Album of the day (#2538): Diamond Dogs by David Bowie

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/25/2017 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2538): Diamond Dogs by David Bowie
Today's album of the day

Diamond Dogs by David Bowie (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1974.
Overall rank: 447
Average rating: 79/100 (from 605 votes).

Tracks:
1. Future Legend
2. Diamond Dogs
3. Sweet Thing
4. Candidate
5. Sweet Thing (Reprise)
6. Rebel Rebel
7. Rock 'N' Roll With Me
8. We Are The Dead
9. 1984
10. Big Brother
11. Chant Of The Ever Circling Skeletal Family

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2017 21:07
  • Post subject:
This is my second favorite Bowie album. I don't know why it's not more popular on this site. It's actually the ultimate Bowie album. It's more Bowie-ish than anything else he ever did.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/26/2017 04:30
  • Post subject:
This is a great Bowie album it needs more love. Although not in my top 100 it would definitely be in my top 200 and I own an 80s vinyl version. I love that its almost a concept album around the great novel 1984, or at least half of it is. I love its pessimistic dystopian outlook. It doesn't paint a very pretty picture of present or future.

It totally rocks though - Diamond Dogs, Rebel Rebel, and that one about taking drugs and then jumping in the river holding hands (Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet thing (reprise)). Plus it has the bonkers Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family which freaks me out if I play it late at night, alone, with the lights out. And also, lest we forget, it spawned Tina Turner's ballsy cover of the song 1984 on her 80s album Private Dancer.

What's not to love?

Plus tracks from it sound great on David Live. Its definitely one of his best albums, much better and more engaging than the higher placed (on here) Heroes and Station to Station, which are good but not on a par with Diamond Dogs.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2017 05:03
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:
This is a great Bowie album it needs more love. Although not in my top 100 it would definitely be in my top 200 and I own an 80s vinyl version. I love that its almost a concept album around the great novel 1984, or at least half of it is. I love its pessimistic dystopian outlook. It doesn't paint a very pretty picture of present or future.

It totally rocks though - Diamond Dogs, Rebel Rebel, and that one about taking drugs and then jumping in the river holding hands (Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet thing (reprise)). Plus it has the bonkers Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family which freaks me out if I play it late at night, alone, with the lights out. And also, lest we forget, it spawned Tina Turner's ballsy cover of the song 1984 on her 80s album Private Dancer.

What's not to love?

Plus tracks from it sound great on David Live. Its definitely one of his best albums, much better and more engaging than the higher placed (on here) Heroes and Station to Station, which are good but not on a par with Diamond Dogs.

Absolutely. I guess it's just not a hipsters favorite just right now, but it will be soon. When I was younger, it was EVERYONE'S favorite Bowie. But I guess it fell out of fashion. It's got his greatest music on it, the songs are great, it's weird as all hell, and it's fun as all fuck. And Big Brother Chant of the Ever-circling Skeletal Family, and Sweet Thing are his greatest tracks ever. Fuck Blackstar. It's nothing but a cheap imitation of Diamond Dogs. Black Star tries to recreate the atmosphere of Diamond Dogs, but it's just not as good.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 12/13/2017 11:18
  • Post subject:
There's definitely a feeling that his album is unfairly overshadowed by his other 70's albums. It's kind of a transitions album but it's definitely full of great songs and deserves to be mentioned among his very best.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 12:09
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
There's definitely a feeling that his album is unfairly overshadowed by his other 70's albums. It's kind of a transitions album but it's definitely full of great songs and deserves to be mentioned among his very best.

!
Why of course. At one time everybody knew it. None of his albums have this many great tracks on it. And none of them had this much great rock n roll on it. Even Ziggy and Aladdin Sane didnt have music this good..
  • Visit poster's website