Album of the day (#2699): EVOL by Sonic Youth

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/05/2018 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2699): EVOL by Sonic Youth
Today's album of the day

EVOL by Sonic Youth (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1986.
Overall rank: 683
Average rating: 79/100 (from 346 votes).

Tracks:
1. Tom Violence
2. Shadow Of A Doubt
3. Star Power
4. In The Kingdom #19
5. Green Light
6. Death To Our Friends
7. Secret Girl
8. Marilyn Moore
9. Expressway To Yr Skull

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
PaperVinnie

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2018 20:19
  • Post subject:
It's funny; I was working on my new SY chart when this became album of the day. Anyway, EVOL was one of the most important albums in Sonic Youth's discography. It led them to Sister and Daydream Nation, which are almost unanimously referred to as some of the greatest and most influential albums of the genre. Also Expressway To Yr Skull is one of the greatest guitar tracks of all time.Definitely underrated.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2018 21:18
  • Post subject:
One of their best, for sure. "Shadow of a Doubt" is one of my ten favorite songs of all time.

Track picks
1. Tom Violence
2. Shadow Of A Doubt
5. Green Light
8. Marilyn Moore
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 05/06/2018 00:55
  • Post subject:
SY used to be one of my favorite bands of all time (if not my favorite), but I always used to put the best album pedestal to either daydream nation or goo, without a shadow of a doubt, EVOL is the most complete and cohesive of all their albums, it feels like they are on the right way of maturing still keeping their modern and deconstructed structures with lovely pop chords. Shadow of a doubt is beautiful and gloomy, feels like even my blood is not innocent, but my jam will always be expressway to yr skull
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2018 21:48
  • Post subject:
I really liked this album! Gave it a listen today and was impressed. I've been trying to get into SY and this album might be the one that breaks down the barrier (for 80s SY at least). For the most part their albums have been hit or miss for me. I haven't given it enough time yet to be fair. I really liked Goo and Dirty from the 90s. And Daydream Nation is also a classic obviously. I keep seeing reviews on this site for Sister but I didn't love that upon initial listen either. I really think its a mindset and mood I need to be in. Plus, I need to give their discography a revisit.

Suggestions:

If I really liked Dirty and Goo, where would I go next? I've heard bits of Daydream Nation and Sister and I will listen to those again this week along with EVOL. The albums that are intriguing to me having heard none of it are Washing Machine and Bad Moon Rising... are those worth a listen? They're pretty low on this site. Thanks

Post-Hardcore: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=52396
  • Visit poster's website
PaperVinnie

United States

• Posted: 05/06/2018 22:42
  • Post subject:
elo269megv wrote:
If I really liked Dirty and Goo, where would I go next? I've heard bits of Daydream Nation and Sister and I will listen to those again this week along with EVOL. The albums that are intriguing to me having heard none of it are Washing Machine and Bad Moon Rising... are those worth a listen? They're pretty low on this site. Thanks

Before listening to Washing Machine I would suggest trying to get into Daydream Nation first, it's less jammy and more accessible. I'd recommend Bad Moon Rising for later, it's really hard to get into because of how dronish and dark it is. Two other albums you might wanna try are Sonic Nurse and Murray Street, they don't sound like the earlier stuff but they're rewarding listens. I would ignore how low Washing Machine, Sonic Nurse, and Murray Street are; I've never understood why they are, I just don't think enough people have listened to them.

Also Sister took a while to click for me too, but it's really the album where Sonic Youth found their musical identity, and is pretty rewarding to get into.
  • Visit poster's website