BEA's 250 Greatest Films of All-Time [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2017 04:26
  • Post subject:
Have we ever done a best ever comedy films list?
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/06/2017 06:15
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Have we ever done a best ever comedy films list?

If we do, we might want to make a distinction about what the criteria/qualifications are for "comedy". For instance, Monty Python's Holy Grail is possibly the funniest film ever made. However, there are films that are much superior that arent strictly comedies but where comedy is still a very significant factor and among the genres the film encapsulates (such as Gilliam's Brazil, Kusturica's Underground, Von Trier's The Kingdom...).
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2017 14:53
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
If we do, we might want to make a distinction about what the criteria/qualifications are for "comedy". For instance, Monty Python's Holy Grail is possibly the funniest film ever made. However, there are films that are much superior that arent strictly comedies but where comedy is still a very significant factor and among the genres the film encapsulates (such as Gilliam's Brazil, Kusturica's Underground, Von Trier's The Kingdom...).

Well we could restrict it to what IMDb considers a comedy, like we did on the romance films list, Underground would still make it, but Brazil wouldn't, also would the kingdom be eligible, considering it's a Mini-Series and not a movie?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/06/2017 15:06
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:
Well we could restrict it to what IMDb considers a comedy, like we did on the romance films list, Underground would still make it, but Brazil wouldn't, also would the kingdom be eligible, considering it's a Mini-Series and not a movie?

Kingdom has a theatrical release, so it's kinda all good.

I'd be iffy on a comedy list (not opposed), but it could be tricky. Wouldn't mind a few good laughs though, a good list for BEA to let out their goofy side.

That being said, something more on the violent side of things like In Bruges would probably be in my top 5.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/07/2017 02:22
  • Post subject:
hereforashortime wrote:

I'm fine with that, even though Brazil is actually more of a comedy than Underground. Generally though, IMDb is accurate enough I suppose...
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2017 19:02
  • Post subject:
Defining genres is never cut-and-dry. I would approach a comedy list the same way I approached the horror list last October. Remember the discussion about Alien and 'pure horror' films? Well some movies are 'purer comedies' than others. For example, Tommy Boy and Hayden's pick, In Bruges. Both have the comedy genre tag, and both very good. But Tommy Boy is traditional gag laughter; whereas In Bruges wonderfully blends elements of other genres (drama, gangster, thriller). In Bruges isn't funny at all in certain scenes. I'd certainly say In Bruges is a better overall film than Tommy Boy. But on a comedy list, I would have them pretty close.

Anyway..

@ hereforashortime. You sound like you really want a new poll to start. If you want to host this comedy list idea, I say go for it! Sounds like fun.

That being said, I'm calling dibs on hosting a sci-fi list. Tentatively November.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 09/07/2017 21:59
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

@ hereforashortime. You sound like you really want a new poll to start. If you want to host this comedy list idea, I say go for it! Sounds like fun.

That being said, I'm calling dibs on hosting a sci-fi list. Tentatively November.

Sci-Fi is all yours, I definitely won't envy being the person that has to decide whether or not Star Wars is considered Sci-Fi.