I would love some album suggestions in the Punk genre!

View previous topic :: View next topic
Viibes

• Posted: 10/17/2017 00:59
  • Post subject: I would love some album suggestions in the Punk genre!
I've been really into Punk for the last month or two, I love how aggressive it is and how it helps keep me awake during the day haha. I'm kind of wearing out what I've been listening to though, and I'm not really sure where to find more quality punk tracks and albums. I've been listening to Turnstile, IDLES, Slaves, and the Clash mostly with some random tracks here and there. I prefer the more aggressive style of punk, but if you find that an albums or track are too good to ignore, go ahead and mention them! I welcome all suggestions, but would prefer if you suggested a track that I should listen to along with an album or band so it's a little easier to dig through.

Thank you so much in advance!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2017 01:36
  • Post subject:
Take a look at this chart of mine for a variety of post-hardcore punk suggestions.

Genre Sampler: Post-Hardcore by Tha1ChiefRocka

Others I can recommend;

Link

Link

Link

Link

I could give a billion more from the 80's or 90's, but here are some from the last several years (because you like Idles who are great).

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 10/18/2017 09:17
  • Post subject:
Good to see someone wanting to hear more punk! There doesn't seem to be enough punk love on this site (well apart from the classics). Although I like all genres of music I've been loving and listening to punk (and all it's associated sub genres) for a long time now - ever since I heard The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle as a 12 year old - a major taste defining moment in my musical appreciation history.
Brutalism, and both Slaves albums are great. Hey was one of my 10 favourite songs from 2015.

Here are some 2017 punk song recommendations.

Aggressive modern classic punk (with guitar shredding): Say What You Mean by Cable Ties from their awesome debut self titled album. My 3rd favourite album of 2017 so far. Not so much shredding in this song (Check out Same For Me, and The Producers for that). Think X-Ray Specs meets Crass meets riot grrrl.

Link

More aggressive punk: Corruption by The Bennies with some reggae/ska influences from this herb loving punk band

Link

Still an aggressive sound but fun: Moving Out by West Thebarton formerly known as West Thebarton Brothel Party

Link

How about some aggresive story telling folk punk?: Don't Fuck With Our Dreams by The Smith Street Band. This song is from a few years ago but I can't recommend this band enough. EVERY album of theirs is worth spending a lot of time with. Throw Me In The River from 2015 is in my all time top 100, and More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me probably will be later and right now is in my top 10 of 2017.

Link

Singer songwriter busker punk: Medicine by Peter Bibby This from this year but his album from 2015 album Butcher/Hairstylist/Beautician is woth checking out.

Link

...to be continued
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2017 15:48
  • Post subject:

Damned, Damned, Damned by The Damned

Rattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers

Pure Mania by The Vibrators

Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts by The Adverts

We Have Come For Your Children by The Dead Boys

Everything Falls Apart by Hüsker Dü

Prison Bound by Social Distortion

The Photos by The Photos

Last edited by bobbyb5 on 10/22/2017 16:21; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/22/2017 16:06
  • Post subject:
Purplepash wrote:
Aggressive modern classic punk (with guitar shredding): Say What You Mean by Cable Ties from their awesome debut self titled album. My 3rd favourite album of 2017 so far. Not so much shredding in this song (Check out Same For Me, and The Producers for that). Think X-Ray Specs meets Crass meets riot grrrl.

Link

Wowzers this is flippin' ace - cheers pal.

One of my favourite punk LPs of recent times comes from your fellow countrymen, Woodboot:

Link

In fact anything on German label Erste Theke Tontraeger is well worth a spin, especially this which sounds like Devo running to catch a bus:

Link

Aside from that and back to the OP - there's a couple of cracking compilations worth checking out as a starting point:

Punk 45: There Is No Such Thing As Soci...us Artists

The underground punk scene which got swept under the carpet when the majors wanted their slice of the pie (summed up succinctly by Crass - "CBS promote The Clash/ain't for revolution, it's just for cash"). Essential if only for the Mekons and Television Personalities tracks. There's a few Punk 45 compys on Soul Jazz - all of varying quality, but all worth at least a cursory listen.

Black Hole - Californian Punk 1977-80 b...us Artists

Compiled by legendary UK journalist and author of punk history England's Dreaming Jon Savage - class West Coast tracks from the likes of The Zeroes, Dils, The Germs, along with The Consumers (unheralded Cali punkers whose one and only LP wasn't released until well after their demise. Check it out - it's superb).

Aside from that, the obvious: Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables by the Dead Kennedys, early Husker Du, Bad Brains S/T, Minor Threat (all of it), Crass' Feeding Of The 5000 and, for when punk went to college, Wire's Pink Flag.

Happy pogoing...
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 10/23/2017 11:01
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Purplepash wrote:

Link

Cool man! You're very welcome!
Haven't heard Woodboot before but I liked that song. I'll look out for them in the future.

Some more recs:
A classic album that should be in every punk collection.

Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers

Link

British minimalist electro punks Sleaford Mods last 2 albums are good.

Key Markets by Sleaford Mods

English Tapas by Sleaford Mods

Link

Canadian punk

The Dream Is Over by PUP

Link
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2017 11:05
  • Post subject:
Purplepash wrote:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Purplepash wrote:

Link

Cool man! You're very welcome!
Haven't heard Woodboot before but I liked that song. I'll look out for them in the future.

Some more recs:
A classic album that should be in every punk collection.

Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers

Link

British minimalist electro punks Sleaford Mods last 2 albums are good.

Key Markets by Sleaford Mods

English Tapas by Sleaford Mods

Link

Canadian punk

The Dream Is Over by PUP

Link

Stiff Little Fingers!!!! Applause Applause Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
liveinacar

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/28/2017 13:54
  • Post subject:

Brand New Age by U.K. Subs
My favourite album by the best punk band, try 'Emotional Blackmail' to get you in the mood >
  • Visit poster's website