New Wave Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/13/2018 19:34
  • Post subject:
Just had a look at the wiki entry on new wave. Definately seems more a US thing. Most of the bands that have been mentioned would normally be described over here as electro pop, new romantic, post punk etc. I suppose the term was used but it would probably be for something that would be hard to fit with another tag, maybe Blondie? I've just bought a punk/new wave cheapo multi cd thing at the supermarket. Might just stick it on. Contains The Motors "Airport". Going to put it on just for that.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2018 19:50
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
Just had a look at the wiki entry on new wave. Definately seems more a US thing. Most of the bands that have been mentioned would normally be described over here as electro pop, new romantic, post punk etc. I suppose the term was used but it would probably be for something that would be hard to fit with another tag, maybe Blondie? I've just bought a punk/new wave cheapo multi cd thing at the supermarket. Might just stick it on. Contains The Motors "Airport". Going to put it on just for that.

Yeah. New Romantic, post-punk, synth-pop and even ska all fell under the same catch-all name of New Wave in the US. Like in the same way the term techno in the US is used for any kind of electronic music, whereas outside the US it's a specific style of electronic music. Or the way britpop was just considered alternative over here.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 04/13/2018 21:28
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:

oh yes, Blondie is definitely a New Wave sound. And Airport, great track, very Beatles
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 04/13/2018 21:31
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Yann wrote:
We love New Wave in France !

As early New Wave, I'd say Magazine (Shot by Both Sides single for example, January 1978)

Typical New Wave :
Enola Gay OMD (1980)
Dancing with Tears in my Eyes_Ultravox (1984)

In France: Tombé pour la France Etienne Daho (1985)

One of the very first New Wave hits was in French. Remember this one? Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastic Bertrand

Yes! I was very young, but good memories
  • Visit poster's website