Best Artist with Multiple Number 1s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which Artist do you think is better?
Kendrick Lamar
1%
 1%  [1]
Radiohead
32%
 32%  [18]
Arcade Fire
0%
 0%  [0]
Nirvana
0%
 0%  [0]
R.E.M.
1%
 1%  [1]
Pink Floyd
18%
 18%  [10]
The Beatles
21%
 21%  [12]
Miles Davis
23%
 23%  [13]
Total Votes : 55

YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/13/2018 21:14
  • Post subject:
I think Arcade Fire's problem is that most clearheaded people who would think of voting for Arcade Fire would end up voting for Radiohead.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/13/2018 21:23
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

If Beefy Botham is the greatest quidditch player ever, then yes! Laughing (I know it isn't quidditch)

Laughing Beefy would be the best at quidditch I'm sure of that!

Quote:

I think I'd add to your list longevity; accessibility; influence (in most cases) and their albums are popular with new generations

Ability to transform themselves from artisans to artists (a discussion in of itself if you are interested)
Immense ability to connect with humanity at large emotionally.

Mentally intriguing- they build their music on philosophical thought or current humanistic needs in a touching way.

Musical - which means having a pleasant sound; melodious; tuneful - which in turn is likely what makes them accessible... but really what I'm saying here is they are amazing musicians, and not just in a technical way, they know how to make theory and complex music into simple, yet explosive musical amazement.

Those are the things I think separates these artists from other "good" musicians and turns them from artisans to artists - or if you will, from good musicians to "the greats".

Yeah. Good descriptions Smile I basically agree with all of that (though I'm sure people would differ in how important they place tunefulness in relation to other qualities). I couldn't hum a tune from Bitches Brew. But I guess its kinda tuneful in its own way!!

I would interpret mentally intriguing as including groups where you like their style, attitude, humour, sense of fun etc. I think this is generally more important than 'big ideas'. At least in pop/ rock anyway.

This could be where art vs artisan comes in. I may ultimately not see too much distinction between these kind of artists and entertainers (though I would go with Jazz and Classical as art). I'm sure others disagree. Just my own preference so will go with agreeing to disagree probably Laughing

Thanks for the food for thought Cool
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/14/2018 04:48
  • Post subject:
Temporary33 wrote:
Radiohead has got to be the worst band to be considered this good. More than half their catalog sounds like a person didn't make it and most of it is boring as hell.

It's true they totally made all their music with Fisher Price toys, and actually toured nursing homes to get approval for their music. And we all know the Thom Thoms be ditching practice.
  • Visit poster's website