Yann

France

• Posted: 01/17/2018 07:42
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Yann wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Brian Eno, U2, and Pavarotti: Miss Sarajevo

I love this one. Although I find that Bono's voice is slightly too much "ahead in the mix" compared with Pavarotti's, as it is with his other great duet with Sinatra.
And I like the fact they mention East 17 in the lyrics. Whether it comes from a superiority complex or kindness, I don't know. Surely both.

Well it's a song about living in war time and enjoying "normal life" in spite of the bombs going off, in spite of dodging bullets and in spite of someone who used to be your neighbor is now trying to kill your father.

So yeah, totally fits that they are asking, is there a time for boy bands or beauty pageants anymore?

Anyway, it is a fantastic song.

Interesting point about Bono in the mix. Opera often is not recorded directly in the mic (you see when singers belt they often move the mic away), but then you bring up Sinatra. I have heard Bono doesn't do double-tracking vocals at all... maybe that plays a role, dunno?

Yes, I knew it was about living in war time, but it's cool to specifically mention that band name. It makes the daily life rendition stronger (+ it's kind from them to mention a boys band name, not as prestigious as them)

As for Bono's vocals mix, I sense he's showing off a bit in these two songs. His voice is clearly a bit louder and smoother than his colleagues. Like Cohen on the album I'm Your Man comparing to older albums where his voice is not so loud and smooth
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 02:14
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Yann wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Brian Eno, U2, and Pavarotti: Miss Sarajevo

I love this one. Although I find that Bono's voice is slightly too much "ahead in the mix" compared with Pavarotti's, as it is with his other great duet with Sinatra.
And I like the fact they mention East 17 in the lyrics. Whether it comes from a superiority complex or kindness, I don't know. Surely both.

Well it's a song about living in war time and enjoying "normal life" in spite of the bombs going off, in spite of dodging bullets and in spite of someone who used to be your neighbor is now trying to kill your father.

So yeah, totally fits that they are asking, is there a time for boy bands or beauty pageants anymore?

Anyway, it is a fantastic song.

Interesting point about Bono in the mix. Opera often is not recorded directly in the mic (you see when singers belt they often move the mic away), but then you bring up Sinatra. I have heard Bono doesn't do double-tracking vocals at all... maybe that plays a role, dunno?

Yes, I knew it was about living in war time, but it's cool to specifically mention that band name. It makes the daily life rendition stronger (+ it's kind from them to mention a boys band name, not as prestigious as them)

As for Bono's vocals mix, I sense he's showing off a bit in these two songs. His voice is clearly a bit louder and smoother than his colleagues. Like Cohen on the album I'm Your Man comparing to older albums where his voice is not so loud and smooth

oh sorry, I misunderstood then didn't get your bolded statement until now.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2018 08:18
  • Post subject:
Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine - James Brown

The single version is not the same as the version on the double album Sex Machine, and on the album version they overdubbed fake audience noise along with the rest of the first record to make it sound live, I guess, to match the live material on the second LP.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 01/24/2018 10:31
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website