Movie Music Moments

View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2018 16:42
  • Post subject: Movie Music Moments
Considering that a lot of people around here like movies as much as they do music, I thought it would be interesting to start cataloging my favorite movie music moments. If you have not seen a film that I talk about here, then I suggest viewing it first if possible unless massive spoilers aren't a problem for you. Very Happy

Thief
Year: 1981
Dir. Michael Mann
Soundtrack by Tangerine Dream

Thief by Tangerine Dream

Michael Mann, once one of the most stylish directors in Hollywood, started his brilliant run in the 80's with a taut, suspenseful crime/drama about a professional safe cracker played by the never-cooler James Caan. While the soundtrack to this movie is not Tangerine Dream's best work, it most certainly was the most appropriate fit for this movie. The pulsating synth score never pushes too much, and always creates the right amount of tension in the scene. The soundtrack was no well-received by many upon the films release. It came out before Vangelis' synth dominated Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner scores changed film music from the funky-jazzy 70's to the electronic 80's.

Link

The final scene of the movie where Caan confronts the mob boss is absolutely great. Silence nearly the whole time, but when the boss is killed, triumphant music begins to play. It's different music than what we've heard the whole time, the buzzing-spacy synths. Instead, a huge bombastic "Comfortably Numb" inspired guitar solo from Craig Safan (Tangerine Dream needed some help apparently) which lasts the duration of the scene, and the credits for the movie. It's really pretty spectacular. The music tells us that something has changed. The struggle of the hero is finally over, this is his last stand before he either dies, or is able to live with his family happily ever after.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2018 06:03
  • Post subject:
I haven't seen Thief, so I'm not going to read about it, but this seems like a great idea and I can't wait to read one of your entries. Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2018 04:57
  • Post subject:
Point Blank
Year: 1967
Dir. John Boorman
Artist: Stu Gardner

Live bands in movies have a tendency to be really terrible. Maybe it's just because I watch so many bad B-Horror movies, but their are very rarely scenes where the band is memorable. Probably the most well-known scene in Point Blank, Boorman uses the Psychedelic go-go dancing nightclub as a strange backdrop for Lee Marvin to show off his old-school style of kicking ass (or punching dicks). The band is The Stu Gardner Trio, the titular Stu Gardner (whose other claim to fame is that he composed the theme song for The Cosby Show!) being the energetic screaming singer in the scene. I like how some of his yelling almost syncs up with some of the hits and punches that are going on backstage. Point Blank is one of my all-time favorites.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 08:06
  • Post subject: Re: Movie Music Moments
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Considering that a lot of people around here like movies as much as they do music, I thought it would be interesting to start cataloging my favorite movie music moments. If you have not seen a film that I talk about here, then I suggest viewing it first if possible unless massive spoilers aren't a problem for you. Very Happy

Thief
Year: 1981
Dir. Michael Mann
Soundtrack by Tangerine Dream

Thief by Tangerine Dream

Michael Mann, once one of the most stylish directors in Hollywood, started his brilliant run in the 80's with a taut, suspenseful crime/drama about a professional safe cracker played by the never-cooler James Caan. While the soundtrack to this movie is not Tangerine Dream's best work, it most certainly was the most appropriate fit for this movie. The pulsating synth score never pushes too much, and always creates the right amount of tension in the scene. The soundtrack was no well-received by many upon the films release. It came out before Vangelis' synth dominated Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner scores changed film music from the funky-jazzy 70's to the electronic 80's.

Link

The final scene of the movie where Caan confronts the mob boss is absolutely great. Silence nearly the whole time, but when the boss is killed, triumphant music begins to play. It's different music than what we've heard the whole time, the buzzing-spacy synths. Instead, a huge bombastic "Comfortably Numb" inspired guitar solo from Craig Safan (Tangerine Dream needed some help apparently) which lasts the duration of the scene, and the credits for the movie. It's really pretty spectacular. The music tells us that something has changed. The struggle of the hero is finally over, this is his last stand before he either dies, or is able to live with his family happily ever after.

Link

I also think that Thief was their best soundtrack album. I'm a tangerine dream fan but I have to admit I never listen to their soundtrack albums. Not to mention all their albums that SOUND like soundtracks. Heh heh. But this one is great. The only other movie soundtrack with this type of pulsating electronic music that came out earlier was Midnight Express way back in 1978. By Giorgio Moroder. And then the several soundtracks that he did immediately after. Like American Gigolo, Cat People, and Scarface. They're such good soundtrack albums that I listen to them as if they're regular albums and I always put them in my album charts and all kinds of shit. I'm a big fan of them. I also like Tangerine Dreams soundtrack for Near Dark. But it's not even close to Thief.

I also love the movie too. You're right, James Caan was never cooler. Or better. Record
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 02/26/2018 23:47
  • Post subject:
Also Sprach Zarathustra in Space Odyssey by Richard Strauss
  • Visit poster's website