Religious music and country music is the worst

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkm

• Posted: 06/05/2018 23:45
  • Post subject:
Bruce Cockburn is another interesting artist to investigate. The trajectory of his long career has gone from folky singer/songwriter in the 70’s whose mysticism ultimately embraced Christianity, and then from the 80’s onward he evolved as his spirituality faced more outward to the world at large, addressing the state of the world as he became a traveller and reporter of sorts. At its best, spiritual music is not insular, and does not deny hard truths. It attempts to bring together disparate things in a framework that can bring healing or redemption.

I’m not meaning to say that the only good religious music, is music that has an element of social activism. I like a good deal of religious music that is introspective and devotional. John Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme” is exactly that, and perhaps non-religious people can appreciate it on a different level, because it doesn’t contain explicit religious language. Perhaps people who are turned off by religious language, should treat Christian music with the same open mindedness they might have if they listened to music from a different culture, say African if you’re not African etc.

Here’s an album I really like from this year from a Christian who is coming to terms with the end of her marriage. I don’t think you have to be Christian to get something from this. You might have to be able to tolerate introspective singer/songwriters though.

Songs From The Valley by Sandra McCracken

Last edited by rkm on 06/06/2018 00:17; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 06/06/2018 00:15
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
And it is not your opinion that matters. Sounds a little judgmental be careful of sinning. If homosexuality were so unforgivable an action why did Jesus Christ not talk about it? It surely existed in the time frame he was here.

I agree that it isn't my opinion that matters. At the end of the day, its the Lord who has the final say and Leviticus 20:13 and Romans 1:27 is where homosexuality is acknowledged in the Lord's word.

YoungPunk wrote:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
JOSweetHeart wrote:
To me, there isn't such a thing as a gay christian when the Bible does not encourage homosexuality, but that is another conversation of course. That girl looks like she has her fingers in her ears. I wonder what she is trying to not hear.

God bless you and her always!!!

Holly

Least surprising opinion 2018.

God's opinion changes based on what year it is Rolling Eyes

I don't believe that his opinion has ever once changed. Its so many other people's opinion that has.

Hayden wrote:
JOSweetHeart wrote:

Kacey Musgraves-Even if she and I did share the same views on certain things, her singing and music both are just boring. The only credit that I can give her is the fact that she can song write and she picked country music out of the other forms of music that there are, but if you want music with pep, walk the other way if you see her headed in your direction.

Maren Morris-She sounds too much like a folk copy of Kacey Musgraves and her first song on the radio named "My Church" for me was a major turn off for the same reason why I hate that one song from the Dixie Chicks. Just like Carrie Underwood, Maren doesn't know that first impressions are the most important.

JOS, you're killing me. Musgraves, Morris, Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell are the only country artists I think are worth listening since Gillian Welch. And, like, maybe Chris Stapleton's up there, but I'm still iffy on him. I thought you'd like them Sad

I love Chris's "Parachute" song. Smile Smile Smile

jackbrown8786 wrote:
EDIT: I knew I shouldn't have started reading these posts.... sorry, but the bible isn't "open to interpretation" on the gay "issue." in the middle of a bunch of "thou shalt"'s and "thou shalt not"'s you have leviticus 20:13 demanding the death of any guy who sleeps with another guy. if that doesn't piss you off then you can go extinct already, caveman, you're long overdue. that religion isn't okay and has no place in today's world. the bible is disgusting to anyone with a head on his shoulders. you don't need to have tolerance for intolerance, btw. I don't tolerate christianity for the same reason I don't tolerate nazism - YOU DON'T SUPPORT SOMETHING THAT HAS LAWS DEMANDING THE DEATH OF SOMEONE BASED ON THEIR SEXUALITY (or which day of the week someone might work, or which pocket they put their change in, for a couple examples from the brilliant bible). if you want to live by the bible's laws then you can go live in a 3rd world middle eastern country, plenty of them have sharia (old testament) law. no american has any excuse for this shit. WHY is this a conversation in 2018? a conversation through these highly advanced technological machines about some barbarian's racist, sexist, homophobic, mass murderer god and his ridiculous laws. it's a sick joke really. it's really amazing how THIS is considered offensive to so many ppl, like, "boo hoo, he's insulting nazis, what a dick." THINK b4 moderating. the religion is offensive, not me. if someone said, "YEAH, KILL GAY PPL" and I ranted at them with this, you'd completely understand. what's the difference here?

To me, it should be up to the Lord when a person goes forward, which is what makes me wonder about those who take their life like my newest favorite singer did 20 years ago this Sunday. If his doing that was not a part of the Lord's plan, I would love to know what the Lord's intention truly was and if he forgives those who take their life with that being their final act on this planet since we are not to kill anyone.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. My newest favorite is the at the top of this picture. My only other question is what or should I ask who made that gun look so tasty in his opinion?

Check him out here when you can!

Last edited by JOSweetHeart on 06/06/2018 03:24; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 06/06/2018 00:59
  • Post subject:
Here’s a 2018 album I’m digging that marketed as country but is a bit atypical and hard to categorise.

It has a raw energy and immediacy combined with classicist songcraft. At times it reminds me of Elvis Costello or Paul McCartney, or even Jack White. Check it out.

Other Arrangements by Parker Millsap
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2018 03:23
  • Post subject:
jackbrown8786 wrote:
Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger is a great album.

the most religious album I like is What's Goin On and I'm struggling to think of something else. I guess A Love Supreme is supposed to be very inspired but I don't really count that. oh and I'm pretty sure there are some rap albums that start talking all this god shit that I otherwise LOVE but I'm not really trying to bring them to mind.

I mostly reluctantly agree with you though OP even though I like a lot of outlaw country and even embarrassingly enough 90's poppier country.

EDIT: I knew I shouldn't have started reading these posts.... sorry, but the bible isn't "open to interpretation" on the gay "issue." in the middle of a bunch of "thou shalt"'s and "thou shalt not"'s you have leviticus 20:13 demanding the death of any guy who sleeps with another guy. if that doesn't piss you off then you can go extinct already, caveman, you're long overdue. that religion isn't okay and has no place in today's world. the bible is disgusting to anyone with a head on his shoulders. you don't need to have tolerance for intolerance, btw. I don't tolerate christianity for the same reason I don't tolerate nazism - YOU DON'T SUPPORT SOMETHING THAT HAS LAWS DEMANDING THE DEATH OF SOMEONE BASED ON THEIR SEXUALITY (or which day of the week someone might work, or which pocket they put their change in, for a couple examples from the brilliant bible). if you want to live by the bible's laws then you can go live in a 3rd world middle eastern country, plenty of them have sharia (old testament) law. no american has any excuse for this shit. WHY is this a conversation in 2018? a conversation through these highly advanced technological machines about some barbarian's racist, sexist, homophobic, mass murderer god and his ridiculous laws. it's a sick joke really. it's really amazing how THIS is considered offensive to so many ppl, like, "boo hoo, he's insulting nazis, what a dick." THINK b4 moderating. the religion is offensive, not me. if someone said, "YEAH, KILL GAY PPL" and I ranted at them with this, you'd completely understand. what's the difference here?

You misspelled 'Islam' there, Jack.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 06/06/2018 04:22
  • Post subject:
oh yeah, Rolling Stones' "Shine A Light On You" is one of the best parts of Exile On Main Street, I mean I know they're not religious but that song is pretty gospel-ish and has lyrics that could have been written by a devout christian. still wouldn't take back any religious jabs but this came to mind earlier while listening to records ("my life in the bush of ghosts" of all records actually)
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/06/2018 04:50
  • Post subject:
Actually I don't remember If Verdi was atheist like JackBrown so maybe you guys win.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/06/2018 04:51
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
jackbrown8786 wrote:
Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger is a great album.

the most religious album I like is What's Goin On and I'm struggling to think of something else. I guess A Love Supreme is supposed to be very inspired but I don't really count that. oh and I'm pretty sure there are some rap albums that start talking all this god shit that I otherwise LOVE but I'm not really trying to bring them to mind.

I mostly reluctantly agree with you though OP even though I like a lot of outlaw country and even embarrassingly enough 90's poppier country.

You misspelled 'Islam' there, Jack.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 06/06/2018 04:57
  • Post subject:
Leviticus 19:13 says that you have to pay employees every day, I don't think it's a book that really applies to a lot of practiced Christianity. Also, this convo is going really well!
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/06/2018 05:09
  • Post subject:
It's actually very confusing to me, I've thought a great deal about this stuff...
  • Visit poster's website
berliszt

• Posted: 06/06/2018 05:31
  • Post subject:
I'm an atheist, and, being a classical fan, religious music is among my favourite. It was simply an enormous inspiration for many composers. Even if one doesn't believe it'd be pretty silly to ignore hundreds of works by some of the greatest musical minds of all time. Who cares about the inspiration, as the music is fantastic:

Bach, hundreds of great religious works
Very many GREAT medieval/renaissance composers
Some of Mozart's greatest works
Handel's operas and oratorios
Beethoven's Missa Solemnis
Berlioz' Requiem and L'Enfance du Christ
Verdi's Requiem
Liszt's Christus, Via Crucis, Motets
Brahms' Requiem and wonderful motets
Rachmaninoff's Vespers and Liturgy
Stravinsky's sacred works, especially the Symphony of Psalms and the late works (Threni, Requiem Canticles)

^Some of the greatest music of all time, and that brief overview is only scratching the surface.
  • Visit poster's website