Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/24/2017 19:22
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Holland is about as far as I go with the Beach Boys. Carl & The Passions/So Tough is passable, then it's pretty much all downhill for me from there as they got Love'd. Picked up 15 Bigs Ones and Love You an age ago and couldn't wait to shift them on - bloody travesties both.

Always surprises me that the selections Friends tend to get bypassed by many. Then again it's such a beautiful record that it probably hangs together best as a collection of short tracks rather than having any stand-out moments, although Dennis' Little Bird is sublime and Busy Doin' Nothin' is both charming in its mundanity and a fascinating insight into post-sandbox Brian.

On second thoughts, it's got Transendental Meditation on it.

I always thought the same thing. Holland is as far as I go with the Beach Boys. Until I found out that Good Timing was released in 1979, and I couldn't believe it. But as it turns out, they actually started recording it in the early seventies. Which would explain why its better then their other later stuff.

ok for Good Timing being their last good song. But between this and Holland, there is Beach Boys Love You which is interesting. They way they use the moog (?) synth, (like on Holland, but more so): in a playful way.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/24/2017 19:40
  • Post subject:
Brian Wilson always says Love you is one of his three Favourite albums by the Beach Boys, along with Friends and Pet Sounds. I like it too, but you have to be able to get with the minimal synth based production. Also Brian and Denis's voices both sound completely knackered. I really like the songs and overall charm though.

Yeah "Good timin'" is a really nice song. I actually like "That's why God made the Radio" as well (the song rather than the album, which was passable but unexciting).
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/24/2017 20:04
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Brian Wilson always says Love you is one of his three Favourite albums by the Beach Boys, along with Friends and Pet Sounds. I like it too, but you have to be able to get with the minimal synth based production. Also Brian and Denis's voices both sound completely knackered. I really like the songs and overall charm though.

Yeah "Good timin'" is a really nice song. I actually like "That's why God made the Radio" as well (the song rather than the album, which was passable but unexciting).

Damn, I forgot that album of 2012. The last 3 songs are really much more than passable: "From There to Back Again" / "Pacific Coast Highway" / Summer's Gone
Especially this last one, Summer's Gone, in the vein of Caroline, No
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/24/2017 20:13
  • Post subject:
I might need to revisit that album Smile I remember the last part being pretty. I like some of Brian's solo stuff too. Though I don't think he made a great solo album (unless you count Smile).
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2017 21:52
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Holland is about as far as I go with the Beach Boys. Carl & The Passions/So Tough is passable, then it's pretty much all downhill for me from there as they got Love'd. Picked up 15 Bigs Ones and Love You an age ago and couldn't wait to shift them on - bloody travesties both.

Always surprises me that the selections Friends tend to get bypassed by many. Then again it's such a beautiful record that it probably hangs together best as a collection of short tracks rather than having any stand-out moments, although Dennis' Little Bird is sublime and Busy Doin' Nothin' is both charming in its mundanity and a fascinating insight into post-sandbox Brian.

On second thoughts, it's got Transendental Meditation on it.

I always thought the same thing. Holland is as far as I go with the Beach Boys. Until I found out that Good Timing was released in 1979, and I couldn't believe it. But as it turns out, they actually started recording it in the early seventies. Which would explain why its better then their other later stuff.

ok for Good Timing being their last good song. But between this and Holland, there is Beach Boys Love You which is interesting. They way they use the moog (?) synth, (like on Holland, but more so): in a playful way.

Yeah even though 99% of their best stuff was in the 60s, two out of three of my favorite Beach Boys songs are from the seventies. Sail on Sailor and good timing.. ain't that weird? They had many other decent songs in the seventies, but not too many of their very best ones
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2017 00:47
  • Post subject:
This became a very daunting task, and not only would my answer likely be inaccurate due to lack of remembering all their songs/able to quickly make comparison. So I then remembered I can do CSV exports. I listened to and rated much of the Beach Boys discography and while most of it only once, here's what I rated 100 in alphabetical order:

Cabin Essence by The Beach Boys
California Girls by The Beach Boys
Dance, Dance, Dance by The Beach Boys
Do You Like Worms? (Roll Plymouth Rock) by The Beach Boys
Gee by The Beach Boys
God Only Knows by The Beach Boys
Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys
Help Me, Ronda by The Beach Boys
Heroes And Villains by The Beach Boys
I Get Around by The Beach Boys
My Only Sunshine (The Old Master Painter / You Are My Sunshine) by The Beach Boys
Our Prayer by The Beach Boys
Sloop John B by The Beach Boys
Wind Chimes by The Beach Boys
Wouldn't It Be Nice by The Beach Boys
  • Visit poster's website