What genres does David Bowie use

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/21/2018 22:22
  • Post subject: What genres does David Bowie use
Another thread folks... So I've been struggling in the genre olympics and I put the entire blame on David Bowie. He doesn't make music like anyone else... And I was recently listening to Sirius Xm classic rock with my family on a road trip to see our family and "Fame" came on and it didn't sound like anything else on the station. I've listened to many albums by David Bowie and they all sound wildly different, so what genres are these albums David Bowie is making? Is "Fame" really Classic rock? Any help? Think
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 23:13
  • Post subject:
Bowie fluctuated between Art Rock and Glam Rock in the 70s, variously adding in elements of funk, electronic, and experiemental music. (I know experimental is vague, but a track like African Night Flight fits that category).
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2018 23:29
  • Post subject: Re: What genres does David Bowie use
YoungPunk wrote:
Is "Fame" really Classic rock? Any help? Think

Fame's classic rock because Bowie recorded it. Wink But definitely in the style of 70s funk -- hard funk at that. I'd say you could throw in the soul genre for this period too.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/22/2018 00:53
  • Post subject:
Oh I wouldn’t say the answer’s that simple. He started as a classic 60s folk/pop artist, barely 16. By the time he recorded Space Oddity he was experimenting with both the image and music. The Man Who Sold The World was glam meets Bowie and Bowie meets glam. Ziggy was a pinnacle of his brief glam superstar career which ended abruptly after funky rock of Aladdin Sane. Then there were all kinds of influences until the end of the 70s: soul, funk and pop on Young Americans, much darker and more experimental Station To Station, and the krautrock/electronica of the Berlin trilogy. Of course all the while he was a glam figure, brilliant pop songwriter who camouflaged his pop tunes in art/experimental attire ,and a true rocker in soul. And that’s just the first 13-14 years of his career, I’m not willing to write about the 80s Bowie (ugh) or the later comebacks and gems, all of which are unique in one way or another.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/22/2018 01:43
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Oh I wouldn’t say the answer’s that simple. He started as a classic 60s folk/pop artist, barely 16. By the time he recorded Space Oddity he was experimenting with both the image and music. The Man Who Sold The World was glam meets Bowie and Bowie meets glam. Ziggy was a pinnacle of his brief glam superstar career which ended abruptly after funky rock of Aladdin Sane. Then there were all kinds of influences until the end of the 70s: soul, funk and pop on Young Americans, much darker and more experimental Station To Station, and the krautrock/electronica of the Berlin trilogy. Of course all the while he was a glam figure, brilliant pop songwriter who camouflaged his pop tunes in art/experimental attire ,and a true rocker in soul. And that’s just the first 13-14 years of his career, I’m not willing to write about the 80s Bowie (ugh) or the later comebacks and gems, all of which are unique in one way or another.

I do think the 80s song "Let's Dance" isn't worthy of Bowie but I heard another 80s song by Bowie that I really liked on the radio, so I think I will check that out!
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/22/2018 14:40
  • Post subject:
I mean not everything he did in the 80s is bad, there are some great songs on Super Creeps, even Let's Dance has 3-4 hits that are great. Loving The Alien was alright, Under Pressure was also cool, but all in all the quality of his albums has dropped significantly compared to the 70s work

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/22/2018 19:40
  • Post subject:
Yeah I wish the 80s people worked on their complete albums more. Christopher Cross would've been so big If he only made good complete albums. His singles keep improving over his career....
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2018 20:20
  • Post subject:
Bowie had some really good stuff in the 80s. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) is an excellent album and is a perfect showcase for how underrated a guitarist Carlos Alomar is.

And Let's Dance is great if not just for introducing Stevie Ray Vaughan to the world

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/22/2018 20:32
  • Post subject:
Quote:
What genres does David Bowie use

Both.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined