Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 20:07
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Greta Van Fleet

Its Wolfmother all over again.

Also, is this the Zeppelin song you're referring to, because that riff is totally ripped off?

Link
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 21:49
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Also, is this the Zeppelin song you're referring to, because that riff is totally ripped off?

Link

Yeah that's probably the closest song for song example.

At least Wolfmother's instrumentation isn't exact. Singer sounds like Plant but the rest of it isn't blatant.
Gageham36

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 21:54
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJx...FVPrAHWY28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhbMbiY...FVPrAHWY28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbT5jS...mp;index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8s4Fd0CvP8

I'm sorry, but where do you get off thinking Greta Van Fleet is ripping off their songs? I won't argue that their sound bares a striking similarity, but for God's sake, we finally get pure rock and roll and you want to dismiss this band based on a iffy at best argument? If Greta Van Fleet is "ripping off" Led Zeppelin, than you might as well dismiss Led Zeppelin while you're at it seems how a vast majority of Led Zeppelin's first four albums were in fact, covers, or renditions of old blues songs.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 22:13
  • Post subject:
Gageham36 wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJx...FVPrAHWY28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhbMbiY...FVPrAHWY28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbT5jS...mp;index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8s4Fd0CvP8

I'm sorry, but where do you get off thinking Greta Van Fleet is ripping off their songs? I won't argue that their sound bares a striking similarity, but for God's sake, we finally get pure rock and roll and you want to dismiss this band based on a iffy at best argument? If Greta Van Fleet is "ripping off" Led Zeppelin, than you might as well dismiss Led Zeppelin while you're at it seems how a vast majority of Led Zeppelin's first four albums were in fact, covers, or renditions of old blues songs.

It's not so much individual Zeppelin songs I'm talking about, it's the whole vibe. The fact that the guitar riff and tone, production, drum sound, lyrics (So Sweet! So Nice! All Mine!!) and vocals to Highway Tune sound lifted, not even borrowed or influenced by Led Zeppelin is a problem to me.

Looking for a pure rock and roll sound is fine, having it sound exactly another band is lame and by definition unoriginal. I'd much rather find a unique sound than pure rock and roll.
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 22:25
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Greta Van Fleet

It's pretty common for a band to sound like their influences, especially on their earliest work. But is that such a bad thing?? When I first heard Greta, I thought I was hearing a Led Zeppelin song I had never heard before. Does that make it a rip off or cop out? Because I don't think so... I saw them live last week and the songs they played (12 in total) honestly didn't sound much like Zeppelin at all.

And although you're probably not comparing Greta to Zeppelin, it's really just a compliment they're in the same discussion Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 22:32
  • Post subject:
elo269megv wrote:
It's pretty common for a band to sound like their influences, especially on their earliest work. But is that such a bad thing?? When I first heard Greta, I thought I was hearing a Led Zeppelin song I had never heard before. Does that make it a rip off or cop out? Because I don't think so... I saw them live last week and the songs they played (12 in total) honestly didn't sound much like Zeppelin at all.

And although you're probably not comparing Greta to Zeppelin, it's really just a compliment they're in the same discussion Very Happy

There has always been a difference to me in being influenced by a band and sounding like a band. There are a lot of songs from my favorite bands I can point out where it sounds like they were influenced by so and so, or it has a such and such vibe. I'm taking issue so hard because I've never heard such a blatant rip in rock music. More so than Airbourne to AC/DC and even more than that Avenged Sevenfold record that sounds like the Black Album.
albumceleste

• Posted: 09/20/2017 01:08
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Total resemblance of the riff with this Physical Graffiti song:

Link
Gageham36

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2017 01:31
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
elo269megv wrote:

There has always been a difference to me in being influenced by a band and sounding like a band. There are a lot of songs from my favorite bands I can point out where it sounds like they were influenced by so and so, or it has a such and such vibe. I'm taking issue so hard because I've never heard such a blatant rip in rock music. More so than Airbourne to AC/DC and even more than that Avenged Sevenfold record that sounds like the Black Album.

So it's more important that we completely disregard Greta Van Fleet for having a riff that sounds like a Led Zeppelin song and a singer who sings in a high pitch? Did their lead singer just wake up one day and say, "I choose to have a voice like Robert Plant?" or is having a Plant-esque voice more of a talent, or even, a gift. Need I remind you, the alleged greatest song of all rock and roll is slightly ripped off itself?
Link
I don't mean to speak angrily, but just because a band sounds like Led Zeppelin or has multiple talented musicians who invoke a sense of classic rock people are so quick to frown upon them. All music is inspired by music passed, give it a good listen and tell me it's Zeppelin and not a modern rendition of a timeless music style.
  • Visit poster's website
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2017 01:39
  • Post subject:
Wasn't Metallica notorious (early on) for covering random songs and claiming them as their own? THAT is a blatant rip off... Hearing a riff or part of a song that speaks to you in some way, and makes you want to make your own composition, is what music is all about and has been happening for many many years...
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2017 01:54
  • Post subject:
Wait, the scariest genres are new artists that sound like genres you like? Think

In any case, I'm personally too scared to listen to a lot of power electronics myself, so that's probably not a bad choice.
  • Visit poster's website