Definition of a 'Recognised Chart'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/20/2012 12:34
  • Post subject:
We're approaching the time of year when end of years lists start to crop up across the internet, and since the thread was started, we now have the possibility of combining those lists into the 2012 chart here.

The proposed method of submitting these lists is via custom charts. If a custom chart is a copy from a recognised source (defined earlier in this thread), and it is an overall, year, or decade chart, you can apply to get this chart seen as 'recognised' and it will then count towards the overall rankings. To do this, visit the admin page for a chart, and submit a data correction. We could also back-fill previous years via this method.

Charts from recognised sources must not themselves be aggregate lists. Any chart that is promoted, will no longer appear as being from your account, but will be credited as being from the original source.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/17/2018 13:30
  • Post subject:
To make this a bit more fluid, if anybody has created a custom chart based on the rankings of an external source, and the chart meets the criteria defined elsewhere in this thread, then please post the following info in this thread:

1. A link to your custom chart on BEA
2. The title of the chart (as it appears on the source website)
3. A link to the chart on the source website so that BEA can link back to it (also helps us double check the details etc).

A massive thanks to DanielNunes93 for all of the 2017 charts that he has already provided. Applause
  • Visit poster's website
mianfei

Australia

• Posted: 04/05/2019 03:17
  • Post subject: Re: Definition of Charts
Vegas wrote:
Fair enough,

Good criteria for charts, but let's take it a step futher - albums should be dropped if they are compilations, soundtracks, feature covers, or feature primarily songs not written by the Artist performing them.

Also, I'm not sure, but do you have a chart on your site that consolidates the information from the 8 recognised charts and produces a definitive Top 100? Couldn't find one.

Great website, keep up the good work.

Vegas
In Harrington’s list – which was a landmark for me as a listener when I devoured it in the early 2000s – he says:
Joe S. Harrington wrote:
They also have to be albums created as singular works – no various-artist compilations qualified, which I thought was only fair, since they’re actually a programmer’s concept more than anything. It meant Nuggets, This is Boston Not LA and several volumes of Lee “Scratch” Perry’s classic sixties work had to be omitted, which in a way was heartbreaking – after all, an album’s an album, right? Because I also refused to allow greatest hits – so say goodbye to Chuck Berry’s Golden Decade, Marvin Gaye’s Super Hits and even James Brown’s Funky People. These have to be albums intended as albums – because half of what always made the LP record an art form was this kind of singularity.
The interesting thing is that, if we follow Harrington’s logic, we could also exclude:

archival albums – released posthumously or after a band disbanded, like Karen Dalton’s Green Rocky Road
remix albums like Björk’s Telegram (arguably my favourite album of hers)

I find that excluding those on Harrington’s criteria or yours is going rather far, although I do see a reason for not including compilations of recordings that are on other albums.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/21/2019 08:01
  • Post subject: Re: Definition of a 'Recognised Chart'
albummaster wrote:
1. The chart is from a well-regarded or widely-recognised source.
2. The chart is not limited to a particular time period. To qualify as a greatest album chart, end of year polls do not count and nor do polls that limit themselves to the last x number of years. However, if a chart is for a particular year or decade, it may qualify as a year or decade chart instead (so long as the chart covers the whole of the respective time period).
3. The chart is not limited to a particular music genre.
4. The chart is not limited to bands from a particular country or region.
5. The albums are ranked in order of greatness.

Not sure if this has been suggested before but having looked at these criteria, could I suggest that Anthony Fantano's end of year lists from 2010 to 2018 be added as recognised charts? Anthony Fantano may be a polarising critic for a lot of people (I personally enjoy his content whilst politely disagreeing with many of his opinions on albums), but it is undeniable that many people hold his opinion in high regard (his view and subscription count speaks for itself) and given that running theneedledrop his full-time job he certainly qualifies as a professional critic.

Happy to hear why you might feel he is an inappropriate source to be considered a 'recognised chart' and how he might contravene some of the above criteria without me realising, and if he is an appropriate source I don't mind adding the charts to the database. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/21/2019 14:30
sidneyfranklyn wrote:
albummaster wrote:
2. The chart is not limited to a particular time period. To qualify as a greatest album chart, end of year polls do not count and nor do polls that limit themselves to the last x number of years. However, if a chart is for a particular year or decade, it may qualify as a year or decade chart instead (so long as the chart covers the whole of the respective time period).

Not sure if this has been suggested before but having looked at these criteria, could I suggest that Anthony Fantano's end of year lists from 2010 to 2018 be added as recognised charts? Anthony Fantano may be a polarising critic for a lot of people (I personally enjoy his content whilst politely disagreeing with many of his opinions on albums), but it is undeniable that many people hold his opinion in high regard (his view and subscription count speaks for itself) and given that running theneedledrop his full-time job he certainly qualifies as a professional critic.

Happy to hear why you might feel he is an inappropriate source to be considered a 'recognised chart' and how he might contravene some of the above criteria without me realising, and if he is an appropriate source I don't mind adding the charts to the database. Smile

Youtube 'validation' has been an interesting conversation over the past few years. I think people have a hard time taking the platform seriously, but there isn't much argument for people not to.

Albumoftheyear.org counts Fantano, and he's definitely a major influence in today's music age, but I think BEA's sticking to publications. No Christgau, no Scaruffi, etc... Not sure where the line is, but that might seem fair. Just my observation though... I personally wouldn't say no to his lists being included.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/21/2019 19:46
  • Post subject:
IMHO, happy if some individual critics are sources for recognised lists on BEA. In reality, judge and jury for some of the publications is a single person anyway (a music editor or suchlike), so the publication just acts as a vehicle for their list. One of BEA's criteria is that the chart is from a well-regarded or widely-recognised source so as long as chart meets that criteria (and this example seems to), then it should be fine for BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/21/2019 20:08
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
IMHO, happy if some individual critics are sources for recognised lists on BEA. In reality, judge and jury for some of the publications is a single person anyway (a music editor or suchlike), so the publication just acts as a vehicle for their list. One of BEA's criteria is that the chart is from a well-regarded or widely-recognised source so as long as chart meets that criteria (and this example seems to), then it should be fine for BEA.

Ah thanks albummaster good to know! Is there any way I can add these lists to the database myself or do you need to be a data moderator to do so?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/22/2019 07:17
  • Post subject:
You can add them as custom charts and they can then be promoted. They can be flagged for promotion from the mod page for each chart (if I don't spot them sooner).
  • Visit poster's website
mianfei

Australia

• Posted: 08/23/2019 10:32
sidneyfranklyn wrote:
albummaster wrote:

Happy to hear why you might feel he is an inappropriate source to be considered a 'recognised chart' and how he might contravene some of the above criteria without me realising, and if he is an appropriate source I don't mind adding the charts to the database. :)
I have never read him, but given my feelings about Joe S. Harrington and David Keenan, I would have to say that Fantano would be a recognised chart.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Cyrax

• Posted: 09/04/2019 19:55
  • Post subject:
Is it possible for the more recent Top 200 albums of the 1980s by Pitchfork to be added?
  • Visit poster's website