Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 03/31/2018 16:13
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Basically anything by Roc Marci, Ka, billy woods, Gibbs, YG, Mike Eagle, Maxo Kream, DJ Quik, Kendrick, plus some other bits by Kevin Gates, Thugga, Future, Earl Sweatshirt, Jonwayne, Chance, Noname, Junglepussy. Gonna go bat for one particularly underrated LP, though:

Incarcerated by Lil Boosie

Junglepussy is definitely upcoming talent. I’m sure gonna take a listen to that album of lil Boosie; curious how the guy for whom “F Cancer” was written sounds.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/31/2018 17:17
  • Post subject:
Everything by Young Thug.
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/31/2018 18:22
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Graeme2 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
I've had difficulty getting into a lot of rap music of the 2010s. Kanye was easy cause he's not really from the 2010s. Same with Killer Mike, etc.

It took me about 2 to 3 years to see the brilliance of Kendrick Lamar's music (It felt novel, but not brilliant) beyond his lyrics (which are amazing).

But when I listen to acid rap or other rappers... idk... it feels like what prog rock did (got a bit complex) and while I can appreciate that from afar, it

Maybe peeps got some recs for me for someone who liked popular rap of the late 80s, 90s, and 2000s, but is having a hard time getting into rap artists of the 2010s? I typically like exciting, lyrically clever (and not a long stretch clever or hipster ironic clever) and powerful rap music. I got turned off by Kendrick at first because he kept saying his dick was big... I don't give shit. Then I realized at least one of those times he was talking about racism, so that kinda opened it up for me.

I mean the simple solution is listen to like 30 rap albums to find the 4 I like, but idk... maybe another day.

There are still plenty rap records by newer artists that are looking back to the classic sound and still being creative and fresh. Couple I'd suggest:

In Celebration Of Us by Skyzoo
Packs by Your Old Droog

Thanks mate!

I mean I'm not against new fresh ideas, I'm just not loving them or maybe just haven't given them much of a chance. I mean I listened to Kendrick maybe 20 times before it clicked for me.

And to be clear I like rap, I'm just more of a "popular" rap fan I suppose?

A weak effort, but a start.
Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B by sethmadsen

Spinning Packs by Your Old Droog right now, and digging it. Thanks again!

As someone ignorant of rap developments and how we got to stuff like Acid Rap, etc.... maybe someone can explain the gap/growth/understanding? I mean I could just go read about it on Wikipedia, but discussion and stuff.

Also Your Old Droog's Grandma's Hips is killer... haahaha. I mean funny, but also really good.

Glad you like them mate. Also I totally understand where you're coming from. As someone who has followed hip hop and rap off and on since the mid 80s and now being in my 40s, I've struggled to get with some of the post Kanye new school. I myself am only just starting to 'get' the genius of kendrick after many plays of pimp a butterfly. I've been open minded in approaching much newer stuff recently that I'd previously written off and finding that I actually love it, espcially Danny brown and kendrick. When ive been listening to those two I've been thinking exactly that it's just progressive hip hop or rap. It really does feel like a new genre to me some of this newer stuff. I still love the throwback stuff like czarface and droog but I can't get enough of kendrick, brown, RTJ and even stormzy and skepta (never loved grime until now). I was just listening previously with too many preconceptions. Still don't like Kanye though.
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 04/01/2018 16:43
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Everything by Young Thug.

Goat
  • Visit poster's website