Twin Fantasy: Original vs Re-Recording

View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Twin Fantasy: Original or Re-Recording?
Twin Fantasy (Mirror to Mirror) [2011]
45%
 45%  [5]
Twin Fantasy (Face to Face) [2018]
54%
 54%  [6]
Total Votes : 11

Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 05/16/2018 17:41
  • Post subject: Twin Fantasy: Original vs Re-Recording
After picking up Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest on RSD I haven't been able to stop listening! It's such a great album, and honestly a bit of an intro into the world of LoFi for me..

I know that this site seems to place the re-recorded version of this album pretty high (Twin Fantasy (Face To Face) by Car Seat Headrest) considering it is currently sitting at #1 for 2018. I have yet to listen to it, and I'm honestly sceptical as to how I could like it any more than the original..

For those who have actually listened to both versions, preferably many times, which is your preference?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/17/2018 11:40
  • Post subject:
I heard the 2018 version because of it being so highly rated, but I didn't think much of it. Kept meaning to give it another shot, but couldn't find the enthusiasm.

Maybe there's a quality to the original that'll make it 'click'.

Yeah, screw it, I'm gunna listen to both and report back (because I know you're all hotly anticipating my opinion on this).
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/18/2018 13:18
  • Post subject:
So I was originally going to try and be all smart and just respond 'they're both as boring as each other' but that's probably not fair to a record that's clearly a huge personal accomplishment and has connected with so many people.

Firstly, the album is a lot longer than I remember. I think if you're ever going to re-do a piece of art, editing is a huge part of that. The extra 11 minutes don't add an awful lot of focus in a record I think could already be about half an hour shorter.

70 minutes of almost entirely frantic electric guitar chords and no discernible melody is a slog. It's a good thing Will sings his heart out or I really wouldn't see any appeal to this.

And I still don't. Whether it's been recorded through and a laptop microphone or not, the actual substance here feels so thin. I still couldn't tell you an awful lot about what I listened to, even though I've essentially heard the album three times now. And I really don't believe it's because it's gone way over my head. I really tried, but moment to moment there's almost nothing fresh or exciting. If you were to skip through it, you'd hear distorted guitar chords and a dude saying angsty things over the top at almost every stage.

I guess people really like guitars, bass and drums, huh? Doesn't matter I guess. This album has a lot of heart, and it's not out to do anything smarmy or dishonest. I like both releases, they're both fine. Totally run-of-the-mill indie rock, but fine. It's not my vibe.

My conclusion is that I don't think it needed rerecording, but that they did a very faithful job returning to it. It feels just as immediate.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2018 16:54
  • Post subject:
Coming from the opposite end, I really can't decide which one I like more. I love the 2011 one because of how it's rough around the edges and the homemade feel makes it seem like a more intimate experience. But the polished 2018 version sounds really good, too, and I'm genuinely surprised how many people at my college would bump some songs on an aux at a day drink or something.

I think part of the reason I enjoy both versions so much is because of this reflection theme Will has discussed before. The 2011 version was recorded when the wounds of his breakup were still fresh, but the 2018 version is when the wounds are healed and it feels like more of a learning experience. I just think that duality is so cool, and just comparing them makes me learn more about him.

I read the lyrics and analyses for the song My Boy and apparently Will is talking to his lover during the song, but I like to imagine as if he is talking to his future/past self depending on what version you're listening to. When I keep that perspective in mind, it makes it all the more mind-blowing.
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 05/20/2018 16:48
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:
Coming from the opposite end, I really can't decide which one I like more.

Well I guess I'm going to have to give the new one a try..

Still confused as to how a hi-fi version of a lo-fi album makes any sense :p
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2018 12:39
  • Post subject:
At the risk of digging this back up, I'm still confused about this. I definitely like the re-done album less; when I listen to bands like this, it isn't for the production polish.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 06/07/2018 16:34
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
At the risk of digging this back up, I'm still confused about this. I definitely like the re-done album less; when I listen to bands like this, it isn't for the production polish.

I've yet to get around to listening to the new one. I just like the original too much.

I did go back and listen to Teens Of Denial and I'm really digging it too. It definitely sounds more polished so I can imagine how the re-work might sound. One day I'll get around to giving the new one a spin, but for now I'll continue to enjoy the imperfections of the original.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website