Gary Clark Jr.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2017 05:44
  • Post subject:
U2 is also such a band. Much of their "overproduced" stuff post Rattle and Hum are better live.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2017 12:49
  • Post subject:
I saw Gary Clark live in Memphis a few years ago. He was amazing...a very gifted player.

But you gotta have songs, man...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 08/20/2017 16:56
  • Post subject:
Interesting comments.

Typically a musician/band is at their best in a controlled and engineered environment.

Still haven't received his music, so i cant comment on his studio productions yet.

Surprisingly, this unfortunate result has occurred with other well known musicians.
Years ago I remember reading about the early years of The Who. Apparently, the band
was not able to capture the energy of their live concerts onto their studio albums. This observation was
repeated by many different writers.

Also, years ago, I remember listening with a passion, to The Cars were mainstream, approximately 35
yrs ago. As well, I traveled to northern Michigan, USA to watch one of their concerts and i was disappointed with their live presentation. The music was fine but the musicians didn't operate the way I imagined. I guess, I had manufactured an image of the band and it turned out to be totally different.
Doesn't matter though, i still listen to their greatest hits cd all the time and enjoy a lot of there music.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2017 17:07
  • Post subject:
911Turbo wrote:
Interesting comments.

Typically a musician/band is at their best in a controlled and engineered environment.

Still haven't received his music, so i cant comment on his studio productions yet.

Surprisingly, this unfortunate result has occurred with other well known musicians.
Years ago I remember reading about the early years of The Who. Apparently, the band
was not able to capture the energy of their live concerts onto their studio albums. This observation was
repeated by many different writers.

Also, years ago, I remember listening with a passion, to The Cars were mainstream, approximately 35
yrs ago. As well, I traveled to northern Michigan, USA to watch one of their concerts and i was disappointed with their live presentation. The music was fine but the musicians didn't operate the way I imagined. I guess, I had manufactured an image of the band and it turned out to be totally different.
Doesn't matter though, i still listen to their greatest hits cd all the time and enjoy a lot of there music.

This is an interesting phenomenon isn't it?

It makes you wonder.

Sometimes people oversimplify and say, well if they suck live then they just suck. Must be studio trickery. And then there's folks who fall a little flat in the studio and are amazing live - do they distract from their poor songwriting with energy, or is it they actually aren't being captured in the studio very well?

eh - in the end it isn't that interesting. But it is disappointing to go to a show who you would expect to be fantastic based on the record and they fall flat and vice versa (fall flat on record, but great live).
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 08/29/2017 21:34
  • Post subject:
After listening to his music for 2 weeks i can say that his ability to write has room for improvement.
No doubt about it. The studio music brings this out- you won't get an argument from me.

But his handlers have created/produced an incredible live album. I couldn't stop listening to it.
its really really good.
Even though he performs his badly written music, its overshadowed by his guitar playing. Which is just smoking good.
Eric Clapton handpicked this guy to play in his New York Crossroads blues festival for his guitar playing, not
for his songwriting.
I think, in the future, the producers/handlers will get it right.

He's fresh, young, "super cool" dude with a unique sound, and is a joy to listen to.
It won't be long before he creates a handful of guitar masterpieces.
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 08/30/2017 00:39
  • Post subject: Re: Gary Clark Jr.
911Turbo wrote:
an amazing guitarist Gay Clark Jr. that I watched at the Ottawa Blues Festival.
At the moment, I don't have any of his music.
After this weekend, that's going to all change.

I was there for that show as well, and I'm in the same boat as you.

Thought it was an amazing show, and I meant to look into his discography but completely forgot until now.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website