Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 04:10
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Yeah, it seems like those goals could conflict.

Two non-brilliant suggestions from rando member:

1. Drop rock to the bottom of the "macro-genre" lists till we've gone through all the others people are actually interested in discussing (a handful them will likely never make the cut) and then we discuss it. Sometimes problems solve themselves if you put them off long enough.

2. Skip rock knowing that it will most likely have more (maybe exponentially more) subgenres that win the voting rounds than any other macro-genre, therefore still getting way more discussion than any other -- just in parts.

Sorry if I contributed to your feeling worn out. My subgenre posts were side discussions and not meant to be anything more.

Woah, sorry, I missed this, I got mad and wasn't thinking clearly.

And no worries - I wasn't frustrated with your posts at all, actually it helped illuminate 1) we have a rock discussion, it's called this site and the overall list, 2) this issue exists in EVERY genre... they all have hundreds of sub-genres.

I really like your idea of 1. 0% of people said they were interested in learning more about rock, rather punk and metal. Maybe we just do threads on those two and maybe we wait until the end or maybe I'll abandon the whole thing altogether and if anyone else wants to carry on with it, please do. You'll probably do a better job than I did anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 04:19
  • Post subject:
I'll be frank with you seth, I'm not entirely sure why you're flipping out like you are. The thread got moved to a different forum, the threads still exist, they are still here, they will still be viewed and interacted with, they're just in another place. I've never seen anyone flip out as much as you are over a thread being moved to a different forum.

I've said, multiple times, that we as mods (or at least I as a mod, I don't know what the other mods were thinking at the time) did not move previous threads and that was a mistake. That was wrong. You are right, they weren't moved and they should have been, and I will try to do a better job of being more vigilant about that going forward, as I'm sure other mods will as well.

That being said, I am saying you weren't treated unfairly because this was a simple move brought on by the realization that the thread should be moved. It had literally nothing to do with you or what was being written in the thread at the time. I did not delete the thread, I did not edit anything within the threads, it was simply moved. That's it.

Also, do me a favor don't assume you know what I'm going to do and not do in the future.

Explain to me exactly what you want changed? Should we allow games in the music forum? Movies discussion int the games forum? Politics discussion in the music forum? Why even bother having more than one forum at all? What's the point in having these rules if we're not even going to follow them.

This is not a big deal. The threads are still there, you are still free to post in them as much as you want. You have no idea whether they'll be viewed more or less than they were in the past, unless you have some sort of analytics on average sessions per each forum. The threads were simply moved to another location, that's it. That's all.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 04:38
  • Post subject:
The only thing I ask to change is to enforce the rules fairly across the board. When rules can't be enforced in real life, society often changes them or stops following them.

I'd really would have liked to continue the genre project in the music forum where the decade project was done and I suppose to do that I'll have to make two posts - a discussion post and a game post in the respective forums. This way the rules can be followed...which to me seems ludicrous, but I'll do it. As a matter of fact, if that makes mod world happy, I'll create a new game thread and edit the existing jazz thread to be discussion only.

I've yet to hear the definition of a game so I can follow the rules.

I am not asking to discuss religion in the music forum. I'm asking to discuss music in the music forum and ask people to list their top 10 albums of the genre and talk about the genre. I actually really could care less about the results and much more about creating an environment of learning and discussion and openness.

And to answer your question about me "flipping out" - you basically didn't validate anything I said and said I was being ridiculous and everything you are doing is fair. I think what you mean is that a law was made about games and you are just following the law and that is fair, which I agree with. I don't agree with the fact that months have gone by with all kinds of games going on in the music forum and nothing was done then. Maybe it was bad timing, but it felt like I was being singled out.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2018 05:10
  • Post subject:
You don’t have to create a separate discussion thread and a game thread. The game thread can serve as the discussion thread, this is what any number of games have done in the past.

As for a definition of a game, that would include anything that involves some sort of competition, including voting.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/20/2018 15:52
  • Post subject:
Quote:
For the record, I really don't like how Gowi and JimmyDread have treated me.

I’m sorry, but why am I being dragged through the mud? I didn’t personally attack you, remark about the thread with condescension, or anything that has to do with treating you. I simply offered my point of view and left. If you’re unhappy that I don’t like the concept and posted my opinion civilly before moving on with my day, that really isn’t my or the administration’s problem.

Shit like this is why I don’t engage in the site as actively as I used to in the past.
  • Visit poster's website
Bobert

• Posted: 04/20/2018 17:16
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
The only thing I ask to change is to enforce the rules fairly across the board. When rules can't be enforced in real life, society often changes them or stops following them.

I'd really would have liked to continue the genre project in the music forum where the decade project was done and I suppose to do that I'll have to make two posts - a discussion post and a game post in the respective forums. This way the rules can be followed...which to me seems ludicrous, but I'll do it. As a matter of fact, if that makes mod world happy, I'll create a new game thread and edit the existing jazz thread to be discussion only.

I've yet to hear the definition of a game so I can follow the rules.

I am not asking to discuss religion in the music forum. I'm asking to discuss music in the music forum and ask people to list their top 10 albums of the genre and talk about the genre. I actually really could care less about the results and much more about creating an environment of learning and discussion and openness.

And to answer your question about me "flipping out" - you basically didn't validate anything I said and said I was being ridiculous and everything you are doing is fair. I think what you mean is that a law was made about games and you are just following the law and that is fair, which I agree with. I don't agree with the fact that months have gone by with all kinds of games going on in the music forum and nothing was done then. Maybe it was bad timing, but it felt like I was being singled out.

L
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/20/2018 22:17
  • Post subject:
Sethmadsen wrote:

Clarify what exactly I’ve said that’s any worse than you labelling me an ‘asshole’ and pigeonholing my music taste to be so narrow to suggest that all I’d want to do is natter about Caribbean music by ‘voting for it 6 times’. I know very well few people on BEA have a lot of time for ‘reggae’ despite my championing of it for what seems like an eternity (in charts, in my diary and the like) and I really couldn’t give two stuffs. For those that are interested, I’ve got a pretty comprehensive chart and a flippin’ long appraisal of Dub for people to flick through, and those who’ve been kind enough and bothered enough to comment have generally been very favourable towards both. Those with the predisposition shouldn’t have much trouble finding them.

What I do resent though is the fact that you’re insinuating I’ve ‘mistreated’ you by my taking offence at something you said (which I did) and retorting. How else am I to interpret a remark from someone who, in his review of Marley’s Legend professes that (and I quote) “most other reggae I've listened to is pretty monotonous”. If you wanted to expand your knowledge, you could have easily looked elsewhere before now rather than anticipating what this ‘asshole’ was going to put forward as a suggestion..

Bottom line - if anyone has an axe to grind it’s me. It’s a shame because your behaviour has alienated me from contributing to this whole project (and Gowi too it would seem) when I had plenty to share. Well, your loss. Sure this wasn’t your intention but I’d be careful how you point the finger in future.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 03:21
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
You don’t have to create a separate discussion thread and a game thread. The game thread can serve as the discussion thread, this is what any number of games have done in the past.

As for a definition of a game, that would include anything that involves some sort of competition, including voting.

Thank you for clarifying.

And you're right I don't have to, but I might want to and was just confirming if that's ok for future threads.

After some time has passed I realize I did blow this out of proportion and apologize. I think it was just the last straw somehow. You didn't deserve being called out for just doing what's "right".

I was hoping for some kind of "seeing things from both sides", and understanding why it was frustrating, but it's totally first world problems/not really a problem.

Thanks for your contribution to the site.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 03:25
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Quote:

I’m sorry, but why am I being dragged through the mud? I didn’t personally attack you, remark about the thread with condescension, or anything that has to do with treating you. I simply offered my point of view and left. If you’re unhappy that I don’t like the concept and posted my opinion civilly before moving on with my day, that really isn’t my or the administration’s problem.

Shit like this is why I don’t engage in the site as actively as I used to in the past.

Quote:
If you don't understand that basic principle I don't know what to tell you.

This combined with past interactions with you (I feel like you pounce on the negative) was demotivating to me/felt like you were calling me stupid/weren't trying to understand my point of view either.

Thing is, when you do contribute stuff that's positive/informational, it's quite amazing/informative. It's been this jekyll and hyde relationship.

I overreacted and I apologize. I hope we can make amends.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2018 03:41
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Clarify what exactly I’ve said that’s any worse than you labelling me an ‘asshole’ and pigeonholing my music taste to be so narrow to suggest that all I’d want to do is natter about Caribbean music by ‘voting for it 6 times’. I know very well few people on BEA have a lot of time for ‘reggae’ despite my championing of it for what seems like an eternity (in charts, in my diary and the like) and I really couldn’t give two stuffs. For those that are interested, I’ve got a pretty comprehensive chart and a flippin’ long appraisal of Dub for people to flick through, and those who’ve been kind enough and bothered enough to comment have generally been very favourable towards both. Those with the predisposition shouldn’t have much trouble finding them.

What I do resent though is the fact that you’re insinuating I’ve ‘mistreated’ you by my taking offence at something you said (which I did) and retorting. How else am I to interpret a remark from someone who, in his review of Marley’s Legend professes that (and I quote) “most other reggae I've listened to is pretty monotonous”. If you wanted to expand your knowledge, you could have easily looked elsewhere before now rather than anticipating what this ‘asshole’ was going to put forward as a suggestion..

Bottom line - if anyone has an axe to grind it’s me. It’s a shame because your behaviour has alienated me from contributing to this whole project (and Gowi too it would seem) when I had plenty to share. Well, your loss. Sure this wasn’t your intention but I’d be careful how you point the finger in future.

1) I didn't call you an asshole, I was referring to the fact that the internet is filled with them. I hope you understand that was clearly a miscommunication.

2) I think you misunderstood my hyperbole as an attack, and really it was in jest. I was just saying I actually really look forward to your contribution on the subject and in return I got a really nasty comment. It's clear this has also been a miscommunication. I even at first took it as such by laughing and moved on. Rolling with the punches.

3) You are right - I haven't put forth a lot of effort into the reggae world and was merely stating the things I've tried getting into feel a little samey in the rhythm/melody aspect. I'm sure it has more to do with me not listening to the good stuff, and I've made no real effort to find it.

4) You already started off alienated by taking offense to something said in jest and then stating very clearly already that you will not participate. You also made fun of me in your diary over a year ago and decided to look the other way and finally decided to call you out on it. I didn't say anything to the effect that that's all you could listen to or talk about, and lauded your other contributions to the site (which you apparently ignored due to what appears to me to be contemptuous behavior). You have no problem making fun of me otherwise though.

What I kindly said back to you and was ignored:
Quote:
I was just noticing the Caribbean not getting the love and was hoping you'd make up for it.

But if you want 6 votes for classical, I'll put that on the tally?

Of course you are not a one-trick pony. Plenty of other stuff I've seen you give great contributions to. Hyperbole is not allowed.

How you made fun of me in the past: (post 51 of your diary)
Quote:
alelsupreme isn't BEAutiful at all. Yet. Though he has infinitely more chance of being BEAutiful than Seff Mad Son and the whole population of Belgium

I suppose I'm just wondering why you have such an axe to grind against me and how we can make amends?
  • Visit poster's website