View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 20:29
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Tilly wrote:
@Fischmann & BobbyB: Well it's a good thing I'm doing this project then! Wink Razz Very Happy

I'm one of those people who loves every year, and 1992 is no exception. My 1992 chart is already shaping up nicely, and I'm just getting started. I'm pretty surely I'll be madly in love with my 1992 chartsin three months time when I predict this project to be completed. Very Happy

@Fischman: loving that Drem Theater album. Even better than that Fates warning from 1991 I think. Both are good though and both will be in their respective charts. Thanks, brother!

Yeah, Parallels is another one I think is truly special from start to finish. So glad you have enjoyed!

I feel that both are albums are very similar to the traditional heavy metal albums I grew up on in the 70s & 80s. It's nice to hear that sound done so well in the 90s. The clearly love their Queensryche and their Iron Maiden.

Metal changed so drastically with the advent of extreme metal in the late 80s & early 90s so those two albums are nice little pointers to the past while still offering a slightly different take on the form.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 20:31
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Fischman wrote:
Tilly wrote:
@Fischmann & BobbyB: Well it's a good thing I'm doing this project then! Wink Razz Very Happy

I'm one of those people who loves every year, and 1992 is no exception. My 1992 chart is already shaping up nicely, and I'm just getting started. I'm pretty surely I'll be madly in love with my 1992 chartsin three months time when I predict this project to be completed. Very Happy

@Fischman: loving that Drem Theater album. Even better than that Fates warning from 1991 I think. Both are good though and both will be in their respective charts. Thanks, brother!

Yeah, Parallels is another one I think is truly special from start to finish. So glad you have enjoyed!

I feel that both are albums are very similar to the traditional heavy metal albums I grew up on in the 70s & 80s. It's nice to hear that sound done so well in the 90s. The clearly love their Queensryche and their Iron Maiden.

Metal changed so drastically with the advent of extreme metal in the late 80s & early 90s so those two albums are nice little pointers to the past while still offering a slightly different take on the form.

I always loved progressive rock and metal, so when groups started fusing them into progressive metal, it was a match made in heaven for me. Those two are, to my ears, the apex of the genre.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 03/20/2018 20:36
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Yann wrote:

6/ The High Llamas : Santa Barbara (their first lp, before they went full Smile-era Beach Boys with a touch of bossa-nova)
]

Hmmm... Even die hard High Llamas fans seem lukewarm on this one. I'm listening rn & it seems okay. embryonic. What's make this so special for u?

hmm, Think , for these reasons:
I don't listen to a lot of music, so for a single year best of, I don't have so many choices.
When it came out I liked this album very much: good tunes on it, and a warm, west coast sound. I agree it's embryonic but only retrospectively, knowing the change of direction (which I like better). I'd say it's a bit "humdrum" (?) in places (but still one of my favorite of 1992:))
And Period Music is an underrated song in my book. A nice feel-good summer song.
The High Llamas are one of my favorite band.
Why not highlighting some, not-outstanding, but just good album: this one is ranked 40 308 and I doubt all of the 40 307 albums above have some tunes as good as this (tunes are not everything, I know:))
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 21:04
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Yann wrote:

6/ The High Llamas : Santa Barbara (their first lp, before they went full Smile-era Beach Boys with a touch of bossa-nova)
]

Hmmm... Even die hard High Llamas fans seem lukewarm on this one. I'm listening rn & it seems okay. embryonic. What's make this so special for u?

hmm, Think , for these reasons:
I don't listen to a lot of music, so for a single year best of, I don't have so many choices.
When it came out I liked this album very much: good tunes on it, and a warm, west coast sound. I agree it's embryonic but only retrospectively, knowing the change of direction (which I like better). I'd say it's a bit "humdrum" (?) in places (but still one of my favorite of 1992:))
And Period Music is an underrated song in my book. A nice feel-good summer song.
The High Llamas are one of my favorite band.
Why not highlighting some, not-outstanding, but just good album: this one is ranked 40 308 and I doubt all of the 40 307 albums above have some tunes as good as this (tunes are not everything, I know:))

Thanks for such an honest & open response. I totally get it now! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 21:10
  • Post subject:
1992: Stoner Rock Ignites!

Sleep's Holy Mountain

Sleep's Holy Mountain by Sleep

vs.

Kyuss' Blues For The Red Sun

Blues For The Red Sun by Kyuss

Both of these are essential Stoner Rock. Both looking back on the early 70s Sabbath years and taking Sabbath's sound in an even heavier and edgier direction.

Which do u like better & why?

For anyone looking to get into 90s metal, this is a great place to start!
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/20/2018 22:04
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Rocking The Forest / Sebadoh Vs. Helmet by Sebadoh
I know many people would consider this a compilation but to me it isn't completely as it a full album combined with an EP. It's my number one album overall (not only for 1992) so I'll certainly come back to it.
!

Yeah. This album ruled my year as well back then. Definitely top twenty territory. In America it was called...

Smash Your Head On The Punk Rock by Sebadoh

Tilly before I take on your Stoner rock contest I would like to come back on this very important issue Twisted Evil
I have been doubting a long time if I would follow you and put the Smash Your Head album in my top chart instead of the compilation of the two EP's Rocking The Forest (8 tracks) and Sebadoh vs Helmet (9 tracks).
But Smash Your Head is also a compilation so if I have to choose I choose my choice.

Here is a bit of a comparison.

From Rocking The Forest (all of them on my compilation)
1. Gimme Indie Rock (one of my favorite tracks ever): not on Smash Your Head (SYH) and one heck of an introduction to American indie rock
2. Ride The Darker Wave (very good): Not on SYH
3. It's So Hard To Fall In Love (One of my favorite tracks ever): not on SYH and typically slacker Lou Barlow
4. Cry Sis (just very good): appears on SYH (but is titled Crisis there according to Allmusic) and is Sebadoh at its fiercest
5. Really Insane II (just very good)
6. Vampire (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH and is all about typical jangly Sebadoh progressions
7. Junk Bonds (very good): appears on SYH and again fast and furious
8. Mind Meld (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH: seven minutes of guitar fuzz heaven

From Sebadoh vs Helmet (all of them appear on my compilation)
1. Notsur Dnuora Selcric (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH and Sebadoh at its most stubborn and eclectic self
2. Brand New Love (this is my most favorite track ever): and fortunately appears on SYH. Why is this my most favorite track ever: because it builds up in one emotional rollercoaster just to end into absolutely chaotic ending. I've seen them many times live and never have they played this live. I would die to see them perform this in front of my eyes.
3. Mean Distance (One of my favorite tracks ever): begins very slackerish and slow and ends in typical Sebadoh chaos
4. ... Burned (or Everybody's Been Burned one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH is in fact a Byrds cover but here in a much more emotional version
5. New Worship (is called New Worship II on my compilation and once again one of my favorite tracks ever): also on SYH a galoping Sebadoh
6. Good Things, Proud Man (and another one of the greatest songs ever): appears on SYH under the name Good Things: short and a good thing
7. P. Moon (or in fact an unrecognisable version of Pink Moon by Nick Drake: just a good song): also appears on SYH
8. Cecilia Chime in Melee (the only clunker on this album): also appears on SYH
9. Soulmate (or Soulmate II on my compilation and just a good song): doesn't appear on SYH

To summarise: Smash Your Head lacks 5 songs of the original 2 EP's from which it's compiled and that's a real pity because the missing tracks are great. So I stick to my version which for me is my favorite album of all times (compilation or not) and of course also of 1992. Sebadoh has made many fantastic albums after this one but this remains the one I advise every music lover to listen to.
Tilly I'm glad that you have Smash Your Head high up in your 1992 chart but have you already listened to the missing 5 tracks (especially Gimmie Indie Rock which references about any indie rock band of that time)?
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2018 22:24
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Rocking The Forest / Sebadoh Vs. Helmet by Sebadoh
I know many people would consider this a compilation but to me it isn't completely as it a full album combined with an EP. It's my number one album overall (not only for 1992) so I'll certainly come back to it.
!

Yeah. This album ruled my year as well back then. Definitely top twenty territory. In America it was called...

Smash Your Head On The Punk Rock by Sebadoh

Tilly before I take on your Stoner rock contest I would like to come back on this very important issue Twisted Evil
I have been doubting a long time if I would follow you and put the Smash Your Head album in my top chart instead of the compilation of the two EP's Rocking The Forest (8 tracks) and Sebadoh vs Helmet (9 tracks).
But Smash Your Head is also a compilation so if I have to choose I choose my choice.

Here is a bit of a comparison.

From Rocking The Forest (all of them on my compilation)
1. Gimme Indie Rock (one of my favorite tracks ever): not on Smash Your Head (SYH) and one heck of an introduction to American indie rock
2. Ride The Darker Wave (very good): Not on SYH
3. It's So Hard To Fall In Love (One of my favorite tracks ever): not on SYH and typically slacker Lou Barlow
4. Cry Sis (just very good): appears on SYH (but is titled Crisis there according to Allmusic) and is Sebadoh at its fiercest
5. Really Insane II (just very good)
6. Vampire (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH and is all about typical jangly Sebadoh progressions
7. Junk Bonds (very good): appears on SYH and again fast and furious
8. Mind Meld (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH: seven minutes of guitar fuzz heaven

From Sebadoh vs Helmet (all of them appear on my compilation)
1. Notsur Dnuora Selcric (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH and Sebadoh at its most stubborn and eclectic self
2. Brand New Love (this is my most favorite track ever): and fortunately appears on SYH. Why is this my most favorite track ever: because it builds up in one emotional rollercoaster just to end into absolutely chaotic ending. I've seen them many times live and never have they played this live. I would die to see them perform this in front of my eyes.
3. Mean Distance (One of my favorite tracks ever): begins very slackerish and slow and ends in typical Sebadoh chaos
4. ... Burned (or Everybody's Been Burned one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH is in fact a Byrds cover but here in a much more emotional version
5. New Worship (is called New Worship II on my compilation and once again one of my favorite tracks ever): also on SYH a galoping Sebadoh
6. Good Things, Proud Man (and another one of the greatest songs ever): appears on SYH under the name Good Things: short and a good thing
7. P. Moon (or in fact an unrecognisable version of Pink Moon by Nick Drake: just a good song): also appears on SYH
8. Cecilia Chime in Melee (the only clunker on this album): also appears on SYH
9. Soulmate (or Soulmate II on my compilation and just a good song): doesn't appear on SYH

To summarise: Smash Your Head lacks 5 songs of the original 2 EP's from which it's compiled and that's a real pity because the missing tracks are great. So I stick to my version which for me is my favorite album of all times (compilation or not) and of course also of 1992. Sebadoh has made many fantastic albums after this one but this remains the one I advise every music lover to listen to.
Tilly I'm glad that you have Smash Your Head high up in your 1992 chart but have you already listened to the missing 5 tracks (especially Gimmie Indie Rock which references about any indie rock band of that time)?

You know, now that u mention it, I remember being totally bummed that "Gimmie Indie Rock" was NOT on the Smash Your Head on The Punk Rock compilation that I had bought. I have heard it, and it's a really fun song for those of us in the scene. Especially at the time.

"It's So Hard To Fall In Love" is a classic so of course I've heard that one as well and definitely owned it on sth. The other three I'm not so sure I've heard. But there was no way I was paying import prices back then for 3 songs. lol.

Maybe if you can send something to my pm. Wink I didn't know I was missing out on three songs.

Totally makes sense that you'd like your comp - Sebadoh vs. Helmet better. I mean it has more tracks and loses nothing.

And yes, Brand New Love is one of the best Indie rock songs EVER!!! I put it in many, many mix tapes back in the day.

Link

psssst... notice the cover! Wink Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 03/21/2018 02:08
  • Post subject:
Sorry I'm a bit late but I think there is a couple of albums here that haven't appeared yet.
1. REM - Automatic For The People
2. Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
3. Sonic Youth - Dirty
4. Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray
5. Ministry - Psalm 69... (or ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ as I knew it by back then - pronounced Psalm 69 lol)
6. PJ Harvey- Dry
7. Nirvana - Incesticide
8. RATM - RATM
9. Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
10. NOFX - White Trash, Two Heebs And A Bean
11. Ride- Going Blank Again
12. Nick Cave - Henry's Dream
13. Sugar - Copper Blue
14. Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies
15. Faith No More - Angel Dust
16. Arrested Development - 3 Years, 2 Days....
17. Prince - Love Symbol
18. The Prodigy - Experience
19. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Honey's Dead
20. House Of Pain - House Of Pain
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/21/2018 02:39
  • Post subject:
Likely the only album I could contribute that either hasn't already been said or likely is too mainstream is:

Hush by Yo-Yo Ma and Bobby McFerrin
  • Visit poster's website
Rockdrigo

Bolivia

• Posted: 03/21/2018 07:20
  • Post subject:
This is definitively not my favorite year, but there are still albums that I consider at least great and even overall favorites. I’ll include genres for all them and a short description and recommendations on where to start for the less well-known.
1. REM – Automatic For The People [Alternative rock]
2. Café Tacuba – Café Tacuba [Latin alternative]
It’s a little rough for how great the songs would become down the decade but some aspects like the singing and the keyboard embellishments are already very mature for a debut. Where to start: María; Las Batallas; La Chica Banda.
3. Kiko Veneno – Échate Un Cantecito [Flamenco pop; Singer/songwriter]
While known since the ‘70s for his idiosyncratic flamenco songwriting, this comeback album was more accessible but just as melodically rich. Where to start: Echo De Menos; Fuego; En Un Mercedes Blanco.
4. Soda Stereo – Dynamo [Shoegaze, Neo-psychedelia]
Their most well-known album outside Latin America and a serious change in direction to a more experimental, “independent” sound; a bold move for the then more popular band of the continent. Where to start: Luna Roja; Toma La Ruta; Claroscuro.
5. Fito Páez – El Amor Después Del Amor [Pop rock; Singer/songwriter]
After a decade of being a critical darling and many Argentinian musicians’ favorite collaborator, he decided to re-ignite his career, go big on songwriting and production, and become a big selling artist on the way. Where to start: El Amor Después Del Amor; Tumbas De La Gloria; Brillante Sobre El Mic.
6. The Cure – Wish [Alternative rock]
7. Dr. Dre – The Chronic [West Coast hip hop]
8. Caifanes – El Silencio [Latin alternative]
Their most celebrated album found them changing some of their post punk origins for a harder alternative rock sound and even some native Mexican music; guitars are a highlight. Where to start: No Dejes Que; Piedra; Nubes.

Also, if you want to go further, I can recommend other albums that I don't love as much but are well received elsewhere:
1. Boris Grebenshikov – Russian Album [Singer/songwriter]
2. Supersordo – Supersórdido [Post hardcore; Noise rock]
3. Gustavo Cerati & Daniel Melero – Colores Santos [Neo-psychedelia; Electronic]
4. Surfin’ Bichos – Hermanos Carnales [Indie rock]
  • Visit poster's website