Urgent Book News!

View previous topic :: View next topic
YoungPunk

• Posted: 07/07/2018 00:13
  • Post subject: Urgent Book News!
My former college teacher Brian Keating wrote a book blasting the Nobel Prize for reasons such that it promotes greed rather than scientists focusing on the joys of science for its own sake and his own related personal struggle with the issue.
Among his solutions is a posthumous Nobel Physics Award. Physics is no longer an area where discoveries smack you in the face and you say why didn't I see that before. We are entering an era of unforeseen complication, where it turns out previously held beliefs that the universe can be explained, at least without complication, is wrong. Its no longer like that. The problem is that the Nobel committee doesn't realize this simple fact. We need to expand the time for complex scientific revelations to be appreciated beyond a simple human lifetime to do justice to this fact. What do you guys think?
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2018 18:59
  • Post subject:
Physics has not been "an area where discoveries smack you in the face and you say why didn't I see that before" since, at least, the introduction of the physics Nobel in 1901. Einstein's seminal papers on special relativity and the photoelectric effect were published in 1905.

Maybe it's because I haven't read the book, but based on your post I don't understand the need to retool the Nobel.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 07/08/2018 00:07
  • Post subject:
Small brain: Newton was a good guy
Medium brain: Newton was a jerk
Big Brain: Newton was a good guy
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2018 00:34
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
Small brain: Newton was a good guy
Medium brain: Newton was a jerk
Big Brain: Newton was a good guy

I'm sorry. I still don't understand.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 07/08/2018 00:45
  • Post subject:
I wasn't talking to you but if you're interested here goes (Note that due to my reading troubles recently I haven't read the whole book either, I'm just advertising for the sake of my professor...). As we can see by progress on the stock market in the U.S. science is progressing very quickly. While quantum mechanics and special relativity, previous drivers of the stock market may seem counter intuitive, from a calculational stand point the formalism is very intuitive. Now what is driving the stock market is condensed matter physics which is a mess (check out condensed matter in a nutshell, its horrible). However progress is being made through some both very counter intuitive, and also mathematically complex measures.. The Nobel Prize commitee, however, seems content to hand out the award to a bunch of small timers. When will Ed Witten win a Nobel as well as a Fields medal? I think he deserves both! ( Check out recent papers by Ed Witten, and even more importantly Nathan Seiberg, I worked with his friend Ken Intriligator on this during college). While the Nobel Peace prize is widely criticized by trolls everywhere, the woes of the Nobel Physics prize, which is even more important is almost never criticized. Thats why I am happy Brian Keatingr wrote a book critical of the Nobel Prize. I am probably too set in my disdain for the Nobel Physics Prize to keep interested in the book (I know I probably shouldn't be, but I hate it...), but if you want you can read it, thats why I'm advertising it...
  • Visit poster's website
creator

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2018 01:02
  • Post subject:
YoungPunk wrote:
I wasn't talking to you but if you're interested here goes (Note that due to my reading troubles recently I haven't read the whole book either, I'm just advertising for the sake of my professor...). As we can see by progress on the stock market in the U.S. science is progressing very quickly. While quantum mechanics and special relativity, previous drivers of the stock market may seem counter intuitive, from a calculational stand point the formalism is very intuitive. Now what is driving the stock market is condensed matter physics which is a mess (check out condensed matter in a nutshell, its horrible). However progress is being made through some both very counter intuitive, and also mathematically complex measures.. The Nobel Prize commitee, however, seems content to hand out the award to a bunch of small timers. When will Ed Witten win a Nobel as well as a Fields medal? I think he deserves both! ( Check out recent papers by Ed Witten, and even more importantly Nathan Seiberg, I worked with his friend Ken Intriligator on this during college). While the Nobel Peace prize is widely criticized by trolls everywhere, the woes of the Nobel Physics prize, which is even more important is almost never criticized. Thats why I am happy Brian Keatingr wrote a book critical of the Nobel Prize. I am probably too set in my disdain for the Nobel Physics Prize to keep interested in the book (I know I probably shouldn't be, but I hate it...), but if you want you can read it, thats why I'm advertising it...

Thank you for clarifying. I'm still a bit lost, but then again I feel off today in general.

I bet most researchers would be honored to receive a Nobel or Fields medal, but I'm not sold on the idea that these awards are negatively impacting the production of scientific literature.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 07/08/2018 01:48
  • Post subject:
creator wrote:
Thank you for clarifying. I'm still a bit lost, but then again I feel off today in general.

I bet most researchers would be honored to receive a Nobel or Fields medal, but I'm not sold on the idea that these awards are negatively impacting the production of scientific literature.

You should definitely check out what Brian wrote rather than me then. Brian is a miraculous writer, and I have first hand experience hearing his lectures, especially his genius for metaphor! From what I read it sounded like he was about to earn a Nobel, but rejected it based on his philosophy expressed in the book. Pop Physics needs to change fast if we are to sustain our future and colonize places such as the moon and mars and Brian Keating is taking aim at one of the worst Pop science offenders, the Nobel.
  • Visit poster's website