Ryhthm Roulette (and other imposed creative limitations)

View previous topic :: View next topic
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 04/19/2018 03:54
  • Post subject: Ryhthm Roulette (and other imposed creative limitations)
I've been bingeing these Rhythm Roulette clips on youtube:

Link

Link

Producer is blindfolded, picks three records at random then has to make a beat out of them. (In other episodes the producers have had to pick from Nintendo game cartridges and cassette tapes.) These kinds of exercises are really fun to me. They remind me of Oulipo writing exercises, or the challenges in Lars Von Trier's 'The Five Obstructions'.

Anybody got other cool examples of artists having to work with imposed limitations?
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 04/19/2018 03:59
  • Post subject:
What does their music sound like without the limitations?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2018 04:08
  • Post subject:
I had mentioned this series a long time ago on a post about music related videos. I wish they would do more.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2018 04:28
  • Post subject:
there was a lot of fun activity around 15-18 years ago that I got to take part in. there was a group of artists on soulseek we'd have a room Soulseek Artists and come up with stuff. one time it was just like EVERYONE making a track with the sample from the simpsons where homer says "that's tennis?!" and "foxy boxing", another time was the one minute massacre, itd be like someone would do a minute or two of music and then pass it off to the next person, and then eventually you have a whole album, that ones actually on spotify. one time we did a whole one in 24 hours (the 24 hour massacre). and we'd also do something similar to this vid, soulseek sample series, one person would make a sample pack and then everyone made a track put of it. and then there's stuff like on watmm where someone talked about how you can get genesis glitch music by loading the save state of one game into a different game and it tries to rebuild the music but has no idea what its doing and throws out all sorts of wild stuff. was really cool hearing a bunch of folks all try stuff with that technique.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 04/19/2018 04:36
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
What does their music sound like without the limitations?

Usually an example of their work runs over the start of the video. If you're after examples, DJ Dahi did the beat for Kendrick Lamar's "Money Trees", and 9th Wonder did Jay Z's "Threat". Interesting question though, since producers tend to work within a set of parameters to match the emcee they're collaborating with.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 04/19/2018 04:51
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
there was a lot of fun activity around 15-18 years ago that I got to take part in. there was a group of artists on soulseek we'd have a room Soulseek Artists and come up with stuff. one time it was just like EVERYONE making a track with the sample from the simpsons where homer says "that's tennis?!" and "foxy boxing", another time was the one minute massacre, itd be like someone would do a minute or two of music and then pass it off to the next person, and then eventually you have a whole album, that ones actually on spotify. one time we did a whole one in 24 hours (the 24 hour massacre). and we'd also do something similar to this vid, soulseek sample series, one person would make a sample pack and then everyone made a track put of it. and then there's stuff like on watmm where someone talked about how you can get genesis glitch music by loading the save state of one game into a different game and it tries to rebuild the music but has no idea what its doing and throws out all sorts of wild stuff. was really cool hearing a bunch of folks all try stuff with that technique.

Throw some links at me! Those sound really fun. I remember years back a friend and I were involved in an annual film festival where you were given an object and a quote in the morning, and had to deliver a completed work by that evening based on the prompt. Check out our adolescent attempt at comedy here:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2018 05:25
  • Post subject:
at a show now but will check that later

the sega stuff from the forum was compiled here it has a lot of what I did https://recordlabelrecords.org/download...s-bending/

and then here's the soulseek sample project where I made the sample pack https://archive.org/details/sss002_acp you can find others connected thru that

pretty sure all the foxy boxing tracks are lost to time, but that stuff was more about existing in the moment
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2018 05:26
  • Post subject:
I actually just saw this yesterday. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Link
  • Visit poster's website