Low Rank Vs. High Rank listening challenge. Same Year/Style.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 04:12
  • Post subject:
1993: California Punk Before the Dookie Was Unleased

Generator by Bad Religion

BEA Ranks (year/overall): 128 / 6,265

vs.

Kerplunk by Green Day

BEA Ranks (year/overall): 50/ 3,200

===========================================
Both of these albums were massively influential on the sound of the mid 90s. Which is better & why?[/quote]

I personally liked Generator by Bad Religion. I like the lyrics better, it seems more heartfelt, the songwriting is better, the recording is better, the bass tone is great (even though I typically am a Greed Day fan when it comes to bass tone). The only thing I dislike about it is I was craving some more dynamic, but that often is the weakness of punk (imo). Multiple vocalists and the solos seem to be better. Cool tempo changes. Atomic Garden was probably my favorite track.

The Green Day album is earlier in their career, so songwriting hadn't blossomed yet. The vocals and lyrics are lacking. The bass of course is fantastic. Welcome to Paradise is a bit rushed/messy compared to Bad Religion or Green Day's later recordings. The songs are that goofy pop sound, but aren't quite honed into the dookie green day later became, I guess some think. Sweet Children probably is my favorite track (I think was their first band name?). My Generation cover was actually pretty weak.

Both have that upbeat punk sound typical of CA punk. My 14 year old self loved this stuff and that ska revival a few years later. Another great band I love from this scene is Social Distortion.

I'll post my two albums once I figure out how the rules work.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two albums from 1968 in the blues yet psychedelic rock genre and don't have a massive distance between the two but I don't really hear a lot of recognition of The Steve Miller Band and most people just think fly like an eagle and that's the end, but they actually did some really cool stuff in the late 60s overshadowed by other stuffs.

Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Top 5 albums of 1968 (3rd)
Top 20 albums of the 1960s (18th)
Top 100 albums of all time (70th)

VS

Sailor by Steve Miller Band

Top albums of 1968 (75th)
Top albums of the 1960s (410th)
Best albums of all time (6,000th)
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2018 10:55
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
1993: California Punk Before They Dropped The Dookie

Generator by Bad Religion

BEA Ranks (year/overall): 128 / 6,265

vs.

Kerplunk by Green Day

BEA Ranks (year/overall): 50/ 3,200

===========================================
Both of these albums were massively influential on the sound of the mid 90s. Which is better & why?

Quote:

I personally liked Generator by Bad Religion. I like the lyrics better, it seems more heartfelt, the songwriting is better, the recording is better, the bass tone is great (even though I typically am a Greed Day fan when it comes to bass tone). The only thing I dislike about it is I was craving some more dynamic, but that often is the weakness of punk (imo). Multiple vocalists and the solos seem to be better. Cool tempo changes. Atomic Garden was probably my favorite track.

The Green Day album is earlier in their career, so songwriting hadn't blossomed yet. The vocals and lyrics are lacking. The bass of course is fantastic. Welcome to Paradise is a bit rushed/messy compared to Bad Religion or Green Day's later recordings. The songs are that goofy pop sound, but aren't quite honed into the dookie green day later became, I guess some think. Sweet Children probably is my favorite track (I think was their first band name?). My Generation cover was actually pretty weak.

Both have that upbeat punk sound typical of CA punk. My 14 year old self loved this stuff and that ska revival a few years later. Another great band I love from this scene is Social Distortion.

Completely agree. Great synopsis. I think Bad Religion may have been the most influential band of the entire 1990s punk scene. So many band copied the sound of their late 80s/early 90s records like this one.

Social D r great. Mercury LOVES them. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 04/18/2018 07:54
  • Post subject:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

Mr. Fantasy by Traffic

This will probably not last. But for the time being, I vote for Traffic. I just literally discovered the Traffic album (it was hidden somewhere in my wife’s collection). And am still utterly amazed. I only had a best of Album by Traffic that I found okay but not overwhelming. A wonderful example of how one album can be much better as a whole than just a collection of "hits".
Everything on the album is great, and it is Mr. Fantasy that I liked the least.
It is full of ideas, different styles and the voice of Winwood fits beautifully to the mood that is created. And the sitar on Utterly Simple wins easily over Within You Without You.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 04/18/2018 13:31
  • Post subject:
Liedzeit wrote:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

Mr. Fantasy by Traffic

This will probably not last. But for the time being, I vote for Traffic. I just literally discovered the Traffic album (it was hidden somewhere in my wife’s collection). And am still utterly amazed. I only had a best of Album by Traffic that I found okay but not overwhelming. A wonderful example of how one album can be much better as a whole than just a collection of "hits".
Everything on the album is great, and it is Mr. Fantasy that I liked the least.
It is full of ideas, different styles and the voice of Winwood fits beautifully to the mood that is created. And the sitar on Utterly Simple wins easily over Within You Without You.

I only recently heard the whole Mr Fantasy album, even though I knew one or two songs from before. I always liked a couple of their early 70s albums like John Barleycorn, but I never really listened to their 60s albums. This one is really great. I wouldn't rank it higher than Sergeant Pepper, but it's still pretty good.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/18/2018 13:51
  • Post subject:
You can really tell that Traffic wasn’t quite there yet.

I think I’m going to give it to Sgt. Peppers despite absolutely hating being in The Beatles corner on such a contentious issue. Mr. Fantasy is too inconsistent to really give it the edge and while I prefer a lot of stuff on the guitar end it just doesn’t push Mr. Fantasy enough to compete for me.
  • Visit poster's website
Moved: 04/18/2018 14:08 by RockyRaccoon
From Music to Games
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2018 19:02
  • Post subject:
Anyone going to take the Jimi Hendrix vs Steve Miller Band challenge?

RULES:
- You have to listen to a previously suggested 2 albums, and comment on them before you can post a new listening challenge.
- The two albums you list in your challenge must be from the same year, and be somehow comparable in style/genre.
  • Visit poster's website