What are your favorite musicals???

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2018 12:20
  • Post subject: What are your favorite musicals???
These are my all-time top musicals.

(P.S. I just discovered letterboxd and I'm just looking for excuses to use it.)

https://letterboxd.com/writer70/list/mo...ls/detail/
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2018 20:17
  • Post subject:
There hasn't been much enthusiasm for it, but I'll be damned if we aren't doing this list in the games section at some point in the next year or so. Been a long time since I made a personal musical list, but a top 100 could easily be done. With that said, here's a chronological list of some of my all time favorites off the top of my head. I'll bold the ones that may possibly be my #1.

Love Me Tonight
42nd Street
Top Hat
Swing Time
The Wizard of Oz
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Meet Me in St. Louis
Easter Parade
On the Town
Singin in the Rain
The Band Wagon
A Star is Born
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
West Side Story
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Sound of Music
The Young Girls of Rochefort
Phantom of the Paradise
Tommy
Nashville
All That Jazz
Victor/Victoria
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Cannibal! The Musical
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Dancer in the Dark
Moulin Rouge!
Romance & Cigarettes
Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny
La La Land

That's 30. Throw in ten Disney movies (I always forget them) and I've got a top 40 that barely scratches the surface, but they're my absolute favorites for sure unless I'm forgetting something major.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 06/21/2018 20:59
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
There hasn't been much enthusiasm for it, but I'll be damned if we aren't doing this list in the games section at some point in the next year or so. Been a long time since I made a personal musical list, but a top 100 could easily be done. With that said, here's a chronological list of some of my all time favorites off the top of my head. I'll bold the ones that may possibly be my #1.

Love Me Tonight
42nd Street
Top Hat
Swing Time
The Wizard of Oz
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Meet Me in St. Louis
Easter Parade
On the Town
Singin in the Rain
The Band Wagon
A Star is Born
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
West Side Story
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Sound of Music
The Young Girls of Rochefort
Phantom of the Paradise
Tommy
Nashville
All That Jazz
Victor/Victoria
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Cannibal! The Musical
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Dancer in the Dark
Moulin Rouge!
Romance & Cigarettes
Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny
La La Land

That's 30. Throw in ten Disney movies (I always forget them) and I've got a top 40 that barely scratches the surface, but they're my absolute favorites for sure unless I'm forgetting something major.

You like a lot of the same old ones as me, but not the same later ones. To be honest I probably don't know 100 musicals well enough to come up with a hundred. But there's also some great musical numbers I remember seeing, but I get confused about which exact movie I saw them in. For instance I know there's a lot more Fred Astaire and Judy Garland numbers that I liked, but I don't remember which movie they were in.
  • Visit poster's website
21stCenturySchiz

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2018 19:34
  • Post subject:
Anyone count The Blues Brothers? I do!
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2018 19:41
  • Post subject:
21stCenturySchiz wrote:
Anyone count The Blues Brothers? I do!

I never thought about it before, but yeah. I guess it is a musical. And the musical numbers actually take place as part of the story. That's the best kind of musical.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2018 03:00
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
the musical numbers actually take place as part of the story. That's the best kind of musical.

My favorite kind of musicals are the ones where the music is organic to the story. The musical isn't my favorite genre, though there are some I love. Off the top of my head:

Singin' in the Rain
Top Hat
The Wizard of Oz
Phantom of the Paradise
The Gold Diggers of 1933
42nd Street
All That Jazz
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Producers (1968)
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Swing Time
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Meet Me in St. Louis
French Cancan
Love Me Tonight
On the Town
West Side Story
Tommy

Though Nashville's usually considered a musical, I Have trouble counting it, but it would be near the top.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2018 05:26
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
There hasn't been much enthusiasm for it, but I'll be damned if we aren't doing this list in the games section at some point in the next year or so.

I'm willing to host a film poll. Not going to do the film noir one without you being able to fully participate, because, since it's essentially pre-1960 movies, I'm afraid we're not going to get enough participation -- enough participation was a already a concern.

I'm down to host almost any film poll users are interested in (except musicals, which I'm really not feeling from a host perspective). I'd be willing to do war, action movie or any other genre poll even if they're not ones I'm not particularly into personally. Open to suggestions.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2018 05:43
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
I'm willing to host a film poll. Not going to do the film noir one without you being able to fully participate, because, since it's essentially pre-1960 movies, I'm afraid we're not going to get enough participation -- enough participation was a already a concern.

I'm down to host almost any film poll users are interested in (except musicals, which I'm really not feeling from a host perspective). I'd be willing to do war, action movie or any other genre poll even if they're not ones I'm not particularly into personally. Open to suggestions.

I would participate in any genre at all, even ones that aren't favorites of mine. Like war movies. It's not one of my favorites but I've seen enough of them to participate. Didn't somebody already mention that "gangster movie" isn't really a genre? I think somebody ruled that out. Does it have to be genres? Can't it just be decades or something? Or foreign language movies or something? I would participate in anything at all though, just because I like making lists.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2018 05:56
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:

Is suspense or thrillers a genre? Or is it like too vague?
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2018 06:37
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I would participate in any genre at all, even ones that aren't favorites of mine. Like war movies. It's not one of my favorites but I've seen enough of them to participate.

It's not a particular favorite of mine either, but it's an idea that's been floated before -- why I mentioned it.

Quote:
Didn't somebody already mention that "gangster movie" isn't really a genre? I think somebody ruled that out.

Not exactly. When I first posted the neo-noir thread, someone asked why gangster movies aren't usually counted as film noir. I tried to answer it, but it's complicated because even though 30s gangster movies aren't usually considered noir, a lot of 40s and 50s gangster movies are -- The Big Heat, Key Largo, even White Heat. I'd be willing to host a Gangster movie poll (all years), guess it doesn't matter if it overlaps with a classic film noir one.

Quote:
Does it have to be genres?

No!
Quote:
Can't it just be decades or something? Or foreign language movies or something? I would participate in anything at all though, just because I like making lists.

Like the attitude! The issue with decade lists is that Hayden hosted the series of decade lists that ended in Spring 2017. So even though I didn't participate because it was before my time, users might think it's too soon to start the whole project over again.

Non-English Language Films is an interesting idea. I thought of it myself tonight when Hayden posted that BBC Foreign Film list. If there's interest, I'd be happy to host.

Some promising ideas. Any thoughts?
  • Visit poster's website