Total Votes : 14

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2017 03:59
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I'm not a huge Tool fan, but I do like them and agree they have something going for them few bands/musicians do.

Having said that when I listened to their discography, I felt 10,000 days was the most consistently pleasing album.

Sober and Schism are fantastic songs and the most catchy (I have a thing for pop songs).

Sober and Schism are indeed very catchy. Nothing wrong with liking that structure because Tool can do it quite well. I have burnout on Sober because I liked it way before I liked Tool's other work. Still a great track though of course.

Is taking on discographies one of your methods of listening to/discovering new music Seth? How does that work for you, do you find it more rewarding than jumping from artist to artist/album to album?

Absolutely - any artist worth their salt, I'll give their whole discography a listen before making any serious judgement. Artists like Dylan or Cash maybe I sampled 10 or 15 of their best instead of all 105 albums.

I'm also slightly OCD, so listening to things in chronological order is fun for me. I discover how the artist grew or when they turned into a corporation.

I don't do it for new finds unless their "best" album is a winner.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2017 04:08
  • Post subject:
Kind of surprised by the 10,000 days.

I don't feel it has major hits on it, yet is easily the most consistent of all their albums (IMO).
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2017 06:29
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Kind of surprised by the 10,000 days.

I don't feel it has major hits on it, yet is easily the most consistent of all their albums (IMO).
I'm very surprised by how close 10,000 Days has gotten to Ænima in votes. However, I'd say The Pot is a pretty major hit for them, perhaps not to the extent of Schism, but it's very popular among hardcore and casual Tool fans.

I saw them this past June in Detroit and they played The Pot for the first time in 6 (?) years. Got a huge reaction. Interesting to hear it a step lower as well. Drop C I believe.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2017 06:32
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I'm not a huge Tool fan, but I do like them and agree they have something going for them few bands/musicians do.

Having said that when I listened to their discography, I felt 10,000 days was the most consistently pleasing album.

Sober and Schism are fantastic songs and the most catchy (I have a thing for pop songs).

Sober and Schism are indeed very catchy. Nothing wrong with liking that structure because Tool can do it quite well. I have burnout on Sober because I liked it way before I liked Tool's other work. Still a great track though of course.

Is taking on discographies one of your methods of listening to/discovering new music Seth? How does that work for you, do you find it more rewarding than jumping from artist to artist/album to album?

Absolutely - any artist worth their salt, I'll give their whole discography a listen before making any serious judgement. Artists like Dylan or Cash maybe I sampled 10 or 15 of their best instead of all 105 albums.

I'm also slightly OCD, so listening to things in chronological order is fun for me. I discover how the artist grew or when they turned into a corporation.

I don't do it for new finds unless their "best" album is a winner.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've only re-listened to whole discographies (in order) of artists I already like, and it can actually be an emotional ride. Hearing them grow and evolve before you, everything you like and don't like about them.

But yeah, I'll give that method a try for a new artist or one I've only heard one or 2 records from.