What album was the biggest disappointment to you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 13:15
  • Post subject: One of these 2 one stinks the other doesn't but it's not me

Recovery by Eminem

Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 08/15/2017 13:29
  • Post subject:
Probably one of the joy division albums. Haven't listened to them in a while, but I expected a pretty decent album at the very minimal and actually listened to one of the worst albums I'll ever hear.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 17:22
  • Post subject:
For acclaimed albums that I was expecting to love but didn't, I'd say: Trans-Europe Express, Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished, London Calling, Benji, The Fat Of The Land, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and lots of others that I can't think of now.
For albums whose release I was excited for and then they disappointed me: Everything Now, Relaxer, Drones, Coloring Book, Turn Blue, MGMT...
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2017 18:32
  • Post subject:
Space-Dementia wrote:
For acclaimed albums that I was expecting to love but didn't, I'd say: Trans-Europe Express, Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished, London Calling, Benji, The Fat Of The Land, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and lots of others that I can't think of now.
For albums whose release I was excited for and then they disappointed me: Everything Now, Relaxer, Drones, Coloring Book, Turn Blue, MGMT...

Ha ha. Pretty good list. I'd totally agree with the exceptions of Trans Europe Express and Fat of the Land, which to me are the opposite of disappointing. Lol. but all those other so-called classics are fucking bores.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2017 03:49
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

It's a hipster favorite, whaddya expect? Good music? Not a chance.

hehehe.

Also que: hey I'm a hipster, so there's no such thing as a hipster argument.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 08/16/2017 08:21
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:

This was the biggest recent disappointment for me. It's the top-rated French Pop album on RYM, so I was expecting to like it. The vocals are pretty bad. The spoken word is cheesy and overly breathy and takes up far too much of the album. There is also a lot of poorly done half-singing. The instrumentals are fairly minimalist and don't add much to the vocals. I was hoping for more lush backdrops.

You said it : it's minimalism. The same album with lush orchestration, and good singing ? long forgotten.

baystateoftheart wrote:

What tips this from mediocre to awful is the lyrics / concept. People who don't understand any French might not get this from a casual listen, but this is a stomach-churning tale of pedophilia. It made my skin crawl when I heard him say she was a "delicious child". Later on, we get a whole track filled with sex moans from her. I knew this was a sexual album, but I had gone into it thinking Melody was a very young adult, so her younger age and the constant infantilization was a rude shock. I expected a creepy album with a lot of redeeming characteristics, but this was a beyond-creepy album with next to none.

Ok, the girl is 15, I've read somewhere. And, in proportional terms, what's the age of Nabokov's Lolita again ?
As for real life, 70's were indeed creepy sometimes. But the middle ages were even more creepy... And even today, you can still find states where the legal age of mariage is 8 year old for girls...And in modern states like the US, a 13 year old girl is not always dressed with the appropriate sobriety, is she ?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2017 20:27
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

This was the biggest recent disappointment for me. It's the top-rated French Pop album on RYM, so I was expecting to like it. The vocals are pretty bad. The spoken word is cheesy and overly breathy and takes up far too much of the album. There is also a lot of poorly done half-singing. The instrumentals are fairly minimalist and don't add much to the vocals. I was hoping for more lush backdrops.

You said it : it's minimalism. The same album with lush orchestration, and good singing ? long forgotten.

baystateoftheart wrote:

What tips this from mediocre to awful is the lyrics / concept. People who don't understand any French might not get this from a casual listen, but this is a stomach-churning tale of pedophilia. It made my skin crawl when I heard him say she was a "delicious child". Later on, we get a whole track filled with sex moans from her. I knew this was a sexual album, but I had gone into it thinking Melody was a very young adult, so her younger age and the constant infantilization was a rude shock. I expected a creepy album with a lot of redeeming characteristics, but this was a beyond-creepy album with next to none.

Ok, the girl is 15, I've read somewhere. And, in proportional terms, what's the age of Nabokov's Lolita again ?
As for real life, 70's were indeed creepy sometimes. But the middle ages were even more creepy... And even today, you can still find states where the legal age of mariage is 8 year old for girls...And in modern states like the US, a 13 year old girl is not always dressed with the appropriate sobriety, is she ?

Yann - one thing you have to understand is Americans are not as open about sexuality as other nationalities. I don't know why this is. In Europe answering the door in your underwear on a hot summer day is an everyday normalcy. In the states, you'd be charged with indecent exposure. Having a 9 year old run naked in the sprinklers would get you charged with neglect. In Europe, that more or less is just fine.

Our media and our legal system (you can marry at 16 without parental consent in some states) and history (Lolita was written over 100 years ago, and even then was a bit taboo) might say otherwise, but most see it as totally against social norms and it is illegal to do things in the united states that is legal in other countries in regards to sex.

Just helping you understand. I totally get other cultures/areas of the world aren't as puritanical.

Also the bolded statement above would be considered supporting rape culture in the united states (the idea that rape isn't that bad). Not trying to bust your balls, but probably want to be aware these kinds of things are actually very offensive in the US.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 08/17/2017 08:43
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Yann wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:

baystateoftheart wrote:

Yann - one thing you have to understand is Americans are not as open about sexuality as other nationalities. I don't know why this is. In Europe answering the door in your underwear on a hot summer day is an everyday normalcy. In the states, you'd be charged with indecent exposure. Having a 9 year old run naked in the sprinklers would get you charged with neglect. In Europe, that more or less is just fine.

Our media and our legal system (you can marry at 16 without parental consent in some states) and history (Lolita was written over 100 years ago, and even then was a bit taboo) might say otherwise, but most see it as totally against social norms and it is illegal to do things in the united states that is legal in other countries in regards to sex.

Just helping you understand. I totally get other cultures/areas of the world aren't as puritanical.

Also the bolded statement above would be considered supporting rape culture in the united states (the idea that rape isn't that bad). Not trying to bust your balls, but probably want to be aware these kinds of things are actually very offensive in the US.

Thanks for your interesting answer Sethmadsen. But I must say that in the bold phrase, I was not even thinking about what you say at all ! The "rape culture" (the association of these two words is sordid), anti or pro, cannot forbid stating things. And these things can of course be discussed (as you did), but, if possible away from political correctness.
  • Visit poster's website