Why Not Make A Diary?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
mtachi

• Posted: 04/11/2018 16:50
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Yeah! It's true art... Listen again. Even I have trouble getting into her later stuff, which is amazing but dense...

Yeah, my first album of hers that I listened to was actually Biophilia, which put me off listening for a little while, but my curiosity has finally gotten the better of me. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
mtachi

• Posted: 04/17/2018 12:53
  • Post subject:

Parallel Lines by Blondie

My dad loved Blondie when I was growing up, and this was the album that I have the fondest memories of him listening to. I however, was only ever really interested in a few of the songs, so I thought why not go back and listen properly to the album?

Hanging On The Telephone - A pretty decent rock pop song. Maybe nothing too special, but decent.
One Way Or Another - There's a reason this song has remained so popular for so many years. It's brilliant - cheeky, playful and powerful, it captivates you while you listen to it.
Picture This - This was always the song I loved when I was growing up, and I still love it today. It's a great piece of pop/rock, and my best memories of Debbie Harrie.
Fade Away And Radiate - No memory of this one. I wouldn't blame my dad if he skipped it either. Thoroughly forgettable.
Pretty Baby - A bit of a throwback track? Even for the 70s this song sounds pretty retro - it's quite cool.
I Know But I Don't Know - Really boring. Don't rate this song at all.
11:59 - This one's a little bit poppier. It's quite catchy, and I like the guitar.
Will Anything Happen - This one is decent, if not a little throwaway.
Sunday Girl - This has always been a pretty song, nice to listen to even though it doesn't leave much of a lasting impression.
Heart of Glass - The best song on the album, hands down. I could listen to this song over and over and still find it interesting. I love the beat, the vocals, the charisma.
I'm Gonna Love You Too - Meh, kinda forgettable. Think
Just Go Away - A pretty good end to the album, I've been humming along to it in my head since hearing it.

Overall I think this was maybe a somewhat meh album with a few really high points that have stuck around with me. It was a nice experience to go back and listen to it properly after all these years though.
  • Visit poster's website
mtachi

• Posted: 04/18/2018 08:58
  • Post subject: Wednesday 18th April

Flesh And Blood by Roxy Music

It was quite a nice experience going back and listening to Parallel Lines properly for the first time, so I'm going to revisit another album from my childhood that I've never really listened to properly.

In The Midnight Hour - Quite nice. Feels like an odd opening to an album, but decent.
Oh Yeah! - This is a brilliant song. I have really fond memories of it, but it's also just a really good song. I always remember how much I love it when I hear it.
Same Old Scene - This is another good song. It has that groove to it that envelopes you and allows you to sink into it.
Flesh and Blood - I'm starting to remember how good an album this is. So many of these songs are really, really good. Razz
My Only Love - Another good song, maybe a little bit too long, but still good.
Over You - This one is a bit of a different vibe compared to the others, a little poppier. It's okay, but not my favourite.
Eight Miles High - Yeah this one is not good. Really boring, I'm not feeling it at all. Brick wall
Rain, Rain, Rain - Similarly to the previous, this one isn't really doing a lot for me.
No Strange Delight - This one has a nice vibe to it, more reminiscent of the earlier tracks on the album. Feels quite menacing.
Running Wild - One of my favourite tracks on the album, and a beautiful closer.

Overall, this is a really good album. It sags a little bit in the middle, but the highs make up for the lows. Running Wild, Oh Yeah and Same Old Scene are my favourites.
  • Visit poster's website