Controversial Movie Opinions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2018 02:16
  • Post subject:
I kind of agree with the one about dr. Strangelove. All of his movies surrounding that one I love, and I've watched over and over again. But Dr Strangelove not so much. I'm not sure why I like it less than most people do.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2018 06:39
  • Post subject: Re: Controversial Movie Opinions
hereforashortime wrote:
Just like the controversial Music opinions thread, but for movies

- Russel Crowe's only good performance is in A Beautiful Mind I hadn't seen LA Confidential at that point
- David Fincher's Best Movie is the Social Network
- The Narration in Sunset Boulevard pretty much ruins the movie
- Dr Strangelove isn't that funny I probably didn't appreciate it the first time I saw it, now it's hilarious
- Gladiator is terribly overrated
- Boyhood is a gimmicky movie that tries to cover up is lack of interesting content by trying to be nostalgic
- Scott Pilgrim vs the World is better than the Entire Cornetto Trilogy
- Albert Brooks is one of the most underrated directors of all time
- Christopher Guest's movies aren't that funny I have no idea what I was thinking here
- Richard Linklater's Best movie is Dazed and Confused

It's amazing how much your opinions change in about a year.[/b]
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2018 14:46
  • Post subject:
There are some legitimately great films in the slasher genre.
Forrest Gump is garbage
John Wane Sucks
Most pre 70 classics are ok at best.
Comedy holds up best to repeat viewings
It is ok for a movie to be made just to have fun watching not everything needs to be life changing to be good.
For the most part Tarantino's movies get progressively worse.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dazed And Confused are both legitimately great movies on several levels.
Val Kilmer in Tombstone is among the top 2 or 3 performances in Cinema history.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2018 23:15
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
There are some legitimately great films in the slasher genre.

Not my favorite horror subgenre, but there are several really good ones. Never liked knives and needles used onscreen that much, though I'm okay with chain saws!

Quote:
Forrest Gump is garbage

It sucks. I can name 5 Oscar Best Picture winners from the last 15 years that suck too. And another 5 that are meh at best.

Quote:
John Wane Sucks

When I was a kid I mainly knew Wayne as this right-wing Western guy (and I hadn't seen a great Western yet). But he's great. Have you seen The Searchers and Red River?

Quote:
Most pre 70 classics are ok at best.

To me this is the same as saying most pre-80s albums are ok at best. Unfortunately as the population gets younger, both are becoming more common opinions.

Quote:
Comedy holds up best to repeat viewings

There's something to that, but not just them.

Quote:
It is ok for a movie to be made just to have fun watching not everything needs to be life changing to be good.

Yes... but it's okay for a movie to be artistic too.

Quote:
For the most part Tarantino's movies get progressively worse.

Yes, though the Jackie Brown-Kill Bill-Inglourious Basterds run gets progressively better.

Quote:
Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Dazed And Confused are both legitimately great movies on several levels.

Most film buffs consider Dazed and Confused to be great and Fast Times at Ridgemont High to be very good.

These of course are all my own opinions as well.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2018 08:26
  • Post subject:
BASEketball is one of the best satires ever made.

Tom Hanks should have stuck to comedy.

Alien is better than Aliens (is this controversial? I swear I always see Aliens ranked higher by people)

The 90s are the greatest decade for movies. (I used to say the 70s, but I've flipped)

Eh, I'm bad at stirring up controversy. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2018 09:45
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

The 90s are the greatest decade for movies. (I used to say the 70s, but I've flipped)

Eh, I'm bad at stirring up controversy. Laughing

These two are pretty controversial. I'm on board with the first, off the planet with the second.

Aliens is popular with the general public -- great James Cameron action movie -- but Alien is considered the best.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2018 11:01
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
BASEketball is one of the best satires ever made.

Hell yes! I effing love this movie.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

No way. Tom Hanks's transition to serious roles demonstrated what a dynamic actor he is.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Alien is better than Aliens (is this controversial? I swear I always see Aliens ranked higher by people)

Not controversial. And I agree with you.

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

I'm willing to bet this is a biased analysis. Have you seen anywhere close to an equal number of films from every decade?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2018 19:29
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I'm willing to bet this is a biased analysis. Have you seen anywhere close to an equal number of films from every decade?

I'm sure not many people could claim seeing an "equal" number of films from each decade, but I've more than enough under my belt from every decade to make this claim.

Classic Hollywood kind of bores me now, and I've gotten tired of the 70s.

"So bad they're funny movies" started in the 50s (most bad movies before this time period are just...bad) with B grade horror movies that have largely retained their charm. The 60s 70s and 80s had many of the same types of bad movies. Sure, there definitely was an increasing amount of terrible studio pictures, but nowhere near as many as there was in the 90s. I've gotten just as much enjoyment out of watching the endless trash pile of 90s movies as anything else in recent times. And, underneath the garbage heap are some really great lesser-known documentaries and arty-type films that are provocative and interesting. Or just batshit crazy.

Can I get a double feature of a Harmony Korine movie and a Jon Turtletaub movie?

Gummo and 3 Ninjas?

Just look at this list of movies I made on IMDB. It's terrible!

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026616226/
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2018 23:02
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Just look at this list of movies I made on IMDB. It's terrible!

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026616226/

Man looking at the first page of this list took me back. Haven't watched Rocket Man nor Rat Race in a long time.

Checked the list further and saw other movies from my childhood like Spice World and Cats vs Dogs.

Also, why wasn't the Austin Powers movies on this? And there are a couple movies on this list I kinda want to see.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2018 09:52
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
"So bad they're funny movies" started in the 50s

Um, Reefer Madness, Maniac (1934), Baby Face (I think it's great, but it's about a woman who literally sleeps her way to the top, justified by Nietzsche!), which can stand in for a large number of scandalous pre-code movies. It's true that in the 50s, thanks to teens going to drive-ins on their parents' disposable dime, campy movies become almost a subgenre unto themselves.

Also in the 40s, there are quite a few B-noir films that have some camp/kitsch (using these words loosely to mean unintentionally funny or outrageous) value, while still being pretty good too! Gun Crazy (you've probably seen it), The Big Combo (also directed by Joseph B. Lewis), Detour, Devil Thumbs a Ride, Born to Kill, Shakedown, The Damned Don't Cry, Phantom Lady, Follow Me Quietly, The Blue Dahlia... the first 20 minutes of On Dangerous Ground with Robert Ryan playing an abusive cop are gold.

Quote:
(most bad movies before this time period are just...bad)

Most bad movies from every decade are just bad. Any other take's just taste. Plenty of bad bad movies in the post-50s decades -- Robin Williams made quite a few of those in the 90s etc.

Quote:
The 60s 70s and 80s had many of the same types of bad movies. Sure, there definitely was an increasing amount of terrible studio pictures, but nowhere near as many as there was in the 90s.

There is the phenomenon of indie B/exploitation-type stories becoming studio B/exploitation movies after Jaws, Star Wars and Superman, but I submit that the ratio of good to bad studio movies has largely been the same as long as there have been studios. Whether they're so-bad-they're-good is mostly subjective. Certainly the 70s have as many of those as any other decade, it's just that most of them weren't studio movies (though the studios put out quite a bit of strange or campy shit then). 500 blaxploitation movies came out in the 70s, just for instance.

Seems to me the biggest material difference between 70s and 90s SBTG (so bad they're good) movies isn't quantity or what company made them, but that more of the 90s movies are PG and G movies, and more of the 70s movies are R and even X.
  • Visit poster's website