Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/10/2017 09:41
  • Post subject:

Acid by Ray Barretto

Ray Barretto - Acid Picked this one off of P4k’s 60’s list. It’s super solid, way better than the only other Barretto album I’ve given a spin (Que Viva La Musica). Looking forward to a revisit, some brilliant instrumentation.

Yurumein by Original Turtle Shell Band

Tribal chant folk tropical coconut circle bird (Yurumein = homeland)

Also, that bass is boomin’. Dope stuff. The entire thing is just super chill and cool, it’d even be great driving music.

Tradição by Gabriela Mendes

Black Ark by Carl Crack

Anytime there’s an album deemed ‘unclassifiable’, I must admit, it tingles my interest. Carl Crack’s only album released before his death is a Death Grips-esque DJ Shadow project, compiled of 21 collage-ish tracks ranging from hip-hop to ambient to glitch to noise, all somehow (but evidently) inspired by dub. Everything is ultimately too repetitive, but it’s interesting and definitely unlike anything else released in that time period. Titch too lo-fi for me, but there’s some interesting tracks here and there. Recommend for those looking for something different with a little edge.

The Natives Are Restless by Ongoma

BONGOS, and some super awesome (didgeridoo?), guitars, some sanza, and almost Talking Heads pop-like vocals at times. It’s a really well arranged album, super accessible and genuinely different from anything I’ve heard from Africa. It’s a newer release, 2007, and it shows (there’s some rapped verses), but it doesn’t lose its roots. Drumming and vocals are def the highlights, but it all works. Going to have to go back to it one day.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2017 09:51
  • Post subject:
UK + IRELAND

Bill Fay by Bill Fay

Bert Jansch by Bert Jansch

Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers

Under reconsideration, because this is very serious stuff

Songs Of Ireland by Mary O'Hara

(straight fire, all of 'em)
Biscuits. Brexit. Etc.

Last edited by Hayden on 12/11/2017 18:42; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/11/2017 14:04
  • Post subject:
Nice British Isles list there Hayden - I really need to listen to that Bill Fay album.

Think you've missed a trick though re. Wales - not only is that probably the weakest GZM LP (at least to these ears), but would have been good to see an LP in Cymraeg, if not Tatay then either SFA's Mwng or (my personal favourite) Sidan's Teulu Yncl Sam, which sounds like the sort of music you'd hear if you stood in Snowdonia on a cold day with the wind messing up your ice hockey hair.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2017 17:49
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Nice British Isles list there Hayden - I really need to listen to that Bill Fay album.

Think you've missed a trick though re. Wales - not only is that probably the weakest GZM LP (at least to these ears), but would have been good to see an LP in Cymraeg, if not Tatay then either SFA's Mwng or (my personal favourite) Sidan's Teulu Yncl Sam, which sounds like the sort of music you'd hear if you stood in Snowdonia on a cold day with the wind messing up your ice hockey hair.

Actually managed to visit the British Isles (well, London) for the first time last month. Three day layover, not nearly enough time, but I really loved the place. No crazy stories or anything, just really dug the vibe. You pay a ridiculous amount for coffee mind you.

And I'm totally up for umm... reconsidering the Welsh entry if you have a link to that Sidan album (can only find 3 tracks on Youtube, and literally nothing else anywhere apart from buying the record on discogs... your chart is actually one of the first results on Google). Either way, I'll give the YT tracks a listen in a bit. Never listened to an album in Cymru but might as well, best a time than any. If you don't have a digital rip of it, I'm down to look at a list of some of your other Welsh recs (you probably have a chart for that... I'll go check...)

And, to be fair, my fav Gorky's album is prrooobably Barafundle, but I'm not really sure. Haven't given Tatay a listen yet.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/11/2017 18:12
  • Post subject:
You should (assuming the Canadian version has the same tracks as the UK one) be able to stream the Sidan LP in its entirety as part of the Sain y 70au box set.

If that doesn't float your boat see if you can track down a compy called Welsh Rare Beat - it's ffantastig...

And you should have told me you were in town. I could have hooked you up with a cheap copy of Peace And Love for the price of 2 cappuccinos.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/13/2017 15:47
  • Post subject:

Ahwar by Nadah El Shazly

I’m unfamiliar of Nadah El Shazly, just decided to dive straight into her latest release. After I finished the album, I’m still unfamiliar with Nadah El Shazly. This isn’t a describable album… jazz? post-rock? IDM? avant-classical? Regardless, musically, it’s a marvel, and one of 2017’s best undiscovered gems. Haunting, beautiful, yet full of groove. Think Jenny Hval if she broke.

Nawambe by Maalesh

Cover Versions by Andrew Pekler

After a fairly thorough search, I’m 99% sure Uzbekistan has contributed nearly nothing to music. Here’s Andrew Pekler, who's from there.

La Finestra Dentro by Juri Camisasca

Fairly accessible lo-fi Italian freak folk from ’74. Think fado meets tarantella and throw in some (I dunno… David Bowie? Tim Buckley?). The guy made this in his early 20’s and didn’t release anything else for over a decade because he temporarily became a monk. Decent find.

Dunya by Bibi Tanga & The Selenites

Some cool experimental funk with a couple dashes of hip-hop, dance and afrobeat. It’s a bit of a mess sonically, but it’s still aight.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/13/2017 16:00
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
You should (assuming the Canadian version has the same tracks as the UK one) be able to stream the Sidan LP in its entirety as part of the Sain y 70au box set.

And you should have told me you were in town. I could have hooked you up with a cheap copy of Peace And Love for the price of 2 cappuccinos.

Found it Very Happy Along with two other albums in that comp. I'll hopefully have time to give it a spin tomorrow. Also, spotted my Barbados pick (which I still haven't heard) on your charts. It's not reeeaaallly from Barbados, but it was that or Rihanna.

And that does sound tempting Embarassed On the road a little too much right now to carry around records unfortunately (which has caused some pain, especially after spotting an original German press of Tago Mago at a market for €50...). I'll def be going back to the UK one day with the intentions of record shopping though, no worries. Might bring my own ground coffee or something too.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/16/2017 10:24
  • Post subject:

Cambodian Liberation Songs by Banteay Ampil Band

Prominent basslines topped with harrowing violins and vocals, a project born in a Cambodian refugee camp. There’s some really interesting compositions here… almost pop-like in structure, yet so far away. Don’t Forget Khmer Blood sounds like something a band like Real Estate would strive for, Follow The Front feels like something straight out of a Wes Anderson film, and Please Avenge My Blood, Darling proves an epic, heartfelt plea seemingly made by a south-Asian Hank Williams. Yet, somehow, my favourite of the bunch has to be a track dab in the middle called I’m Waiting For You, which feels like entering nighttime moped-driven dream. A great handful of uncovered tracks.

I Wah Dub by Blackbeard

Turns out RiRi’s not going to be covering this one after all. Found this short dub album by Blackbeard, and it’s some pretty solid stuff. Just as good as Tubby or Pablo. I see Jimmy’s already familiar, but I’d rec to any fans of the genre.

Asiatisch by Fatima Al Qadiri

It's on hyperdub, and that about says it all.

The Golden Voice Of Liberia by Princess Fatu Gayflor

Dancefloor/Folk/DrumcirclePop from the 80’ by an artist still going strong in her home country. A decent listen, def good in small doses, but as an album it’s a smidge tiresome. Could imagine it being a blast live though, especially with the back-up choir and hand drums.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/10/2018 09:53
  • Post subject:

Cantorials by David Kusevitsky

All 6 tracks are absolute club bangers, DJ this without preview, you’re all good, I gotchu fam. Don’t know what a Cantorial is? Even better, cause your party guests will also be all like ‘what this yo?’ at the exact same time you are, and everything will be fine.

Lume Lume by Elina Duni

Something you want to listen to in a foreign bar eating indistinguishable yet delicious food. Surprising flare of fado mixed in with everything from standard jazz ballads to Meredith Monk-esque scat runs. The opening track, which clocks in around 3 minutes, is purely vocals, and it’s quite stunning. A strong release that I beg you not to judge for its bizarrely out of character cover art.

Soca Savage by Arrow

eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh. Kinda hokey party tracks.

Sweet Soweto by The Minerals

This was a good gem to dig up. An oddly underappreciated album considering the amount of talent that came out of the individual members afterwards. Borderline pop, but still with an edge of mande, I feel like these few tracks truly sum up South African music in the 70's. Give it a listen.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/14/2018 13:30
  • Post subject:

The Voice Of Kyrgyzstan by Salamat Sadikova

Surprisingly lovely. I was expecting a harsh throat-singing sort of mesh for some reason, but it’s more like mountain-folk. Think Joni Mitchell meets a goat.

Gusano Mecanico by Climax

Take A Number by Mavis Rivers

Vocal jazz, pretty standard (but quite good). Mavis Rivers was actually a Grammy nominee for Best New Artist, but didn’t do too much afterwards.

Last edited by Hayden on 01/14/2018 13:55; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website