View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2017 17:47
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

New York Dolls by New York Dolls

The natural punk rock evolution of The Rolling Stones. I don't like the term "glam rock" when it comes to The New York Dolls, they have the punk rock attitude, which is all that's really needed for me. This album does not need an in depth look at it. The music is immediate and straight to the point.

[/youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6zaPy6kdI

Nice! One of my all time faves. I'm one of the few who also LOVES their sophomore album. That album does not get enough love. Every bit as essential in my book only committing the sin that it came second.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2017 12:24
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

L by Godley & Creme

This group gets a lot of hate for their first album, which really wasn't that bad, but they sure corrected the ship on their follow-up. This is pop music for weirdos.

2 of the members from the supremely talented 10cc decided to go out on their own and make their own music. What you get is a hybrid of Frank Zappa's musical eccentricity, mixed with the talent of Steely Dan, and the satire of 10cc. It's a bizarre combination, but I think it works.

I'm also not convinced that this album did not come out in the mid 2000's. I bet people who liked the first Yeasayer album could also end up being into this record. There's this pop sensibility through the weirdness that makes it unbelievably catchy.

It's hard to pick a stand out track, they're all really good, but here are two of the best.

Link

Actually this song above sounds a bit like a prog version of The Pop Group when I think about it.

Link

I like this too. Nice and weird. Not as good as 10cc's The Original Soundtrack though. I really don't like anything else 10cc did, but I LOVE The Original Soundtrack. .
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2017 20:10
  • Post subject:

Whiskey For The Holy Ghost by Mark Lanegan

I think a lot of albums out personal struggle, or the darker side of the human condition can come of rather insincere sometimes. This is not one of those albums. The music and lyrical content fit together perfectly. Not quite country, not quite rock. Not quite good, but also not inherently evil. Kind of like the man himself. Mark Lanegan had plenty of shortcomings during this time, but he got through them, and is still around today to make great personally affecting music. His album from this year is pretty good, he's getting more and more of that Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, gravelly singer/songwriter voice.

There are no weak tracks on this album, but here are some songs to sample.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/12/2017 22:28
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Whiskey For The Holy Ghost by Mark Lanegan

I think a lot of albums out personal struggle, or the darker side of the human condition can come of rather insincere sometimes. This is not one of those albums. The music and lyrical content fit together perfectly. Not quite country, not quite rock. Not quite good, but also not inherently evil. Kind of like the man himself. Mark Lanegan had plenty of shortcomings during this time, but he got through them, and is still around today to make great personally affecting music. His album from this year is pretty good, he's getting more and more of that Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, gravelly singer/songwriter voice.

There are no weak tracks on this album

Nice! One of my faves. Great write-up!!
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 02:57
  • Post subject:

Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963 by Sam Cooke

In the miles long list of tragic musician deaths, Sam Cooke is near the top of the most bizarre and frustrating. If you've never looked into his death I suggest you do so. Regardless of what truly transpired, his immense contributions to the world of music can never be overstated. One of the first purveyors of soul music, Cooke blazed a trail for all of the great soul acts of the late 50's and the decade of the 60's. I don't think there has ever been a person with a more clear, smooth, and emotional voice than Cooke's. Maybe Mahalia Jackson, but it's pretty close.

The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding

Essentially the same thing as Cooke with less controversy over his death. The Steve Cropper written Sitting On The Dock of the Bay is one of the greatest recordings ever. I could have picked any of his recordings, but I decided to pick this one mainly based on the title track. It was the first of many posthumously released Redding recordings. I wish we could have known what his 70's output would have been like with the rise of Funk music. It would have been great.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 23:51
  • Post subject:

3 + 3 by The Isley Brothers

The Isley Brothers give a clinic on 70's funk/soul on this impeccably produced album. 3 absolutely classic tracks; That Lady, Summer Breeze, Highways of My Life, and a group of solid supporting tracks. All songs that are covers are improved on by The Isley Brothers. Listen to the Music has never been so funky. The Isley's are one of the only bands I can think of that had success in 4 different decades starting in the 50's to the 80's. Their longevity and ability to adapt are to be lauded.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2018 06:05
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

3 + 3 by The Isley Brothers

The Isley Brothers give a clinic on 70's funk/soul on this impeccably produced album. 3 absolutely classic tracks; That Lady, Summer Breeze, Highways of My Life, and a group of solid supporting tracks. All songs that are covers are improved on by The Isley Brothers. Listen to the Music has never been so funky. The Isley's are one of the only bands I can think of that had success in 4 different decades starting in the 50's to the 80's. Their longevity and ability to adapt are to be lauded.

Link

This is in my top albums of the 70s. That Lady I think is their best ever. It's awesome. All of their other best tracks were written by the big rock song writers of the day. They often said that they were Rock fans rather than R&B fans, and their great taste in cover songs proves it.
All their early 70s albums feature great songs by people like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, Stephen Stills, Jimi Hendrix, Todd Rundgren, and their album the previous year had not 1 but 4 songs by Carole King. And then they started making albums with all of their own songs, and those were great too. Especially Harvest for the World.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2018 06:20
  • Post subject:
Hey, check out these ones too. If you already haven't, that is. They're awesome.

Givin' It Back by The Isley Brothers

Brother, Brother, Brother by The Isley Brothers

Harvest For The World by The Isley Brothers

The Heat Is On by The Isley Brothers
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 17:22
  • Post subject:

Handwriting by Rachel's

The chamber music of the apocalypse. I don't know what it is about this group that makes me feel so much, um, feeling. I don't get emotional listening to music very often, but when I listen to this, or another of their albums like, Music For Egon Schiele, I get a little bleary eyed and choked up sometimes. If you like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Kronos Quartet, then you'll like Rachel's, their occasionally jazzy and claustrophobic sounding offspring.

First two tracks are the best IMO.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 17:38
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Handwriting by Rachel's

The chamber music of the apocalypse. I don't know what it is about this group that makes me feel so much, um, feeling. I don't get emotional listening to music very often, but when I listen to this, or another of their albums like, Music For Egon Schiele, I get a little bleary eyed and choked up sometimes. If you like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Kronos Quartet, then you'll like Rachel's, their occasionally jazzy and claustrophobic sounding offspring.

Love

Here goes Geni for emoji catharsis

Embarassed Flogging a dead horse Spam Spam Party Exclamation
  • Visit poster's website