lax way. Always on the ball. There's a Drumeo live lesson with Bernard that is archived on Youtube and I was able to take so much from it, everything from the playing down to the stories he was telling to make a point. Seems like an excellent teacher.

Matt Cameron is certainly one of my heroes. You're 100% correct about his mashing up of a couple identifiable styles and making it his own. A great bandmate for Chris Cornell. Matt is a massive part of Soundgarden's success and brilliance.
authorunknown

Sweden

• Posted: 07/19/2017 14:21
  • Post subject:
For the groove and the swing, there's no one better than Jeff Porcaro.

If you find a US recorded track recorded between 1976-1992 and you got the feeling that, "hey, this tune has a better groove than other songs by this artist". Then probably Jeff is involved.

He was not the super speedy, maximum fills, tempo changing circus artist drummer. There are plenty of those. No, he was just the best drummer.

Some highlights:

JoJo (Boz Scaggs)
I keep forgetting (Michael McDonald)
Calling Elvis (Dire Straits)
The Girl Is Mine (Michael Jackson)
IGY (Donald Fagen)
Cherish (Madonna)
Parker's Band (Steely Dan)
Rosanna (Toto)
  • Visit poster's website
scoob73

France

• Posted: 07/19/2017 16:06
  • Post subject:

Burn by Deep Purple

In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson

Emergency & I by The Dismemberment Plan
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 16:09
  • Post subject:
Absolutely, one of the great unsung session heroes. His death was a shame and utterly bizarre.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 07/19/2017 16:24
  • Post subject:

Mobile by Glenn Kotche

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website