Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/16/2018 16:41
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
'92:6 The Battle of the Dinosaur Jr JUNIORS

Two bands were oft labeled Dinosaur Jr Jr back in 1992. Afghan Whigs & Buffalo Tom. Both put out their finest work yet in 1992 effectively shirking off any pejorative junior label and coming into their own. Both of these albums are highlights of indie rock back in 1992 (or any year really) and should be considered 90s indie classics. Both r Highly Recommended to fans of Indie Rock and even Classic Rock. I know which one I like better, but before the big (okay, little lol) reveal I'd like to get others thoughts. (KD, Dihansse, Mercury, Mecca, Gowi, Roman, Bueller? )

Congregation by The Afghan Whigs

vs.

Let Me Come Over by Buffalo Tom

I've never heard them call Dinosaur Jr Jr's and they're definitely not as guitar shredding bands as the real Dinosaurs but you can't get them more classic indie nineties than these two:
- Buffalo Tom is just great and this was the album I got to know them from but in hindsight this is a close call with Big Red Letter Day from 1993 and maybe the latter wins but Let Me Come Over remains a real classic as well.
- The Afghan Wigs and Greg Dulli in particular are also heroes of mine and the album I got to know them from was Gentlemen also of 1993 and this one still remains one of my favorite albums of the nineties. The second ranked album for me from this band was Black Love and I must admit Congregation is my least favorite album of the 6 I know from them (maybe I should give it a new spin because it's already some time I listened to it fully).

So conclusion: if this was a contest on their 1993 albums it would be a close call and Gentlemen would win with a nose length over Big Letter Day. For 1992 for me it's very obvious: Let Me Come Over is a clear winner compared to Congregation.

And I repeat after you: if you want to get a good view of nineties indie music, don't forget these two essential bands!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2018 20:46
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:
'92:6 The Battle of the Dinosaur Jr JUNIORS

Two bands were oft labeled Dinosaur Jr Jr back in 1992. Afghan Whigs & Buffalo Tom. Both put out their finest work yet in 1992 effectively shirking off any pejorative junior label and coming into their own. Both of these albums are highlights of indie rock back in 1992 (or any year really) and should be considered 90s indie classics. Both r Highly Recommended to fans of Indie Rock and even Classic Rock. I know which one I like better, but before the big (okay, little lol) reveal I'd like to get others thoughts. (KD, Dihansse, Mercury, Mecca, Gowi, Roman, Bueller? )

Congregation by The Afghan Whigs

vs.

Let Me Come Over by Buffalo Tom

I've never heard them call Dinosaur Jr Jr's and they're definitely not as guitar shredding bands as the real Dinosaurs but you can't get them more classic indie nineties than these two:
- Buffalo Tom is just great and this was the album I got to know them from but in hindsight this is a close call with Big Red Letter Day from 1993 and maybe the latter wins but Let Me Come Over remains a real classic as well.
- The Afghan Wigs and Greg Dulli in particular are also heroes of mine and the album I got to know them from was Gentlemen also of 1993 and this one still remains one of my favorite albums of the nineties. The second ranked album for me from this band was Black Love and I must admit Congregation is my least favorite album of the 6 I know from them (maybe I should give it a new spin because it's already some time I listened to it fully).

So conclusion: if this was a contest on their 1993 albums it would be a close call and Gentlemen would win with a nose length over Big Letter Day. For 1992 for me it's very obvious: Let Me Come Over is a clear winner compared to Congregation.

And I repeat after you: if you want to get a good view of nineties indie music, don't forget these two essential bands!

oh yeah. definitely. I think it's stellar, and I like it even more than Let Me Come Over! Dulli's singing is so emotive and the album is just explosive. Their heaviest album by far.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/18/2018 12:44
  • Post subject:
The Afghan Whigs only recently ‘clicked’ for me. There’s been talk of them on the forum for years, but I never thought of anything them beyond “forgettable” until 2017 when I started digging back into the 90s (even before this thread and similar ones).
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/18/2018 16:13
  • Post subject:
I've always liked both albums, but I think Buffalo Tom will get this one. Gentleman is still the Whigs' statement to me. Let Me Come Over has an infectious energy and hookiness to it that could only have happened in this particular time and place.

Track Picks

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 16:54
  • Post subject:
'92:7: We Hit Peak Shoegaze

1991 and 1992 were the years shoegaze hit critical velocity. While the best shoegaze album of 1991 was pretty obvious - it's Loveless, duh, I have no clue which is the best in 1992. So far, an album I'd never even heard - The Pale Saints' In Ribbons - is leading the pack which is kinda crazy since I think Going Blank Again is arguably Ride's best (and I love Ride.).

So far these are the albums vying for the title...

In Ribbons by Pale Saints

vs.

Going Blank Again by Ride

vs.

Spooky by Lush

vs.

Everything's Alright Forever by The Boo Radleys

Anyone have any suggestions for other albums that should be included?

I'm on the fence regarding including this one ...

Blue Day by Slowdive

... since its a comp of their early EPs, but it could easily win this thing if it was. Totally essential shoegaze that has aged extremely well as I've mentioned.

Again, please let me know if I've missed anything. Thx!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 04/20/2018 17:16
  • Post subject:
Where the hell is:

Blow by Swallow
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 17:57
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Where the hell is:

Blow by Swallow

Nice catch, Gowi! I actually own that (on cd) & just miraculouly found it in one of my stacks rn and will throw it on in my car this afternoon. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 04/20/2018 18:15
  • Post subject:
But yeah, I obviously think Blow and In Ribbons are the best of the bunch, though all are really fantastic.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/20/2018 20:42
  • Post subject:
I hadn't listened to Swallow and Pale Saints yet and my order of the quoted albums is:

Going Blank Again by Ride remains my absolute favorite and one of the best albums of the year 1992 and the Lush album is a good second.
I must say I really liked the Swallow album as well although I never heard of them before so thx Gowi for the introduction.
Then come the Boo Radleys and Slowdive.
And although the first and the last track of In Ribbons are ok the album as a whole wasn't too convincing.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/22/2018 19:12
  • Post subject:
'92:8 Could LittleM Be On to Something? : The Case for Boo Radley's debut as Essential Shoegaze

Everything's Alright Forever by The Boo Radleys

A perfect blend of worldly spanish-tinged indie rock and shoegaze, The Boo Radley's LP stands out as an album that could stand on its own even without the amazing shoe gaze flourishes. It's backed up by some amazing indie rock songs that really take advantage of the loud- soft/ harsh - delicate dynamics of both indie rock & shoegaze.

Last edited by Repo on 04/22/2018 21:49; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website