Records that the artist did perfectly but doesn't amaze.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 20:50
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
ECUpirate wrote:

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys

For me this probably just has to do with how the album aged. At the time of release i'm sure it was easily a 10/10. Now when Pet sounds is having to battle the test of time, it just doesn't seem nearly as captivating or interesting. Granted I still rate it an 8/10, but it isn't something that blows me away despite it being done flawlessly.

I have to agree with Pet Sounds for this thread. It is one of the top to bottom most phenomenal and groundbreaking albums, I just don't ever feel the need to return to it much. It doesn't excite me however it does impress me quite a bit.

As for Lateralus, I felt the same way about everything I heard from Tool the first few times. Wasn't something that I fell in love with like a lot of people around me at the time. It really took me a few listens to connect but once I did I was floored each time out. Luigii, have you heard AEnima?

I haven't heard AEnima yet but will do at some point. I was enjoying the grooves off the first track but not really crazy about the vocals. But this is just the opener. Haven't gone through the record.

I very much encourage a listen through of AEnima when you have the chance. Lateralus is their peak in terms of songwriting and executing a concept in the album format, however I'd say AEnima is the better collection of songs.
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 20:51
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Luigii wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
ECUpirate wrote:

For me this probably just has to do with how the album aged. At the time of release i'm sure it was easily a 10/10. Now when Pet sounds is having to battle the test of time, it just doesn't seem nearly as captivating or interesting. Granted I still rate it an 8/10, but it isn't something that blows me away despite it being done flawlessly.

I have to agree with Pet Sounds for this thread. It is one of the top to bottom most phenomenal and groundbreaking albums, I just don't ever feel the need to return to it much. It doesn't excite me however it does impress me quite a bit.

As for Lateralus, I felt the same way about everything I heard from Tool the first few times. Wasn't something that I fell in love with like a lot of people around me at the time. It really took me a few listens to connect but once I did I was floored each time out. Luigii, have you heard AEnima?

I haven't heard AEnima yet but will do at some point. I was enjoying the grooves off the first track but not really crazy about the vocals. But this is just the opener. Haven't gone through the record.

I very much encourage a listen through of AEnima when you have the chance. Lateralus is their peak in terms of songwriting and executing a concept in the album format, however I'd say AEnima is the better collection of songs.

Oh I definitely will. Maybe tonight. Leaving no promises.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 20:51
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
Luigii wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
ECUpirate wrote:

Oh I definitely will. Maybe tonight. Leaving no promises.

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 23:31
  • Post subject:
Half way in AEnima and have to say this kicks way more ass than Lateralus. My only complaint I have so far is the soft vocals where they sound kinda low. However, the rest is so good. The sticky grooves. The fullness of the song. The emotions. This is the record I needed.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2018 23:46
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
This is the record I needed.

That's exactly how I felt when I discovered it too. Glad to hear that my friend! There are some wonderful moments in the second half as well.
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2018 00:02
  • Post subject:

The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2018 00:10
  • Post subject:
Finished AEnima and that was an excellent record. Love it immensely. Grade:90
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 02/23/2018 01:29
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I'm surprised anyone can think it's boring, I honestly can't think of any other album it sounds like. I get it's a dude-on-guitar album, but the production is unworldly. He plays the guitar and sings like he's about the get shot in the head. There's trombones and bagpipes and fuckin' singing saws being thrown around from left to right. His lyrics alone are so bat-shit it's hard not to wonder what exactly he's trying to convey. Holland 1945 is probably one of the most exciting listens I can think of.

I don't want to blow any more hot air into the thing than it deserves, but I gotta ask whether we're hearing the same thing.

What a fantastic post.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 02/23/2018 13:06
  • Post subject:
I think people who don't at least appreciate 'Oh Comely' are woefully lacking in musical taste (and perhaps a soul Razz ). Shame on those people.
  • Visit poster's website