Car seat Headrest really that good?

View previous topic :: View next topic
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 15:59
  • Post subject: Car seat Headrest really that good?
I was looking through the top albums early on in 2018 and noticed Carseat Headrest has a new album very highly rated. Is it really that good? Have other people on here heard of them or really liked their music? What's a good starting point for this band? I have a friend who likes them but his opinion is usually spotty... Was honestly just surprised their album has so many ratings in only a few days and an overall rating of 86... is it warranted? Looking for good discussion.

Post-Hardcore: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52396

Last edited by elo269megv on 02/20/2018 15:11; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 16:21
  • Post subject:
They seemed to get a lot of attention for their 2016 release. I remember hearing about them quite a bit just last year. So I assume people are just really excited for a new album by a band they recently discovered. I suppose you could start with that album, since it's the most popular.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/19/2018 17:54
  • Post subject:
Why not just listen to it?

I heard them for the first time a couple days ago (2018 version of Twin Fantasy), seemed alright. Not much in the way of discernible or memorable melody, but he's doing some interesting enough things with structure. Trouble with a lot of indie rock is it just sounds like a guy shouting over the same distorted guitar for an hour, which - you know - it is, but if that's your thing then you'll probably feel right at home.

Last edited by Puncture Repair on 02/19/2018 18:06; edited 1 time in total
gloriousgoo

• Posted: 02/19/2018 17:58
  • Post subject:
Car Seat Headrest has been around for a while and listening through the albums in chronological order is probably the best move. Will started the band when he was just out of high school, so you get to kind of grow up with him if you listen to the albums in order. They developed a small cult following really early on with Twin Fantasy playing a big part in driving that. Recently they really exploded onto the scene with Teens of Style and Teens of Denial and that elevated them to the mainstream of the indie world. This particular album is a complete reworking of Twin Fantasy making use of the better recording equipment and more fleshed out ideas he has now. While I typically find CSH's work inconsistent and a tad bit overrated this album is particularly impressive and it's quickly become one of my favorite coming of age albums ever. The way he approaches his own teenage angst and rage 7 years down the line is really interesting and it builds a narrative that extends beyond that immediate uncertainty of being a 19 year old and has just enough of a hint of the wisdom that comes with age to justify the redo. Completely worth a listen and, as of now, my album of the year without a doubt.
thirstyDog

• Posted: 02/20/2018 03:55
  • Post subject:
I thought Teens of Denial was fantastic, as did the rest of the internet. Car Seat Headrest is pretty big right now due to that album, which is why there's so much hype about this new one. I think folks are getting a little too excited. I've heard some tracks from Twin Fantasy and wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with ToD. Also Twin Fantasy was written when he was just a teenager, so it can't be that good....
Still I highly recommend Teens of Denial. The rest of his stuff is not so essential
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/20/2018 08:33
  • Post subject:
thirstyDog wrote:
Also Twin Fantasy was written when he was just a teenager, so it can't be that good....

Yeah, teenagers are pretty useless.

And elo269megv, it's actually a fairly popular record from 2011 that's been re-recorded (very well) and that's why so many people are comfortable giving it a quick listen. Give it a spin yourself, it's streaming on Bandcamp.
  • Visit poster's website
Greendonut227

Japan

• Posted: 02/20/2018 11:40
  • Post subject:
The original Twin Fantasy has slowly become a cult classic. I view it as a perfect example of an indie lo-fi album. Though it was just Wil recording everything by himself on his laptop as a teenager, and it has a really rough sound, the melodies and lyrics he wrote were strong. The songs stick with you. Now, with an actual band, it is a pretty bold move for him to rerecord it, but it seems to have worked, and I feel Twin Fantasy is getting the full recognition it deserves. In my opinion the better produced Teens of Denial has nothing on the Twin Fantasies. The original Twin Fantasy has such a strong emotional impact I really can't explain.
And I don't know why people are saying teenagers can't make good people. Sure, most teen music isn't great, but some great music has been made by teens (Illmatic, the Kick Inside).
  • Visit poster's website
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 14:44
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely give it a listen.

So is this new 2018 Twin Fantasy just a revamped, reproduced version of the 2011 album of the same name? Or are they different?

And as for the teenage comment... Arctic Monkeys, Lorde, Rhianna, Greta Van Fleet, Jackson 5, etc etc all made great to acceptable music during teenage years.

Post-Hardcore: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52396
  • Visit poster's website