2017 Films and Award Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2017 06:32
  • Post subject:
Ok Ok, I was wrong. My rant above was speculation based on facts. However, after looking more into it, I found the real reason Rotten Tomatoes is withholding the score for Justice League is because RT is producing a brand new web series called See It/Skip It. It's pretty much what it sounds like. RT will reveal the score for Justice League Thursday morning after the See It/Skip It episode for the movie airs. This will probably be a common thing if See It/Skip It is successful.

So apparently Rotten Tomatoes wasn't being controlled by their parent companies so they make more money. Instead, Rotten Tomatoes is trying to make more money themselves by getting people to watch their own original content. Well I don't find that very funny, but still interesting.

Either way, somebody is profiting from keeping the RT score a secret.

On an unrelated note, but still concerning 2017 films, I saw Killing of a Sacred Deer yesterday. Oh man, ya'll want to go see that movie. Likely to make my Top 10 of the Year.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/09/2017 22:40
  • Post subject:
Aight, so, after looking at the critic circles, every category this entire awards season (apart from, like, 3) is officially up in the air... which is pretty exciting. Oldman might not even win, which'd be crazy. And Best Picture can be anything from Get Out to Lady Bird, so who knows. Don't remember there ever being such a lack of a frontrunner.

Finally got around to watching Dunkirk last night and was pretty floored. I dug how it was a complete departure from his usual style while still being himself. Possibly my favourite by Nolan, an incredible showcase of mature, well-rounded filmmaking as well as phenomenal ensemble acting. Certainly up there with Inception and Memento anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2017 03:13
  • Post subject:
I got around to watching Logan Lucky during a hectic finals week. I'd be interested to see whats going to happen with that movie. It was pretty funny, but also a decent heist movie.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 12/14/2017 00:59
  • Post subject:
The more time goes by, the more I'm leaning towards Lady Bird and Get Out as possible victors at the Oscars for Best Picture. Hear me out.

Going back to 1996, the eventual Best Picture winner has gotten a nomination at the SAGs for Best Ensemble. This year the noms go to The Big Sick (great movie, little chance of winning), Get Out, Mudbound, Three Billboards, and Lady Bird.

Additionally, in the last 37 years, the Best Picture winner also got a nom for Film Editing (the only exception being Birdman), as well as almost always getting a Screenplay nom.

Using this reasoning, it seems like out of the five viable candidates, Lady Bird and Get Out have the best odds. Of course, Three Billboards has always been a contender, but I'm now ranking Lady Bird and Get Out well above previous favorites like The Post, Dunkirk, The Shape of Water, and Phantom Thread.

Naturally, of course, there's always exceptions...
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/14/2017 09:30
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Best Picture can be anything from Get Out to Lady Bird

Quote:
The more time goes by, the more I'm leaning towards Lady Bird and Get Out as possible victors at the Oscars for Best Picture. Hear me out.

Mr. Green

I'm also going to go back to my original prediction of Phantom Thread winning. I seriously think it has a very high chance. Also, I think Greenwood's going to get an Oscar, which'd be cool.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/14/2017 17:47
  • Post subject:
I love you, Daddy
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2018 20:42
  • Post subject:
Welp the nominations were announced today.

This year's Meryl Streep nomination is for The Post. It was the only feature she starred in this year, so it kinda had to be The Post. It would have nice to have Jessica Chastain for Molly's Game, but there's only room for four when Streep stars in a movie.

It shouldn't come as a surprise James Franco didn't get an acting nom for The Disaster Artist, despite winning a Globe. But then that sexual abuse story came out. It's worth noting James Franco also produced and directed The Disaster Artist, which means he would have had nominations for Best Director and Best Picture if the film received nominations in those categories. But of course it didn't because the Academy has to distance itself from alleged sexual abusers in the current climate, especially after all the Casey Affleck criticism. It's too bad because The Disaster Artist is a great film. I would have liked to see it get Best Picture and Actor noms, but both would have meant nominating Franco.

Anyway, speaking of Casey Affleck, it's gonna be a little awkward if he presents Best Actress. Will the Academy break its longstanding tradition? I could see them doing it. Personally I'm more curious about that than whatever ends up winning awards.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/23/2018 22:05
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

It shouldn't come as a surprise James Franco didn't get an acting nom for The Disaster Artist, despite winning a Globe. But then that sexual abuse story came out. It's worth noting James Franco also produced and directed.

Anyway, speaking of Casey Affleck, it's gonna be a little awkward if he presents Best Actress. Will the Academy break its longstanding tradition? I could see them doing it. Personally I'm more curious about that than whatever ends up winning awards.

I was mixed on The Disaster artist... couldn't help that it simply felt like Franco had a good Tommy impression under his sleeve and wanted to share his favourite parts of The Room with everyone. It's not bad by any means, I enjoyed it for the most part, but the rushed ending makes the entire film feel ridiculously empty and pointless (and not in a good 'well, that's life' sorta way). I would've been very surprised if it got a best picture nom... albeit, Franco deserved that final acting slot a little bit more than Denzel. He would've been #6 on the list for sure. (Should note that I have a very bad inclination towards films about other films... just rubs me the wrong way for some reason).

As for Affleck, I don't think they'll break tradition. He'll present.

This is also possibly the first time in (well, haven't checked, but probably a while, if not ever EDIT: Checked, twas 1993 for Cannes/Venice/Berlin, minus TIFF & San Seb) that all of the winners of the big film festivals were nominated (On Body And Soul, The Square, The Disaster Artist, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards). Kinda cool.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2018 00:24
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
StreetSpirit wrote:

It shouldn't come as a surprise James Franco didn't get an acting nom for The Disaster Artist, despite winning a Globe. But then that sexual abuse story came out. It's worth noting James Franco also produced and directed.

I was mixed on The Disaster artist... couldn't help that it simply felt like Franco had a good Tommy impression under his sleeve and wanted to share his favourite parts of The Room with everyone. It's not bad by any means, I enjoyed it for the most part, but the rushed ending makes the entire film feel ridiculously empty and pointless (and not in a good 'well, that's life' sorta way). I would've been very surprised if it got a best picture nom... albeit, Franco deserved that final acting slot a little bit more than Denzel. He would've been #6 on the list for sure. (Should note that I have a very bad inclination towards films about other films... just rubs me the wrong way for some reason).

I agree James Franco wanted to show off his Tommy impression and share The Room with everyone. However, The Disaster Artist is more about the evolving friendship between Tommy and Greg. They enter the entertainment business as best friends, but once they got to Hollywood, their friendship was bitterly tested and ultimately nearly destroyed by The Room. There were some dark satirical undertones in the film about shallowness and superficiality in show business. As somebody who lives and works in that business, I related to it 1000%. Ultimately The Room was successful and that saved Tommy and Greg's friendship, and made up for all the turmoil between them during the film. I don't how you call it 'ridiculously empty and pointless.' I kinda snorted when I read that.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the recent scandal, I would've been surprised if Disaster Artist wasn't nominated for Best Picture. The Academy loves movies about show business. But the Academy loves good PR and TV ratings more, and nominating James Franco could have been damaging to both.

Hayden wrote:
As for Affleck, I don't think they'll break tradition. He'll present.

The industry is pretty toxic at the moment regarding sex offenders, thus I can see them breaking tradition. If Affleck receives an invitation to present in line with tradition, there will be harsh criticism and probably calls for boycott. It'll be interesting to see (more interesting to me than whatever gets awarded).
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2018 15:35
  • Post subject:
If Roger Deakins doesn't win best cinematography for Blade Runner I don't know that he ever will. That movie is a masterpiece and it's probably Deakins' best work (and that's saying something).

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website