Classical Charts - Selecting single works

View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 05/30/2018 19:56
  • Post subject: Classical Charts - Selecting single works
I may want to create a Classical chart but I want to "select" single works, whereas most Classical "albums" contain more than one work (such as a number of chamber or piano works, or a Symphony + overture, etc).

I understand that the focus of this site is "albums" and that Classical CDs were probably not its original intent. But I also understand that (usually) the focus of our charts are to show a ranking of "single" works (not a ranking of Beethoven's 9th Symphony + Coriolan Overture, and so forth). This is even more of an issue with, say, his String Quartets or Late String Quartets, the best renditions of which almost always come together as a collection or in a boxed set.

I would like to start submitting secondary selections available for "single" works, where it still cites the same CD/album, but instead of the title alluding to multiple works on the CD, there is an available entry for a single work so that any readers know which specific "work" the author of the chart is ranking. For instance, with Karajan's 1963 recording of Beethoven's 9th, there would be the overall entry which cites both the Symphony and Corolian Overture in the chart entry title -- but additionally -- there would be another entry available that uses the same image but only cites Beethoven's 9th Symphony in the title (or even a 3rd available for the Overture alone, if someone ended up citing that, such as for a list of "best overtures"). Same thing with String Quartets, etc.

It would simply be up to the users to create these additional "single work" entries as such lists were made.

Before I start submitting these and spending lots of time creating such a chart, I would like to know in advance if these will be accepted.

Thank you.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 05/30/2018 20:03
  • Post subject:
I mean you can always just put a chart note indicating what work the placement is referencing
YoungPunk

• Posted: 05/30/2018 21:48
  • Post subject:
Try listening to it first....
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 05/30/2018 23:37
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I mean you can always just put a chart note indicating what work the placement is referencing

That's a good idea that I considered... Is it evident enough to people looking over a chart? (I am not the best person to determine this because I hardly use the charts here) ... I might just roll with that but Ill see what albummaster says. Maybe another bright idea will also come from this.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/31/2018 09:22
  • Post subject: Re: Classical Charts - Selecting single works
Hi, I don't mean to make things difficult but all releases on BEA must tie back exactly to a corresponding physical release. I think it would be a dangerous path as far as BEA is concerned if we started to deviate from this as releases would then not be verifiable, and the track list/artwork/year of release would become arbitrary and difficult/impossible to moderate (also opens the door a little bit too far for other users to then create their own variations of albums and possibly flooding the site).

I understand the wish to rank specific classical pieces. but I don't think we have the platform on BEA to be able to do this without bending things too far. Thinking ahead, this is something that could be added further down the line as we've previously received suggestions to be able to create 'song' charts which could also then be utilised for individual classical pieces. I'm currently working on a massive site update, so hopefully at some point BEA could provide this kind of functionality, but it's not ready at the moment.

AM
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 05/31/2018 16:32
  • Post subject: Re: Classical Charts - Selecting single works
albummaster wrote:
Hi, I don't mean to make things difficult but all releases on BEA must tie back exactly to a corresponding physical release. I think it would be a dangerous path as far as BEA is concerned if we started to deviate from this as releases would then not be verifiable, and the track list/artwork/year of release would become arbitrary and difficult/impossible to moderate (also opens the door a little bit too far for other users to then create their own variations of albums and possibly flooding the site).

I understand the wish to rank specific classical pieces. but I don't think we have the platform on BEA to be able to do this without bending things too far. Thinking ahead, this is something that could be added further down the line as we've previously received suggestions to be able to create 'song' charts which could also then be utilised for individual classical pieces. I'm currently working on a massive site update, so hopefully at some point BEA could provide this kind of functionality, but it's not ready at the moment.

AM

Hi AM, thank you for getting back. That's all understandable. If I make a Classical chart, maybe Ill just roll with dividesbyzero's suggestion for the time being.
  • Visit poster's website