71%  [10]
No
28%
 28%  [4]
Total Votes : 14

Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/25/2018 07:54
  • Post subject:
Again, talking about taxation and not living costs. I was disputing YoungPunk saying that US taxes were 'super high', which simply isn't true when comparing it to other developed nations. Seeing the % of revenue from taxation of a nation's GDP isn't meant to measure individual income, and I'm sure a vast portion of that % is collected from businesses, but it for sure suggests whether a country has higher total national taxation across the board.

The Wikipedia article you linked uses the same data I linked to as a source.

I'm not calling your friend a liar, and again, total living costs is a whole other debate and rabbit whole that I was never trying to go down, but if you believe that aggregate, peer-reviewed data pulled in from over 200 committees (who's reliability has every right to questioned) is just as anecdotal, then I don't know if there's a shred of evidence I could show you that you would believe otherwise. Unless, maybe, I pull in my mate from the pub who lived in America once who has a few thoughts.

I'd put it to you to prove that the statistics the OECD are presenting are 'bloated', then we're having a much more interesting debate.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/25/2018 10:13
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
But if you find something that's like 'Mericuh gon dun pay less=10%, well then I'll trust my anecdotal evidence/wikipedia/life experience/use case evidence over a bloated percentage.

Hey I've got a morning to kill and this stuff is actually pretty interesting so why not.

I think it's fair to look at income tax since we're talking about how tax effects the average Joe, the OECD stats compare the revenue from all taxes which, as I said before, while giving a pretty clear fundamental idea of a countries taxation levels, maybe isn't what's causing someone to say taxes in their country are 'super-high'.

I roughly compared personal taxable income brackets of 30,000 EU in Germany and 35,000 USD in the United States, because these are both close to each other when converting the currencies, and also sit comfortably around the average personal income in both countries.

In the United States, that firmly puts in the 12% federal income tax bracket.

https://files.taxfoundation.org/2018020...pdated.pdf

Germany is a bit more difficult to calculate since they have an incremental progressive taxation system for the majority of taxpayers. 30,000 EU places you around the 18% mark for income tax.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/w...dex_en.htm

There's also a church tax, which is 8-9% of your income tax if you have religious affiliations. It's a bit weird, and from what I looked into it, it seems like you can get around it pretty easily by not declaring yourself as religious. Pretty interesting, not heard of it before.

So that's a roughly 6% increase in income tax, which isn't quite your 10%, but once you start looking into social security, things add up.

In Germany you are obliged to pay a pension scheme, an unemployment insurance, health insurance, and disability insurance. This comes to about 20% of your gross salary (your employer pays the other 20%).

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/D...y_2018.pdf
https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insigh...evies.html

In comparison, in the US social security is 6.2% of an employees gross salary, which covers old age, survivor and disability insurance. Oh, and don't forget the whopping 1.45% Medicare tax on gross salary also.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc751

It's always going to be difficult to compare taxes between different countries, and I'm glossing over finer details like tax breaks for married couples, state taxes and so on, but I think this at least gives a fair sense of a comparison between the two. The US has always had a 'hard-on-taxes' culture, and whether that's a good or bad thing is another story. Sure, you pay for those tax breaks on medical fees and college loans down the line, does it balance out? I don't know. Are US taxes 'super-high'? I'll stick with no.

If there's any dodgy sources or faults here, do let me know. I tried to get information as 'from the horses mouth' as a could, but alas - I don't speak very good German.

Last edited by Puncture Repair on 05/25/2018 17:01; edited 1 time in total
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/25/2018 15:22
  • Post subject:
I donno, I only went to Higher Education for a few semesters but considering how many fewer times I was called "F****T" and me & my classmates not being treated like 5-year-olds in a hurdling competition by the teachers and administrators during College def made me look back on the later days more fondly.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/02/2018 22:45
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
I donno, I only went to Higher Education for a few semesters but considering how many fewer times I was called "F****T" and me & my classmates not being treated like 5-year-olds in a hurdling competition by the teachers and administrators during College def made me look back on the later days more fondly.

If you try and last past a few semesters you learn a bunch. You should re-enroll. It sounds like I partied all the time but its really like seth said freshman year is mainly when you have a bunch of fun. Actually, I probably could've partied more but I was so interested in Physics and especially String Theory that I stopped going to have more time for studies and even research. I even helped publish papers that now have more than 100 citations, and I didn't do filework either, it was heavy duty Stephen Hawking Theory shit... It was super fun....
  • Visit poster's website